PDA

View Full Version : Sartin's Ultrascan Program Manual

lsosa54
06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Might anyone have a dusty old one sitting in a basement somewhere that they are willing to part with or let me copy? The program was $69 back in 1984 or so and came with a manual and tapes. Yes, it was manual entry and dos based.

My main interest is in the manual but if someone has the Ultrascan program or programs called Combo Scan and/or Par Generator Plus from the same time period sitting around unused, please pm me. If you're concerned, they will NOT be put on Ebay, not that there would be a huge demand.

Thank you.

BeatTheChalk
06-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Might anyone have a dusty old one sitting in a basement somewhere that they are willing to part with or let me copy? The program was $69 back in 1984 or so and came with a manual and tapes. Yes, it was manual entry and dos based.

My main interest is in the manual but if someone has the Ultrascan program or programs called Combo Scan and/or Par Generator Plus from the same time period sitting around unused, please pm me. If you're concerned, they will NOT be put on Ebay, not that there would be a huge demand.

Thank you.

Whoa ! I recall a seminar -- In Beaumont - 100 Light years ago :lol:
Howard had introduced U/S -- but Brohamer didn't warm up to it
early on. But when some of the boys and girls started getting these
long shots ..TB said " I am going into it Kicking and Screaming. "
I tried it for a while .. on a Commodore 64. As for any manuals or
doc - umentation .. nada.

Dick Schmidt
06-02-2008, 03:42 AM
BTC,

I have a copy of US for the PC that I've offered to send to people. Send me an e-mail (not a PM here on PA) and I'll give you a copy. It is manual entry, of course, and runs in a DOS window.

The manual is another story, I do have one, but only one and I think I'll keep it. It wasn't much use anyway. The program has both a primary and a secondary (called 3rd fraction) adjustments and Doc absolutely refused to tell anyone how to use them in advance of the race. He knew that if you fooled around with the settings and maybe picked a few "loom off the page" pacelines, you could win just about any race. Of course you needed to know the winner but that's how he usually worked.

If I remember correctly, Jim Bradshaw used US quite a bit before he decided that he didn't need any computer help, and he advised us to use the first, primary adjustment and not the secondary, 3rd fraction one.

The story that Doc told was that he had an annoying client down in New Orleans who kept sending him impossible longshot races and asking how he could win them. You know, $125 winners and such. Anyway, to shut him up Doc cobbled together US and sent it to him, more as a joke to shut him up than as a serious program. He loved it, Doc decided it was the precursor to the second coming and started to sell it to all and sundry. Just be aware that the program does some very strange things with the data. One reason Tom Brohamer didn't like it was that he knew what it did. On the other hand, it will drag in some monster horses and is the heart and soul of Energy and every program that followed it.

Dick

Never raise your hand to a child....it leaves your groin exposed.

DJofSD
06-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Isn't that the manual that has a couple of winning P6 tickets in it?

jcrabboy
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
BTC,

I have a copy of US for the PC that I've offered to send to people. Send me an e-mail (not a PM here on PA) and I'll give you a copy. It is manual entry, of course, and runs in a DOS window.

The manual is another story, I do have one, but only one and I think I'll keep it. It wasn't much use anyway. The program has both a primary and a secondary (called 3rd fraction) adjustments and Doc absolutely refused to tell anyone how to use them in advance of the race. He knew that if you fooled around with the settings and maybe picked a few "loom off the page" pacelines, you could win just about any race. Of course you needed to know the winner but that's how he usually worked.

If I remember correctly, Jim Bradshaw used US quite a bit before he decided that he didn't need any computer help, and he advised us to use the first, primary adjustment and not the secondary, 3rd fraction one.

The story that Doc told was that he had an annoying client down in New Orleans who kept sending him impossible longshot races and asking how he could win them. You know, $125 winners and such. Anyway, to shut him up Doc cobbled together US and sent it to him, more as a joke to shut him up than as a serious program. He loved it, Doc decided it was the precursor to the second coming and started to sell it to all and sundry. Just be aware that the program does some very strange things with the data. One reason Tom Brohamer didn't like it was that he knew what it did. On the other hand, it will drag in some monster horses and is the heart and soul of Energy and every program that followed it.

Dick

Never raise your hand to a child....it leaves your groin exposed.

Hi Dick:

I don't really pace handicap anymore, but I love the story.

Jimmie