PDA

View Full Version : How long until the impending retirement announcement?

cj
06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I have no doubt it is coming...

Living Flame
06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
The horse appears sound, but I bet that cracked hoof will somehow "force his retirement." :rolleyes:

Go, Curlin!

Dr.SwineSmeller
06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Big Brown's pedigree by no means puts him in the top twenty active North American studs.

His steroid beefin' history drop him 5 more spots.

His soundness drops him to 30th rank active stud. That stud fee is far from hot dog.

So, we will likely see a year off. Big Brown has to grow his hoof back out. About a year to be sound again.

If I were his connections, I'd breed him sparingly for the next year, then point him to the Breeder's Cup Classic in 2009 with a good tuneup or two first.

AND TAKE CARE OF HIS FOOT whoever Big Brown's NEW TRAINER and NEW VET is when he resumes racing in 2009.

The horse can run, his foot just didn't let him run today. But his team did. So much for the team concept.

mannyberrios
06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
This month

Marshall Bennett
06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
When he turns 65 ? Seriously I look for it within a week .

dutchboy
06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Did not see it but there were comments about Big Brown acting up in the stakes barn this morning and that he may not sound going in to the race.

Really weird why they would run BB 4-5 wide almost the entire race and then pull the horse up. After the race the jockey claimed the horse had no problem. I always thought the stewards required a jockey to continue to ride to the finish unless the horse is hurt.

ddog
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Did not see it but there were comments about Big Brown acting up in the stakes barn this morning and that he may not sound going in to the race.

Really weird why they would run BB 4-5 wide almost the entire race and then pull the horse up. After the race the jockey claimed the horse had no problem. I always thought the stewards required a jockey to continue to ride to the finish unless the horse is hurt.

Kent said he "HAD NO HORSE"
he continued, just very slowly.

NO HORSE , no run, very simple.

dylbert
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
After appropriate time of mourning, BB connections will announce retirement this week.

Tom
06-08-2008, 12:09 AM

They showed him rearing up and acting bad in his stall.
Best to pull up if there is any doubt. That was the only smart think Kent did today.

JustRalph
06-08-2008, 01:42 AM
I hope they lay him off for a month and bring him back on the turf...........

I think he would make a mint on the turf.........and be easier on the feet?

Tuffmug
06-08-2008, 02:30 AM
BB will be back racing. Please bet against him and Dutrow all you want cause I love to cash tickets.

Hedevar
06-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Big Brown will never race again. It isn't about horse racing it is about actuaries.

DeanT
06-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Awesome poll question (that makes us all scratch our head that it is, in this ridiculous business!)

Hedavar is correct, imo. What do the actuaries think? Where are the math guys.

Syndication rights are set on what the stud fee is, as we all know.

What is BB's stud fee now after that race? How much lower than before?

If the powers that be (the accountants) decide that he needs to reprove himself to up the stud fee by X, and the risk is worth the reward because medical reports are good, he'll race - maybe in a soft spot looking for an impressive time. If not, I assume that we will see the "injury forcing him to retirement", with the obligatory "it's sad, because if he raced all year I think he could have shown he was the best horse to ever set foot on a racetrack" talk.

Welcome to racing in the 21st century.

ddog
06-08-2008, 01:20 PM
they will take a little time and within 3 months they will opt out.

IMO.

46zilzal
06-09-2008, 01:25 AM
If the powers that be (the accountants) decide that he needs to reprove himself to up the stud fee by X, and the risk is worth the reward because medical reports are good, he'll race - maybe in a soft spot looking for an impressive time. If not, I assume that we will see the "injury forcing him to retirement", with the obligatory "it's sad, because if he raced all year I think he could have shown he was the best horse to ever set foot on a racetrack" talk.

That would be a first.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Big Brown will never race again. It isn't about horse racing it is about actuaries.You may be right, but that's not what his connections are saying. And why retire now? It's too late to start breeding. He's not injured (at last report). And, he can only ENHANCE his value from here on out after that disastrous Belmont Stakes.

It's pretty much a no-brainer that he goes to the track again. Hopefully, he gets a new jockey as well.

lamboguy
06-09-2008, 06:29 AM
i would love to know what the jockey did wrong in that race. if he didn't urge the horse to go in the begining of the race, then that more than likely were his instructions. when the horse stopped running he pulled the horse out of the race like he should have to prevent an injury.

i had a horse that didn't belong in the belmont race period. the people that bought half the horse insisted on a top jockey at the time, the new york riders were all taken, so he paid $10,000 for a hall of famer from california to come out and ride the horse. i told the guy he was wasting his money, he didn't want to hear it. when the horse only beat 2 horses in the race, he blamed and yelled at the jockey. he got his money's worth.

ghostyapper
06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
And, he can only ENHANCE his value from here on out after that disastrous Belmont Stakes..

Really? A 2nd to tale of ekati in the travers when he isn't completely cooked by the 2nd turn will not hurt his value?

They retire him now they can always say the heat got to him or they discover some injury weeks later, or he just simply didn't have it that day. His race was so bad that its almost not believable, ala slew in the swaps.

They bring this fragile horse with bad feet back out there and he continues to lose, his value will definitely go down.

JustRalph
06-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Really? A 2nd to tale of ekati in the travers when he isn't completely cooked by the 2nd turn will not hurt his value?

They retire him now they can always say the heat got to him or they discover some injury weeks later, or he just simply didn't have it that day. His race was so bad that its almost not believable, ala slew in the swaps.

They bring this fragile horse with bad feet back out there and he continues to lose, his value will definitely go down.

I am not so sure what value he has now? Really? I think the impression made by this Belmont hurt him much more than any race in the future could hurt him. If they can get him ready for "one more big one" and he runs great........big upside. If he runs bad, they find something and away he goes no more damaged than now. They have a huge deal for breeding him..........but if nobody shows up with a mare?? What happens then?

Tom
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
We he pass on his bad feet?
Maybe horses like this shouldn't be bred? I dunno....just asking. :confused:

Hank
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM

The thought of Slew's jackass owner's ignoring Turner's pleas for rest and sending him to the Swaps 3 weeks after the triple crown grind galls me to this day.:mad: and that loss should be expunged from the mighty warrior's record.

racefinder2
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
It would be BEYOND cynical to retire him now.....

I mean, both Dutrows and Desormeauxs reputations were and are on the line with this horse. And the breeder's ! THey havent even had time to sign up seasons - perhaps they were a little hasty in buying this guy BEFORE the Belmont !!!!! Even the owners cant feel good about 'grabbing the money at the top of the market' and leaving the buyers 'holding the bag'(pardon the market terminology) Any 3 yo can throw in a clunker, its just that the timing could not have possibly been worse....hopefully, he will 'get well soon'.

They gotta run him and win with him again, something big.....