PDA

View Full Version : BloodHorse Story on NYCOTB

startngate
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I know I've taken a hard line against the horsemen's position in the whole THG/TrackNet/ADW debate, but just in case anyone wonders how the horsemen feel about the customer, I offer up this from Rick Violette, Jr. the President of the NY Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association regarding the proposed deal to bail out NYCOTB:

“There are other options available to NYCOTB,” Violette said. “These include, but are not limited to, increasing the surcharge on winning bets made through its branches or institute them on bets made via the telephone; retention of its un-cashed pari-mutuel tickets, ... "

Not that the legislators are any better:

" ... Democratic Assemblyman Gary Pretlow of Westchester County said lawmakers are considering a deal that would restructure NYCOTB revenue sharing with tracks, horsemen, and breeders. Pretlow said NYRA, which would take a $12-million hit, would be compensated through an increase in pari-mutuel takeout."

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45575.htm

Looks like not only are the customers who frequent the OTB's expected to pay the bailout, but now ALL of us who wager on NYRA may get to throw in some more money too.

Bruddah
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
More of screw the bettor (tax payer) and give them no say and no alternatives. Don't you just love our Politicians. It's not just local or regional but national. Just wait until this new group comes to power nationally and I'm not speaking Dem's or Repub's because it doesn't matter which ones. It just more of Tax and Spend...Tax and Spend. :ThmbDown:

There will have to be a taxpayer revolt one day. The best thing that could be done, is no more than 2 terms allowed at any level. That eliminates the issues of power and back to citizens serving for the betterment of the nation and community. It would also help to get this two party crap system under control. Serve two terms...thanks for serving...you're outta here. :jump:

Kelso
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
"GIMME, GIMME, GIMME ... MINE, MINE, MINE!
(And shit on the degenerates who pay all our bills.)"

beenacoach
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I hate to break it to you but the "degenerates" don't pay all of the horsemen's bills. There are LOTS of horse owners out there that make there living far far away from the track and pay their own bills. Turning a profit two years out of seven, or whatever it is, to keep the IRS happy is a pipe dream for many owners. Just like the "degenerate gamblers" any mony they do make they put back into the industry.

The surest way to make a small fortune is to go into owning race horses having a big fortune.

I am not saying that the horseplayers shouldn't have a voice or look out for their own interests, but your constant attacks on horse owners get a little old at times.

Kelso
06-06-2008, 11:46 PM
The surest way to make a small fortune is to go into owning race horses having a big fortune.Are we supposed to feel sorry for you guys now ... that you can't make a profit off your chosen hobby? You sure make it appear that way.

I remind you that the horsemen kicked off this latest ... and excruciatingly selfish ... money grab; NOT the players. And that money for which the greedy bastards are grabbing is the only money available for lower takeouts and higher rebates.

I am not saying that the horseplayers shouldn't have a voice or look out for their own interests, but your constant attacks on horse owners get a little old at times.If your sensitivities are so easily offended, and in anticipation of such "times" as will most assuredly come, I strongly suggest you consider the IGGY opthion.

In the meantime, every demand for greater guarantees for horsemen is an assault on my interests as a player and, in self defense, I will continue to return fire. When the owners stop being greedy bastards, I'll no longer have to (in your mischaracterization) "attack."

trigger
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I know I've taken a hard line against the horsemen's position in the whole THG/TrackNet/ADW debate, but just in case anyone wonders how the horsemen feel about the customer, I offer up this from Rick Violette, Jr. the President of the NY Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association regarding the proposed deal to bail out NYCOTB:

“There are other options available to NYCOTB,” Violette said. “These include, but are not limited to, increasing the surcharge on winning bets made through its branches or institute them on bets made via the telephone; retention of its un-cashed pari-mutuel tickets, ... "

Not that the legislators are any better:

" ... Democratic Assemblyman Gary Pretlow of Westchester County said lawmakers are considering a deal that would restructure NYCOTB revenue sharing with tracks, horsemen, and breeders. Pretlow said NYRA, which would take a $12-million hit, would be compensated through an increase in pari-mutuel takeout."

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45575.htm

Looks like not only are the customers who frequent the OTB's expected to pay the bailout, but now ALL of us who wager on NYRA may get to throw in some more money too.
Quote from the BH article:
"Violette said that in 1990, about 95% of all bets placed at NYCOTB were on New York races, but in 2007, the figure was less than 30% because the OTB corporation imported more and more out-of-state races at the expense of in-state tracks and horsemen."
Sounds like he thinks that NYCOTBs should only simulcast NY races...talk about exclusivity!!!!!

Tom
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I cancelled my WOTB account a coupl of years ago.
I would rather not bet than do business with those morons. In fact, because of that, I can no longer bet my home track, FL. C'est live.

Supporting OTB is encourging the worst in racing. Racing would be far better off without OTB. Anyone else can do that same job better, cheaper, cleaner.

The day I called them, I felt so......clean.

ryesteve
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
"Violette said that in 1990, about 95% of all bets placed at NYCOTB were on New York races, but in 2007, the figure was less than 30% because the OTB corporation imported more and more out-of-state races at the expense of in-state tracks and horsemen."This is a completely idiotic analysis. The percent of handle is meaningless. For all we know, the NY handle has grown and the out-of-state handle is all incremental. If I'm betting 10 tracks, and 9 of those options are taken away, only a fool would conclude that I'd start betting 10 times as much at the one track still available to me, in order to keep my action level.

Onsager
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
This entire situation is so very very sad and totally self defeating.

As a 'non resident alien' observing this sorry state of affairs - can I ask the following ?

Are not NY racing products potentially some of the best racing / wagering products on offer anywhere in the world ?

Why all of this continued relative BS ?

Seemingly Beautiful 'testtube' / scientific case for systematic administrative and ego / greed based meltdown?'

Really, really sad !

Do some day,I have to suggest a final RIP deathknell call for NY / NYRA racing products.

Thoughts ?

Onsager