PDA

View Full Version : big joke

lamboguy
06-07-2008, 09:10 PM
belmont atendance less than 100k today, total handle under 100 million.

big brown= maiden turf win purchase $4 million, maybe sold i heard up to $70 million for suckers

thank you tracknet for your wonderful game plan to take the interest out of horseracing. i promise if you last a little longer you will succeed in killing this great game. i am almost done with this game, the people i am associated with came close to winning the triple crown too. so i do understand the disapointment today, i wanted to see big brown win, it would have been great for the sport. i sugest that the higher ups in this game take a better look at the sport imediately

linrom1
06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Hopefully that'll deep-six that $100 million horse hedge fund idea: that's the last thing that racing needs----selling horseracing shares and fleecing millions in upfront fees from "investors."

I am staying away from any race that has IEAH outfit in.

NoCal Boy
06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I take issue with your conclusions. Handle was nearly $100MM, only 10% less than when Smarty Jones ran in 2004 and I believe at that time the offshores were taking action on NYRA. It appears that the difference relates to lower wagering on the Belmont itself compared to 2004. Its admittedly apples to oranges, but handles were over 30% higher than last year with a not so attractive heavy favorite from a wagering perspective.

acorn54
06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
the point is, for newcomers to the game who wanted to see a triple crown winner, what they witnessed instead was how much luck plays a factor even in a seemingly sure thing and that surley turned off alot of newcomers to the sport of racing. not to mention the dysfunctional mentality of the people running the sport when you need to bet at 2 or 3 different facilities to bet the horses you are interested in across the country. basically the message being sent to people trying to make money on this sport is "don't take your horserace betting too seriously.

ddog
06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
am sure newcomers were shocked to see their money burn up without even seeing a "flop".

however, most of them would likely be busted in a couple of months anyway and out of the game.

Just a guess.

near-dead man walking anyway.

chickenhead
06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
a few of the newcomers are the ones who bet Da Tara.

I'm sure a few of them now think horse racing is the greatest thing ever.

newtothegame
06-07-2008, 10:18 PM
the point is, for newcomers to the game who wanted to see a triple crown winner, what they witnessed instead was how much luck plays a factor even in a seemingly sure thing and that surley turned off alot of newcomers to the sport of racing. not to mention the dysfunctional mentality of the people running the sport when you need to bet at 2 or 3 different facilities to bet the horses you are interested in across the country. basically the message being sent to people trying to make money on this sport is "don't take your horserace betting too seriously.

actually as the name would imply, I am new to the game. I was not in the least turned off by the outcome. And I know this is easy to say after the fact, but I was telling a friend last night at work while reading the form that D tara scared me as I thought he was the lone speed in the race. If he were allowed to run at HIS pace it would be hard for anyone to catch him when they headed for home. My problem was I allowed my "wanting to see a TC winner" and not listening to what was right in front of me.
So, no it hasnt turned me off...as a matter of fact it got me back into the form more today then ever.....

ddog
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM

yes and thems the ones that really got a problem staring at them now.

lamboguy
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
you have to be kidding me! the price of gas in 2004 was $2.00 a gallon, now its $4.00. don't you think the handle should have at least been the same as 2004. it was as nice a day as you could possibly ask for, yet the attendance was less.

all i am saying is tracknet is scaring people away from the game. the drugs are
chasing people away. the tote board changes after the race has started is chasing people away.

the people that that are associated with the game and the animal should talk to the press to explain how his horse blew up the public's money.

there must have been $30 million blown up of peoples money today on big brown, anyone know what the trainer has to say about it?

i wonder if the trainer already got paid from the sale of the horse.

maybe the trainer has no responsibilty to the racing fans. i am probably wrong on this. why should the trainer care at all?

why should anyone care about anyone else but themselves? it would make for a great selfish world. everyone likes that i guess. i am just lost

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
it was as nice a day as you could possibly ask for, yet the attendance was less. As nice a day as you could have asked for? Are you kidding me?

The NY news outlets were warning people of a HEAT ALERT coming into this weekend.

All spring, in the NY metro area, we BARELY touched 80 on a handful of days....and then BANG, Saturday, not only do we get into the 90s, but we have HIGH humidity and NO WIND.

It was BRUTAL out there today, especially if you were in the sun. And even if you weren't in the sun, you were sweating it out, literally.

BUD
06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
The game will be ruined until Wednesday when the 1 million plus carryover is up for grabs......

That outcome is what I find great about this game.....NOTHING in life nor horse racing is a sure thing.....If this game was predictable there would be no money to win...like a 1-5 horse..

Life happens..Big Brown lost.....No Triple Crown this year.......Turn The Page....

Tom
06-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Records day at Belmont:

>First potential triple crown winner to finish last
>Record high temperatures
>Record high beer prices

And you have to pay to get in.:lol::lol::lol:

lamboguy
06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
i have been to the belmont stakes 3 times. twice with horses that i had in the race, both those days were hot as hell. the other time i was there was when conquistador cielo ran, if i remember right it was pouring that day, but it was the best one i was ever at! i had seen woody stevens that morning with my buddy jimmy the greek, he had just run the horse the week before in the metropolitan mile, i asked woody can your horse go a mile and a half, he answered son, i don't put out no short horses. i had a friend send me money western union to bet the horse he paid 10.20 to win!

by the way my condolences go out to billy croll and his mother for a true horsemen, jimmy warren croll, who passed away today. he will be missed, i can't tell you how many times i bailed out of big losses with that mans horses, he was the most go to trainer i have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and he did a great job!

Steve 'StatMan'
06-07-2008, 11:29 PM
As nice a day as you could have asked for? Are you kidding me?

The NY news outlets were warning people of a HEAT ALERT coming into this weekend.

All spring, in the NY metro area, we BARELY touched 80 on a handful of days....and then BANG, Saturday, not only do we get into the 90s, but we have HIGH humidity and NO WIND.

It was BRUTAL out there today, especially if you were in the sun. And even if you weren't in the sun, you were sweating it out, literally.

Maybe the heat and humidity affected Big Brown. I've often read that horses generally like cooler temperatures than humans. Some horses even have problems sweating, or cannot sweat at all. Those horses tend to do poorly racing on a hot day (humidity no help) since their bodies can overheat. I know I have problems on humid days, and esp. on hot & humid days.

Don't know if Big Brown ever had to race on a hot or hot & humid day. He won his debut at Saratoga on 9/3/07, I know the weather can get hot & humid, but don't the weather that particular day. His only other races were at GP 3/5/08 & 3/28/08, and the TC dats, 5/3/08 at CD & 5/17 at PIM. Don't know if any of those days were hot & humid.

Most of us were unsure if we'd see BB again after the Belmont. Frankly, it might be less clear now. The stud deal is done. But will he go to straight to stud, or will they race him again to try to compensate for todays disappointment? Will we ever get to see him run on a hot & humid day, or on a cool weather day, ever again? Some things just aren't knowable.

JustRalph
06-07-2008, 11:30 PM
The game will be ruined until Wednesday when the 1 million plus carryover is up for grabs......

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2008, 03:15 AM
by the way my condolences go out to billy croll and his mother for a true horsemen, jimmy warren croll, who passed away today. he will be missed, i can't tell you how many times i bailed out of big losses with that mans horses, he was the most go to trainer i have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and he did a great job!Hear, hear! A toast to the late, great Warren A. "Jimmy" Croll. Holy Bull, my favorite racehorse of all time, couldn't have asked for a better parter....

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45632.htm

Living Flame
06-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Maybe the heat and humidity affected Big Brown.

Don't know if Big Brown ever had to race on a hot or hot & humid day. .

I read something yesterday or a couple days where Dutrow confirmed that BB had run in hot weather and it didn't bother him. I don't think he was sweating terribly before the Belmont, either.

Sailwolf
06-08-2008, 05:12 AM

I met a few newcomers at Hollywood Park. Some of them bet on the winner. They now think long shots will always come in.

"easy way to make money" ... wait until next time