PDA

View Full Version : Help name the new Handicappers Organization - Poll

Murph
06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Here are some suggestons on a name for our newly founded group.

Please feel free to add your ideas for a name and join us in our
effort to form a voice for horseplayers that can reach across
the Sport of Kings in a manner that will facilitate a more beautiful
experience for everyone who comes in contact with our great pastime.

Pace Cap'n
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Thoroughbred Players Association

Pari-mutuel Bettors Alliance

Pari-mutuel Players Association

United Handicappers

Handicappers United

Tom
06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Future Poker Players of America. ;)

United Horsepalyers Association - UHA

Indulto
06-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Here are some suggestons on a name for our newly founded group.

Please feel free to add your ideas for a name and join us in our
effort to form a voice for horseplayers that can reach across
the Sport of Kings in a manner that will facilitate a more beautiful experience for everyone who comes in contact with our great pastime.:lol:
Very good, Murph.

Is it possible to include acronyms in the poll?

Let me just offer one last HURRAH after reading the Maloney interview:

Horseplayers United to Revitalize Racing by Allocating Handle

PC,
I like "Pari-mutuel Betters Alliance" (PBA), but policepersons might not. ;)

GameTheory
06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Railbird Union

Kelso
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I suggest replacing "International" with "North American" ... North American Association of Horseplayers.

As someone mentioned in another thread, there can always be an "International" chapter if this thing clicks.

njcurveball
06-01-2008, 11:24 PM
North American Association of Horseplayers.

NAAH!

Kelso
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
NAAH!I was going to title my post "NAAH" ... but I kept hearing that goat they use in one of the Aflac commercials. :bang:

pktruckdriver
06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
HPA Horse players assoc.:jump: Naah, nope:lol:

JustRalph
06-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Future Poker Players of America. ;)

The most accurate suggestion yet..................

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2008, 02:57 AM
I can't say I like any of the names given in the poll, although I did vote for option 5...best of the worst...

njcurveball
06-02-2008, 09:55 AM
My opinion is the word Handicap in any form is going to be totally confused in the media.

Here is an example, I was chatting with a woman on-line and told her I was going to a handicapping touney that weekend. Her resonse was something like REALLY?

I replied yes, I went to them from time and time and did pretty well. Her response was, YOU SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING AGAINST THOSE PEOPLE, YOU HAVE TWO GOOD LEGS! :lol: :bang:

True story! :jump:

TrifectaMike
06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
People for the Rights of Horseplayers

PRH

People - Generalize membership

MNslappy
06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
My opinion is the word Handicap in any form is going to be totally confused in the media.

This might be a good point.

GameTheory
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Either the name itself or the acronym should be short and sweet, easy to say and remember. It doesn't have to explain everything in the title (especially since no one can decide what it is all about yet anyway) -- just be catchy. ("Railbird Union" was a serious suggestion.) None of the proposed names is any good.

Instead of everything being an association or alliance, I'd be thinking:

union
society
brotherhood
order

I would definitely avoid the word "handicapper" in any form, not just for the reasons given above, but because the issues in question have very little to do with handicapping and much more to do with betting, takeout, taxes, etc.

Bettor's Union
Horseplayer's Society

Short & simple. If it is long, make sure it has got a good acronym. I'm not good with those, so I have no suggestions for longer titles.

I think using a more evocative word might be helpful, which was why I like "railbird". That may have a negative connotation, however. Any other words that haven't been considered?

chickenhead
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
order and brotherhood make me think of secret handshakes and robes and spooky all seeing eyeballs. I'm down with all that...but I don't know if that's the flavor to go with.

Pace Cap'n
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I still like "Pari-Mutuel". It encompasses both thoroughbred and standardbreds, as well as dogs and jai-alai. All of whom, I would think, have many common goals. It also provides a great opportunity to broaden the membership base.

GameTheory
06-02-2008, 03:36 PM
order and brotherhood make me think of secret handshakes and robes and spooky all seeing eyeballs. I'm down with all that...but I don't know if that's the flavor to go with.I agree, just throwing it out there. "Order" can be used in such a way to not evoke those things, I think. When I hear, "Fraternal Order of Police", for instance, it doesn't sound weird.

chickenhead
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think the basic decision comes down to specific or generic. I agree that if it is going to be left very broad, then there isn't any need to make it all flowery, something simple is better.

I'd argued before that I thought more specific was the way to go, but if it is going to be basically another way to just say "a bunch of horseplayer's"..then something like Horseplayer's Union/Society/Alliance/Association is fine.

I don't think there are any/many stand in words for "horseplayer's" that don't have negative connotations, something the anti-defamation department will have to tackle.

Indulto
06-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I think the basic decision comes down to specific or generic. I agree that if it is going to be left very broad, then there isn't any need to make it all flowery, something simple is better.

I'd argued before that I thought more specific was the way to go, but if it is going to be basically another way to just say "a bunch of horseplayer's"..then something like Horseplayer's Union/Society/Alliance/Association is fine.

I don't think there are any/many stand in words for "horseplayer's" that don't have negative connotations, something the anti-defamation department will have to tackle.ADD, eh? ;)

Actually, your post makes a lot of sense, Chick, and "bettor" does seem more acceptable to non-horseplayers than "handicapper" and especially "horseplayer". So for those who feel regulation is preferable to protest, I propose:

B U F F E R R

Bettors United For Fair (and) Effective Regulation (of) Racing

OR

Bettors United For Fair Effective Racing Regulation

Either of which is preferable to HUFFERR and PUFFERR (Players United, etc.). :D

Of course there will poker players who might like BLUFFERR, but I'll leave the "L" up to them. :jump:

MNslappy
06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
PETAH

People for the Ethical Treatment of America's Horseplayers

Murph
06-03-2008, 07:21 AM
I can't say I like any of the names given in the poll, although I did vote for option 5...best of the worst...I am tending to agree with you on this point, Mike. I have not cast a vote myself yet.

There are many GOOD ideas and suggetions in the thread. Thanks to all for adding them. I am satisfied that this poll has served it's purpose. I propose that we take the top two names from this poll, and make a new poll with those and two or three other names that include working ideas here into those added suggestions. I want to include the points made here in the new names as best we can.

Indulto suggested adding acronyms with the names like - T.H.I.S.
to the poll listing beside the name, I like that idea too and I considered it when I made the poll. Plus I made an error when I posted by not using a closing date for this one.

Would the group be agreeable with that idea? Get (maybe) 3 more names and keep the top 2 from this poll, add them to a new poll with the suggested improvements?

Getting the name properly worded is very important. This point is agreed upon in our last meeting, and I think we should be pro active in adding the PA user ideas as quickly as possible. I will be happy to post another poll with the suggested improvments as soon as we agree on a couple of names to add. Sooner the better, if I can post it tonight we'll still have 7 days of polling for feedback. Sound off with comments, players.

Murph

beenacoach
06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
For my part....feel free to redo the poll at any time in the manner you have suggested.

I am surprised at the rather low number of votes that this poll has generated thus far.

If there is not enough interest out there to generate a far larger number of votes than this, how will we be able to claim to be the voice of horseplayers?

TrifectaMike
06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
National Horseplayers Association

Indulto
06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
For my part....feel free to redo the poll at any time in the manner you have suggested.

I am surprised at the rather low number of votes that this poll has generated thus far.

If there is not enough interest out there to generate a far larger number of votes than this, how will we be able to claim to be the voice of horseplayers?bac,
When I last looked , there were 500 views, but only 34 votes. I think that's because those particular choices weren't amenable to the people viewing them.

What worries me more is that some who were in the war room the first night were not there the second, and there were very few returnees from last year's war room discussions.

Murph's idea to keep the top two current votegetters and add new ones mentioned is a good one. Obviously the process is an iterative one. It will be interesting to see if the two carryovers continue to attract votes with other choices in the mix.

I also thought Murph's compressed public discussion highlite thread was a good idea. It gets people up to speed quickly and they can always peruse the original threads if they are interested.

One important difference last year was that the driving force, poster betovernetcapper (bonc) who hasn't posted since january, had a connection with a reporter for the Blood-Horse who would occasionally mention him and what we were doing.

Also the goal then of a "procott" or "buycott" was more focused. And that was the objective going in. The only debate was where it should be held and why one track and date might be more appropriate than others. It's possible some of those original participants are turned off by the fact that the track that was eventually "procotted" subsequently exhibited anti-player behavior.

kenwoodallpromos
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Equine Gamblers' Organization= EGO!

bpiets
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
....+++++'FAIR STANDARDS' has more direct IMPACT for the reader...'then' in the 'forums' ''threads'' the 'interested' 'PARTIES' entering there-in will find the OTHER options as 'under discusion ....lol..which 'they' may then respond to... :jump: :cool:...besides...the 'other' sound like 'they' already exist...or are really HEAVY READING material for university 'folk' forced to 'read' same by the teachers...lol....and 'FAIR STANDARDS' is 'GRASS 'ROOT' MATERIAL for 'every day' FOLKS' like 'US'N'.....

asH
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Association for the Solidarity of Handicappers

Indulto
06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Association for the Solidarity of HandicappersSolidarity. How Polish of you! ;)

How about Solidarity of Handicappers Interested in Thoroughbreds :D

or better still

Bettors Unified for Life Long Solidarity with Horses In Training :lol:

NoDayJob
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE! Use the KISS approach for your name selection.

csperberg
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
How about UPBA?

United Pari-mutuel Bettors Association

Tom
06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Association for the Solidarity of Handicappers
.....or, Association for the Solidarity of Speculators:D

njcurveball
06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
United
Punters

Yelling
Over
Unreasonable
Regulation
Statutes

GameTheory
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
The Money

That may be too direct.

[Horse] Bettor's League

rokitman
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM

If there is not enough interest out there to generate a far larger number of votes than this, how will we be able to claim to be the voice of horseplayers?A.P.A.T.H.Y.

Murph
06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
....+++++'FAIR STANDARDS' has more direct IMPACT for the reader...'then' in the 'forums' ''threads'' the 'interested' 'PARTIES' entering there-in will find the OTHER options as 'under discusion ....lol..which 'they' may then respond to... :jump: :cool:...besides...the 'other' sound like 'they' already exist...or are really HEAVY READING material for university 'folk' forced to 'read' same by the teachers...lol....and 'FAIR STANDARDS' is 'GRASS 'ROOT' MATERIAL for 'every day' FOLKS' like 'US'N'.....

This idea makes a good deal of sense to me, thanks bpj for a different perspective on our naming conventions than we've seen to this point. I will incorporate Fair Standards into a name and add it to the poll. I will add the option for NONE of the above too.

How about UPBA?

Unitd Pari-mutuel Bettors Association I like the ring of this name when I speak it. I would select this name to join the list with the top two currently in the poll.

I'd like one of the other organizing volunteer committee members to propose a third name to add. beenacoach or hammerhead would you create/select a name from the ideas added since we posted the original? I'll suprise you with my name when the poll is posted later today. Without input before the end of day, (5pm PDT - 8pm EST) I'll create a new poll with the top two vote getters so far and the two names I've selected / created with the ideas posted in this thread.

I'll add the acronym at the end of each name so we can see them in type and gauge the visual effect for each one.

NEW poll for our name will post shortly after 8pm tonight. Additional input on the name will likely be limited to the choices on that list after it's posted. Everyone, please get your final suggestions posted soon.

Murph

Murph
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
A.P.A.T.H.Y.LOL ... That may well be rokitman but I think there could be a few other reasons as well. My magnetic lightning rod personality may be preveting a great number of folks from even seeing the poll due to liberal use of the "iggy" feature. We can have another member post in their name and see if that may help.

More likely IMO is the fact that I asked for a public poll and that requires the "lurkers" to register to vote in the poll. Another issue on the turnout for this one may have been placement. We should get better exposure if a notice is posted the General Racing Discussion area directing everyone to this poll and asking for their input to help us. I doubt that we'll be able to generate major interest before we have an organizational structure and directors in place. Then we will be able to focus on generating more public noise.

How about this - I will create the new poll in this forum and possibly PA or John or ?? could make a post in General Racing in their name for advertising to a wider audience!? That addresses the three issues I think may have led to a low response rate.

Murph

Murph
06-06-2008, 01:00 AM
PA,

Can we close this poll manually now? Would you also add a notice/link on the home page or in general racing, highlighting our request for voters? I think that may help boost response. We'll see.

Thanks for your support. You can make a huge difference in our success rate with the work you have done here in developing a diverse community of the best handicappers in the world. Racing fans everywhere will remember Pace Advantage and your support for generations when we have suscessfully made a positive impact on our current situation.

Here's wishing everyone a great day of racing tomorrow, Triple Crown Day - enjoy!

Sincerely,
Murph