PDA

View Full Version : Second Poll for our organization name.

Murph
06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Here is a list of names for the new handicappers organization. Please vote and make your voice heard. Suggestions from the previous poll thread are included here and the choices are narrowed to 4 names and a "none of the above" option.

Swetyejohn will confirm our next meeting date. It is tentatively scheduled for next Wed. June 11 at 10 pm. Stay tuned here for the details. We are scheduled to select a name, a URL or list of URL's, confirm the website host and programmer volunteer and propose our mission statement. Our first meetings were productive and interesting. We invite everyone to join us and propose yor ideas for the issues we will want to present forour cause.

Murph

ddog
06-06-2008, 01:10 AM
i wasn't in any of the meetings and have not looked at all the threads, but why not lay it out there?

horse players united to save racing.

Indulto
06-06-2008, 01:18 AM
N.A.T.P.A. - North American Thoroughbred Players Association/Alliance
P.S.F.S - Pari-mutuel Society for Fair Standards
I.A.H. - International Association/Alliance of Horseplayers
U.P.W.A. - United Pari-mutuel Wagering Alliance/Association
None of the above.Murph,
Thanks for all your work.

If possible, I'd like to see at least one other variation of the above:

N.A.H.A. - North American Horseplayer Alliance(/Association)

I don't bet harness races myself, but harness players are thoroughbred players' closest relatives (in fact many excellent symposiums have been held in joint forums) and it seems inappropriate to inadvertently offend or turn away any of them.

Murph
06-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Noted.

Let's address that at the meeting when we vote on the name. I am all for making the wording inclusive as opposed to selective. We'll be able to address the details then and make an informed choice.

I really apprecieate your comments, thank you.
Murph,
Thanks for all your work.

If possible, I'd like to see at least one other variation of the above:

N.A.H.A. - North American Horseplayer Alliance(/Association)

I don't bet harness races myself, but harness players are thoroughbred players' closest relatives (in fact many excellent symposiums have been held in joint forums) and it seems inappropriate to inadvertently offend or turn away any of them.

Murph
06-06-2008, 01:43 AM
i wasn't in any of the meetings and have not looked at all the threads, but why not lay it out there?

horse players united to save racing.The devil is in the details ddog. I hope you can attend the next meeting but if you cannot I will have your interests in mind when I vote. Thanks for helping here.

Murph

wes
06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Name needs the ability to bring attention to all types of play not just the ones who bet Thoroughbred's. Better to have all players of all type represented.
It will take as many names as we can get to get a better response to the problem that affect all on line players. The total count of the board members who belong do not have to be broken down into each group. Let the whole group support each other.

wes

KingChas
06-06-2008, 08:45 AM
P.S.F.S - Pari-mutuel Society for Fair Standards

What? Sounds like a union for the ticket punchers. :D

KingChas
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Guys, great thing you are attempting here. :ThmbUp:

I do not mean to come across as brash or rude.

But in order to change things we need mass numbers of players.
These names come across as an elite stuffy club - unrecognizable.

If I was not into Horseracing I wouldn't know the difference between NATPA or NTRA.

The name must be recognized by Joe Bettor,The hardcore player and the casual bettor,new fan and weekend Joe or Joan.(all)

I originally submitted Horseplayers Org OF Fair Standards (HOOFS) so common people could see the realationship.Let HOOFS be heard! lol

Not campaining to use that.But......

We need a distinct Acronym (sic?) to set us apart.
We need to do better than the names so far.(NO Disrespect Guys)
Lets git r done. :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
If the winner in the SECOND poll is going to be "none of the above". I think this process has went on too long. :bang:

There are a few "show stoppers' IMO. Something with the word handicap in it and an acronym people could make fun of like W.A.A. or U.F.O.

But at this rate, I think the only solution would to nominate 2 or 3 people for a name committee and let them decide. Too many hands in the soup right now.

Jim

Jeff P
06-06-2008, 06:18 PM
If the winner in the SECOND poll is going to be "none of the above". I think this process has went on too long.

There are a few "show stoppers' IMO. Something with the word handicap in it and an acronym people could make fun of like W.A.A. or U.F.O.I tend to agree with you. And like most, my gut keeps telling me to vote none of the above. Kind of sad that we can't even (or haven't yet been able to) come up with a name. I'm going to throw a handful of new names out there in the hopes that one of them might stick out. I don't think we need anything too clever. Just something the avg bettor can recognize at gut level as something that he or she wants to support.

Organized Horseplayers of North America
United Horseplayers of North America

Organized Horserace Bettors of North America
United Horserace Bettors of North America

Organized Horseracing Bettors of North America
United Horseracing Bettors of North America

Organized Horse Bettors of North America
United Horse Bettors of North America

Horserace Bettors Association
Horserace Bettors Alliance
Horserace Bettors Organization
Horserace Bettors United

Horseracing Bettors Association
Horseracing Bettors Alliance
Horseracing Bettors Organization
Horseracing Bettors United

North American Horseracing Bettors Association
North American Horseracing Bettors Alliance
North American Horseracing Bettors Organization
North American Horseracing Bettors United

North American Horserace Bettors Association
North American Horserace Bettors Alliance
North American Horserace Bettors Organization
North American Horserace Bettors United

North American Horse Bettors Association
North American Horse Bettors Alliance
North American Horse Bettors Organization
North American Horse Bettors United

I say we pick a name and get the ball rolling... put our goals up on a site where bettors can see them... and provide a button or link that gives people a way to join up... and then get some press releases out there to the racing community (The DRF and The Bloodhorse come to mind) so we can start drawing attention to ourselves.

-jp

KingChas
06-06-2008, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff P]

Organized Horserace Bettors of North America
United Horserace Bettors of North America

Organized Horseracing Bettors of North America
United Horseracing Bettors of North America

Horserace Bettors Association
Horserace Bettors Alliance
Horserace Bettors Organization
Horserace Bettors United

Horseracing Bettors Association
Horseracing Bettors Alliance
Horseracing Bettors Organization
Horseracing Bettors United

North American Horseracing Bettors Association
North American Horseracing Bettors Organization
North American Horseracing Bettors United

North American Horserace Bettors Association
North American Horserace Bettors Alliance
North American Horserace Bettors Organization
North American Horserace Bettors United

North American Horse Bettors Association
North American Horse Bettors Alliance
North American Horse Bettors Organization
North American Horse Bettors United

-jp

.[/QUOTE

Do not take this personally, I reiterate,
These names come across as an elite stuffy club - unrecognizable.

Indulto
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I tend to agree with you. And like most, my gut keeps telling me to vote none of the above. Kind of sad that we can't even (or haven't yet been able to) come up with a name. I'm going to throw a handful of new names out there in the hopes that one of them might stick out. I don't think we need anything too clever. Just something the avg bettor can recognize at gut level as something that he or she wants to support.
. . .
. . .
. . .

I say we pick a name and get the ball rolling... put our goals up on a site where bettors can see them... and provide a button or link that gives people a way to join up... and then get some press releases out there to the racing community (The DRF and The Bloodhorse come to mind) so we can start drawing attention to ourselves.

-jpJP,
You and I are very close as I thought

North American Horseplayer's Alliance

was short and to the point. My problem with Horserace Bettors, Horseracing bettors, and Horse Bettors is that I've never heard anyone use those terms in over 40 years at the races.

I guess I could live with

Parimutuel Bettor Alliance of North America
or
North American Parimutuel Bettor Alliance

but horseplayers are what we are and every horseplayer recognizes that term. How many non-horseplayers are likely to get involved, anyway?

To help get this over with, I give you my proxy. I'm out of the naming business (except for purposes of entertainment, of course ;)).

KingChas
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
JP,

but horseplayers are what we are and every horseplayer recognizes that term. How many non-horseplayers are likely to get involved, anyway?

Two polls.

We drew 75 votes.

singletax
06-06-2008, 09:12 PM
1) I'm with you whatever the final name.

2) Down the road I suggest an appeal to senior citizens with an article or advertisment in AARP Magazine. When I go to the local off track betting institutions I see a lot of seniors betting license plate #s, birthdays, and some handicappers too.

3) We should include Harness and Dogs to broaden our base.

4) The suggestions so far imply we are an organization kind of like a think tank. The average bettor has little concern for the Horse Racing Industry. Their interest IMO would be selfish as in lower track takeout= higher payoffs. Taxation issues would incite them to join.

5) Maybe the name of the organization would be different from the WEB site? I suggest including "emotion" and "action" in the WEB name to expand the base. Some of my ideas to kick around.

"Bettors are Voters"
"Paramutuel Justice"
"Paramutuel Sanity Now"
"Respect the Bettor"
"Bettors Come First"
"Stop Abusing the Bettor"

Murph
06-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I have done the very best I can with the input that is given.

Please, any of you with a better method or idea on how to accomplish this task, take the lead here. It is noted that the process is gone on long enough. I would ask that a better idea be carried forward by those who may know better than me how to effctively accomplish the task at hand.

Murph

asH
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Horseplayers Alliance of North America

H A N A

DJofSD
06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Alrighty then, here's your name: Sick and Tired of not having a place at the table.

There, I said it. Any one else feel that way?

And if we don't get something going, you guys can use one of my oldies but goodies: BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

beenacoach
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Part of the problem is that we are trying to be very very democratic while using a media that makes being democratic extremely cumbersome.

Trying not to step on anyones toes means doing a lot of senseless dancing around and perhaps we need to do more marching forward and not worry about a toe or two. If that is the case say so in here and I will do all I can to see that the next meeting sees it happen.

Jeff P
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Do not take this personally, I reiterate,
These names come across as an elite stuffy club - unrecognizable.No offense taken... just throwing names out there to see if any might stick.

What are we? In reality we are Horseplayers Against Industry Stupidity. At least I know that I am. Oh how I'd LOVE to be able to use that name. But something inside me says we'll go further as an organitzation if our name isn't blatantly negative or critical of the industry... despite what I personally might think when I see what those running the industry have put into practice.

One thing I do agree with is that we ARE horseplayers. I think it takes one to know one. On a very deep level every horseplayer at heart understands what the term horseplayer means.

I DO think our name should use the word Horseplayer.

We are also located in North America. Horseplayers Alliance of North America

H A N AThat name works very well for me. :ThmbUp:

-jp

Indulto
06-07-2008, 01:03 AM
No offense taken... just throwing names out there to see if any might stick.

What are we? In reality we are Horseplayers Against Industry Stupidity. At least I know that I am. Oh how I'd LOVE to be able to use that name. But something inside me says we'll go further as an organitzation if our name isn't blatantly negative or critical of the industry... despite what I personally might think when I see what those running the industry have put into practice.

One thing I do agree with is that we ARE horseplayers. I think it takes one to know one. On a very deep level every horseplayer at heart understands what the term horseplayer means.

We are also located in North America. That name works very well for me. :ThmbUp:

-jp

.I second H.A.N.A. All in favor?

Murph
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Just something the avg bettor can recognize at gut level as something that he or she wants to support.

We are also located in North America. That name works very well for me. :ThmbUp:
I believe there is consensus to make those points.

Horseplayers Alliance of North America

H A N A

That name works for me the same. :ThmbUp:

Kelso
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I second H.A.N.A. All in favor?AYE

ryesteve
06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
If there are state chapters to this organization, will we have a H.A.N.A Montana?

For that reason alone, I vote "yes" :D

Tom
06-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Horse Player's Alliance HPA
Simple - cover all topics down the road.

Indulto
06-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Horse Player's Alliance HPA
Simple - cover all topics down the road.Tom,
You are the recipient of the H.A.N.A. Barbara award for best foreplay adaptation -- "Monkey see, Monkey don't do.":lol:

TrifectaMike
06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I'll try it again....

National Horseplayers Association

Simple and direct. NHA

Mike

Cangamble
06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
People Expecting Lower Takeouts.

I like PELT because it could piss off PETA.

Cangamble
06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I'll try it again....

National Horseplayers Association

Simple and direct. NHA

Mike
I like that, except I'm Canadian. Mind you, there are American teams in the National Hockey League:)

highnote
06-09-2008, 01:53 AM
It's very difficult to find a name that is catchy (Railbird Union) and also says exactly what it is (National Association of Horseracing Bettors). That's why acronyms are useful.

Personally, I like HANA.

It sounds good in conversation. For example, "Hey, Joe. Are you going to the HANA meeting at the Spa next month?"

I think getting the right name is very important even if it takes longer than we all want. There are many things to work on in the meantime.

HUSKER55
06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I think a correct name is very important and if it takes time then it takes time. I'm with sweetyjohn. on this.

If all you want is a cute acronyn then use BBB for Best Bet for Betters but down the rode I don't think so.

IMHO

husker55

asH
06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
It's very difficult to find a name that is catchy (Railbird Union) and also says exactly what it is (National Association of Horseracing Bettors). That's why acronyms are useful.

Personally, I like HANA.

It sounds good in conversation. For example, "Hey, Joe. Are you going to the HANA meeting at the Spa next month?"

I think getting the right name is very important even if it takes longer than we all want. There are many things to work on in the meantime.

:ThmbUp: I agree...
immediate recognition, and a bit of fun to it

NHA- National Hockey Association?