PDA

View Full Version : DLS Home Networking Question

GR1@HTR
02-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Problem/Question: I am running DSL w/ a Westell modem w/ one computer attached and want to add another computer. I was told to get a router to solve this problem.

Questons:
1) Will any cheapo router work?
2) I have a used Netopia R7200 SDSL Router from work that I can use. Will this work? If so, is it plug and play or plug and pain?
3) Also have a Hawking 8 Port Ethernet MiniHub. Can I use this?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Schwartz
02-24-2003, 10:56 AM
A better solution is to network the two computers and use a proxy.

If you have an XP machine I believe there is a wizard for it.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

GR1@HTR
02-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out tonight.

Boris
02-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Not sure about the Netopia router, but would expect it will work fine. If it doesn't have any extra ports on it, you would need the hub. Linksys has some inexpensive stuff that I use both at home and at work. Very easy to install and set up. I just bought the wireless version for my new house, but have not install that on as yet. Should be able to surf on the back patio from my notebook in the near future. If you have trouble, get the Linksys 4 port DSL/Cable router. It's P&P.

kitts
02-24-2003, 12:38 PM
I bought a $99 two port Siemens router from CompUSA and it worked out of the box no extra work for me (two computers share my cable modem connection.) It did come with software and docs.

GR1@HTR
03-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Question about the Linksys Wireless Router.

1) If I go with the Linksys wireless, can I have my main PC set up on a land line (faster speed) and the laptops on wireless (slower speed?) or do all computers have to be set up on wireless?

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Glenn,

You can do that. But why would you?

Dave

GR1@HTR
03-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey Dave,

My currentl DSL dowload is about 1100. I assume that going wireless will slow down my connection? If so, I would like to maintain the fast DSL download to the computer I'll using 90% of the time. Also, it would save me the price of purchasing an extra wireless LAN card. BTW, anybody know what the wireless download max speed is?

Boris
03-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Will not set mine up till I'm back in FL, but you get 11Mbps @ 100ft. Plenty quick for downloading while pitching the frizbee with the hound in the back yard. Spec sheet at www.linksys.com. You can use the regular nic in your desktop and get a wireless one for your notebook.

Tom
03-13-2003, 05:20 PM
My downlaod speed with RoadRunner is between
482 and 571 kbps.

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Glenn,

Wireless is going to give you about 3-4mb per second, even though they promise more.

A T-1 line is 1.5 mbs.

If you are getting 1100kbs that is 1.1mbs, or about 110,000 characters per second.

Since that is is slower than the wireless network speed, you should see no slowdown whatsoever.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2003, 09:55 PM
The difference between DSL and Cable Modem:

Tom's DSL=482-571 kbps

My Cable Modem=4816 kbps

Test yours where I tested mine:

nyc.speakeasy.net

or click the following to choose your locations:

http://www.speakeasy.net/main.php?page=sup_pops

then choose Local User Throughput Testing Page

JustRalph
03-13-2003, 11:13 PM
This is mine...

1226 kbps

If you are getting twice that........you are kicking ass! But your numbers are an outrage!

Mine is DSL from SBC.

David McKenzie
03-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
1226 kbps...Mine is DSL from SBC.

My DSL from SBC:

Download = 949 kbps
Upload = 225 kbps

Like they say in Hollywood, "Location, location location!"

Trijack
03-14-2003, 10:56 AM
My cable modem from Cox Cable in Orange County, Ca.

Down Load=2037 kbps

GR1@HTR
03-14-2003, 11:00 AM
DaveS,

That is good news about wireless. I guess I was thinking wireless was slower since current mobile wireless service is very slow...ie 56K...But that is different technology....Off to Fry's I go...

Tom
03-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
The difference between DSL and Cable Modem:

Tom's DSL=482-571 kbps

My Cable Modem=4816 kbps

Actaully, my RoadRunner is cable-and I bet I pay the same as you do for that HUGE difference.
This may explain why you love YouBet and I don't? <G>

so.cal.fan
03-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Adelphia Cable:
Your download speed : 3009958 bps, or 3009 kbps.
:)
Just hope they don't go out of business!

GR1@HTR
03-15-2003, 10:02 PM
I took the plunge today. Got the Linksys Router and one wireless NIC card for the laptop. Speed for both the desktop and laptop are still the same.

:)

Speed Figure
03-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Which one is better Cable or DSL? I'm going to get the one that's best. They call Me MR. 56K:(

so.cal.fan
03-16-2003, 11:15 AM
I don't know enough to answer that, speed figure. I can only tell you when I wanted to get a high speed connection, I found that DSL was as expensive as cable. (I live in Sierra Madre...San Gabriel Valley). It was also unavailable with some companies.
So.......I got Adelphia cable.....and it works very well.
I would check the charges in your area.......perhaps go to a local library where they have computers and ask them?
They usually have several computers available to the public.

Tom
03-16-2003, 01:21 PM
PA
Thanks for the links. I tried it and my speed there was 1758! Big diff.
I am calling my local RR Moday to find out why. I have tested locally 8 times and never got above 500+.

Dave Schwartz
03-17-2003, 11:32 PM
So, you want a wireless netowrk, huh? How about one with a 10 mile range?

Check this out.

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

Dave

ThoroTech_OPLS
03-17-2003, 11:43 PM
I have Earthlink DSL and am close to the Telephone hub - 1250KB/sec download speed. I don't even have cable television. If they'd give me cable TV included with the Internet access I'd sign up <g>.

Couple of questions, though:
A) How are you all getting these speeds. I used the java applets at DSLReports.com

B) I heard that Cable can be screaming fast, but its shared. DSL, on the other hand, is your own resource. So, if you're using your Cable modem and everyone on your block tunes into the afternoon soaps, your bandwidth dries up substantially. Am I wrong about this, that cable bandwidth is shared?

(Note, I'm not talking about general internet congestion here).

JustRalph
03-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
So, you want a wireless netowrk, huh? How about one with a 10 mile range? Check this out.
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html Dave

Dave:

Very cool site. I wonder about the ten mile range. But I heard some stories about college kids at Ohio State taking their interior dorm connections and using an Apple Airport to broadcast their connections to the next dorm over and into the parking lot for laptops. They were using old DirectTV dishes. Very interesting. I would think you would have to be very careful on your security setup when you are broadcasting over a ten mile range. It sounds like the system would be hard to log into unless you were very near the receiving attenna.
:cool:

GameTheory
03-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by ThoroTech_OPLS
I have Earthlink DSL and am close to the Telephone hub - 1250KB/sec download speed. I don't even have cable television. If they'd give me cable TV included with the Internet access I'd sign up <g>.

Couple of questions, though:
A) How are you all getting these speeds. I used the java applets at DSLReports.com

B) I heard that Cable can be screaming fast, but its shared. DSL, on the other hand, is your own resource. So, if you're using your Cable modem and everyone on your block tunes into the afternoon soaps, your bandwidth dries up substantially. Am I wrong about this, that cable bandwidth is shared?

(Note, I'm not talking about general internet congestion here).

Cable bandwidth is shared, yes, but I don't believe it has anything to do with regular cable television watching -- only other people nearby using the cable internet will affect your connection. In practice, I don't think it is much of a problem -- more hype from the competition than anything else. (The area you share with is typically not very large.) In any case, I've had RoadRunner for a year or so now and never had any problems with lack of speed...

ThoroTech_OPLS
03-18-2003, 01:28 AM
May be time to look into the cable modem... Everyone here is above the 2K barrier, some hitting 4K+ -- wow!

I thought I was king of the hill at 1250 with DSL...

Damn, I don't have cable wired in my office.... yet....

Anyone having poor cable speed performance?

BillW
03-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ThoroTech_OPLS

That's an interesting point. Does anyone know what protocol is used for digital cable transmission. I would assume some sort of multicast protocol (i.e. one transmission stream, multiple receivers), but have never heard. If done like TCP/IP, load would accumulate and certainly be inefficient (As the user base grew).

Bill

JustRalph
03-18-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by BillW
If done like TCP/IP, load would accumulate and certainly be inefficient (As the user base grew). Bill

It's normally TCP/IP and it can be a problem. It is no different than setting up that network in your house unless your cable company promises you more bandwidth for more money. When time Warner Roadrunner first started in Columbus Ohio they offered people more bandwidth for a larger price. But they were accomplishing it by routing you differently based on your IP address. It was easy to do. Then the subscriber base took off and they couldn't promise anybody anything. They just couldn't keep up. They got rid of static IP addresses and went to flat rate billing.

I used to run a tech support call center and we would get calls from customers complaining about slow downs around 7p every night. Right after dinner everybody would sit down at their computers. They would re-test their connections at midnight or maybe 2 a.m. and they would be back up to speed. It can happen, think about a water pipe. Same principle, more users less pressure. But most cable companies seem to keep up. They upgrade their systems fast enough to keep things "worth it" . I have heard stories about cable companies getting low on funds and suddenly the upgrades stop and the slower the connections get. We had a large customer base in Philly and apparently Adelphia bought out a small local provider and stopped upgrades when the money got short. They called constantly about slow downs. Then Adelphia went bankrupt or something and they all got shut off. The equipment was bought out by AOL -Time Warner and things got back to normal in a few months. But the rates went up $4.99 a month.

I can tell you this, at a certain point you can have all the bandwidth in the world and you won't be doing any better than the guy next door if the server or system you are connecting to on the other end is not able to serve you the data fast enough. If you are getting 1200 or so on a connection and upgrade to a 2400 or 4800 connection like PA has, I bet a bunch of the stuff you connect to won't be any faster because the servers on the other end aren't putting it out fast enough to keep up with your upgraded connection. But the stuff that can keep up will be very nice. Especially if it's video or downloading files. But it's very hard to tell whether it's worth it. Every user will have different results. Wait until this war starts and see how slow the MSNBC's and CNN's of the world get. :D :cool:

Dave Schwartz
03-18-2003, 03:54 AM
You want to see the fastest connection I have ever heard of?

Check THIS out...

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/en/bflets.html

I discovered this when I was in Japan last year... a 100mb internet connection for, get this... around $75 per month!

Dave

BillW
03-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Ralph,

Sorry for being unclear. I was refering to the video information in the above post (i.e. the "cable TV" signals).

Bill

JustRalph
03-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Now you are talking about slicing frequencies down a cable. That can be a explained but, I am not the man for it. As I understand it the different channels arrive at the TV tuner or box at slightly different intervals via the same positive and negative wire (coax) and the tuners sort it out. For a more detailed and fascinating explanation try one of the best web sites in the world. If you have kids they should be using this one:

www.howstuffworks.com is the entry to the site.

This is from their search engine using the phrase "Cable Tv"
Hit this one below for the cable explanation:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/cable-tv.htm

:cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :cool: :cool:

Dave Schwartz
03-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Ralph,

What a great site. Thanks.

But a warning: Don't venture in there without a popup blocker.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

BillW
03-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Ralph,

What a great site. Thanks.

But a warning: Don't venture in there without a popup blocker.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Does it explain how pop-ups work ... and how they can be defeated? :D

Bill

Dave Schwartz
03-18-2003, 12:00 PM
BillW,

www.panicware.com

Good (and free) popup stopper.

Dave

BillW
03-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Dave,

Already running Mozilla here. It blocks them without need for external software. Just thought that would be ironic :)

Bill