PDA

View Full Version : Winter Horses/Summer Horses???

Tuffmug
06-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Big Brown's wilting in the Belmont got me to thinking. Is he a "Winter Horse, i.e. a horse that runs very well at normal or cool temperatures but overheats and underperforms if it is too hot and humid. The converse would be a horse that runs best in the heat but can't run in the cold.

Anyone out there have any examples or thoughts on the idea of a "Winter Horse/Summer Horse" ???

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Funny Cide was a "winter horse" according to Tagg....he did not appreciate the kind of weather we had at Belmont Saturday.

Lateralus
06-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Anyone out there have any examples or thoughts on the idea of a "Winter Horse/Summer Horse" ???

Wow -- I hope others chime in on this one. This could be one hell of a factor to add to one's handicapping I'm sure. I never thought of this, and never saw any mention of it in the numerous handicapping books I've read. Makes perfect sense though in the same way that the very proven dry vs slop factor makes sense. Why not hot / cold / humidity? Could certainly be super valuable in locking in on false favorites, that's for sure.