PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jorge Velasquez

OTM Al
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
PA has given me permission to post an advertisement for those of you going to Belmont on Saturday.

Jorge Velasquez will be signing autographs on the 2nd floor of the clubhouse from 11-12 and 1st floor of the grandstand from 2-3. There will be a charge of $10 for the signed photos of him on Alydar. The money all goes to Jorge, but because he's a pretty good guy, he always donates a chunk of what he gets for appearances to the Disabled Jockey's Fund. Jorge said he'd be bringing along the saddle he used when riding Alydar along with a couple of trophies he won and some other momentos of his career.

They actually tried to get Steve Cauthen to appear also and there was also some thought of getting all 5 of the jockies in the 78 Belmont to appear together, but unfortunately Cauthen was unable to come. But if you are around you can pick up a great souvenier and meet a really good guy. He also kind of likes it when you ask him about Chris Evert or Davona Dale.

I have a flier but it was a bit too big to attach so I've shrunk it down and changed formats so I hope you can see it ok

OTM Al
06-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks to anyone who came to meet Jorge. You may have also had the pleasure of meeting his good friend Miguel who was with him. Little Current fans may remember him....He was absolutely mobbed and very much enjoyed meeting so many fans. Evidently someone even offered him $300 for a signed copy of one of the promo posters, which was as easily said as done. So a good amount of money was raised for the Disabled Jockey's Fund and Jorge did alright too. Hopefully he will making an appearance again in the future.