PDA

View Full Version : Problem

so.cal.fan
06-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I keep getting warnings.....
Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site http://mymsn.com/. (or whatever internet site I am on)
Operation aborted.....when I click ok it comes up with:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

Other options to try:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

As soon as I refresh the page, it comes back up.
I recently downloaded SKYPE.....would this have anything to do with it, and is there a way I can correct it?
Thanks in advance to any ideas.

so.cal.fan/Diane :confused:

NoDayJob
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Open START > MY COMPUTER > CONTROL PANEL > ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS > REMOVE SKYPE--- If that doesn't work you may have a worm, virus or trojan horse on your 'confuser'.

JBmadera
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
make sure your internet connection is up. i think i get that same error when highspeed is down.

Dave Schwartz
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

This is probably your best clue.

The browser goes to a "designated name server" to look up where to find a website. without that server, the browser does not know where to go.

On my system, we host our own DNS. I can get this message if the DNS is down or the number is wrong.

Now, with all the other problems, it might well be a virus or other malware. "DNS cannot be resolved" is another error. I'd contact my provider and ask them about DNS.

Of course, first I'd talk to Ralph. :ThmbUp:

Dave

so.cal.fan
06-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I run a pretty good virus/worm protection software.
Nod32 ESET. I just recently put in a new version of that.......bought it, I should say.
I run the scan, never comes up with anything.
When I first got the new software, it stopped a couple of worm emails, put them in an infected folder.....I deleted the folder, could that be a problem?
I also run SpySweeper to detect spy ware.
I freqently delete temp. files, as suggested by Ralph.
I'm on cable.
My computer this morning put up a prompt to delete unused files.
I ran it and it freed up a lot of disc space.

so.cal.fan
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't know if this is related or not....but I still get those blank email everyday, which my computer automatically deletes.

JustRalph
06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
run system restore and go back to pior to installing skype............

might be a quick fix...........and give you some info............

Use System Restore
After you've decided to use System Restore to revert your system to a previous state, start the System Restore Wizard and follow the prompts. To use the System Restore Wizard, make sure you're logged on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, as shown in Figure 2, and then click Next.

Figure 2

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

so.cal.fan
06-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Ralph!
I'll try that today!
I was using my SKYPE to talk to a friend in New Zealand....but if it is going to mess up my computer, I'll take it out.

tupper
06-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I was using my SKYPE to talk to a friend in New Zealand....but if it is going to mess up my computer, I'll take it out.A live CD will run Skype, without touching your computer's hard drives.

No installation, and the software is free.

so.cal.fan
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
That's good to know, tupper. Thanks. I'll contact the company.
I don't often use SKYPE.
I just took it off this morning, I'm curious to see if the trouble goes away.
I've been running in depth scans on my anti-virus/worm software.....they haven't found any threats.
I delete spyware nearly everyday via Webroot.
I'll be curious to see if those blank emails stop coming in.

robert99
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Two quick things to check:

1. Repair your network connection by right clicking the network icon in the taskbar (bottom of main screen) and selecting "Repair". (You seem to imply that emails are still getting through to your machine?)

2. Go to Start/Run/ type in "CMD"/ type in ping 64.233.187.99 after the ">" sign

That gets to Google.com without using any DNS sever. If it replies, then you or your ISP have a DNS problem. If no response your network settings have been changed so you are no longer connecting either to ISP or internet.

Blank emails are another issue and Skype installation software is sound.
Clean out junk files with CCleaner again and retry. Switch off cable router power and back on again after 20 seconds wait.

so.cal.fan
06-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks, so much for the tips!
This computer forum is better than calling a tech support guy or gal in India!
I sure appreciate you guys helping, after several years on this board, I've learned more about computers than taking classes!

ranchwest
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
One time I was on a Clipper programming forum and someone asked about lawnmowers.

A couple of years later, someone asked if anyone remembered the moron who stumbled into the Clipper forum and asked about lawnmowers. The "moron" replied that he was a regular on the Clipper forum, but he figured that there were so many smart people on the forum that he'd likely do well to ask about lawnmowers.

Sorta the way it is here. In fact, I recently asked about lawnmowers here myself. Just don't ask for political advice. lol

As to the internet problem, do you live in a neighborhood where there might be a lot of cable installations/changes/cancellations/etc.? When I was on cable, my cable would be off a few hours almost every week while they worked on the neighbors' lines.

so.cal.fan
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
LOL
I get all my political advice from the Off Topic forum!
:jump:

Snag
06-09-2008, 07:12 PM
LOL
I get all my political advice from the Off Topic forum!
:jump:

You are the smartest person around.......Keep up the good work :lol: :lol: