PDA

View Full Version : Two Triples remembered

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
My all time favorite.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
A very very good one, who was undefeated at this point.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:31 PM
And another who had a very good excuse and should have been scratched.

Bubbles
05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Can you imagine a horse going for the Triple Crown having to SHARE headlines in the DRF?!

Okay, I'm a communications major so I'm admittedly biased, but still, that's weird and a true sign of the times.

46zilzal
05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Can you imagine a horse going for the Triple Crown having to SHARE headlines in the DRF?!

Okay, I'm a communications major so I'm admittedly biased, but still, that's weird and a true sign of the times.
Manta, a West coast mare, was almost as big a star then. She was phenomenal.

46zilzal
05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Forego raced on the under card to the 1973 Belmont (against Angle Light and Paternity), 8.5 furlongs and won carrying 111 pounds.

Skanoochies
05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
He also ran in the Derby(Not by Yum Brands :lol: ) that Big Red one. :)

toetoe
05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
If BB wins it, let's not skimp on the accolades. After all, Seattle beat nothing in his Belmont, whereas Secretariat beat three tomato cans and one overrated, overraced and mismanaged colt in Sham.

LemonSoupKid
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Someone calls Sham as he was ... good stuff. Tomato cans, lovin' it!

Grits
05-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Someone calls Sham as he was ... good stuff. Tomato cans, lovin' it!

Toe comes up with some really great stuff!!!:D

Citation33
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Sham overrated? I thought he won the Santa Anita Handicap and the Santa Catalina before heading to the Kentucky Derby and runnning the second fastest Derby time ever behind Secretariat. He then finished second in the Preakness. Now yeah he should've definately been put on a layoff and not run in the Belmont beause he was tired,but overrated I think not.

Secretariat beat a horse who basically would've broke the Derby record if he was'nt there and somehow he's running against overrated? The fields Sec ran against were a HUNDRED times better than Big Browns fields. Big Brown is running against horses who can not even break 100 beyers or who basically would struggle to win a G3 at Aqueduct.

46zilzal
06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
The vet who did autopsies on both Red and Sham said his heart was the second largest of any he had seen. Wrong place wrong time, but he didn't quit till he was physically exhausted. That alone is admirable.

toetoe
06-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I confess, Sham was not overrated enough to even mention it. I guess I went overboard from resentment that he was considered better than Linda's Chief, who, despite almost losing the California Derby to Easy Ern ( :bang: ) through sheer rankness, was a rocketship and one of my favorites. Anyway, Sham was not himself by Belmont time.

I didn't mean to imply that Secretariat was ever overrated; just that he and Seattle Slew were not often bashed for facing stiffs and a few good ones. We can't really puff up My Gallant or even Forego, who had not quite gotten into gear careerwise. And Run Dusty Run and Sanhedrin ? Please. :faint:

Citation33
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Well I'll say again for any stuff that Sec and Seattle have gotten about there fields,Big Brown has barely gotten none and all any paper or person says is all accolades and talk about his acceleration on G1 fields. Who are in those fields? Who can even run 100 beyers? Who can even come close to running a good time? Sec and Seattle might not have faced the best fields(Sham was great though) but Big Brown has faced fields that could'nt win a G3 Aqu race.

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Well I'll say again for any stuff that Sec and Seattle have gotten about there fields,Big Brown has barely gotten none and all any paper or person says is all accolades and talk about his acceleration on G1 fields. Who are in those fields? Who can even run 100 beyers? Who can even come close to running a good time? Sec and Seattle might not have faced the best fields(Sham was great though) but Big Brown has faced fields that could'nt win a G3 Aqu race.There were 6 horses in the Derby who ran 100 or higher Beyers. You're exaggerating in the other direction. G3 at AQU? For 3yos? Yeah, I'd say there were very many horses BB's faced that could win a G3 at AQU for 3yos.

Citation33
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I would'nt say these fields are good in any way. How many going into the Derby ran 100 beyers in their 3yo season? and how many going into the Preakness ran 100 beyers? Im really not sure. From the comments,I'm expecting alot. I know a sprinter Black Jack Bob did,and Eight Belles. Who else. How high were their beyers?

toetoe
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Citation,

The "stuff" against BB is implicit in the deification of CD. The G3 (G2 ?) that CD won would be, I repeat, considered weak if it were a NW2X. So we have an impressive winner over NOTHING versus a legitimately big favorite and a bunch of generic graded-stakes-placed types ... and the winner over NOTHING is the wiseguy sky's-the-limit pick. :faint:

Betting on the come like this is wonderful --- IF you get a huge price. Dead second chalk ? I don't see the appeal. :confused:

46zilzal
06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
BB won over only a few (the game filly) so what's the difference? not much.

ezrabrooks
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
"Two Triples Remembered"... Heck, I thought the thread was about big Pick Three hits. People in glass houses shouldn't...well you know the rest..

Ez

toetoe
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Just two out of those millions of fuzzballs on Star Trek ? Sheesh.

ezrabrooks
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
BB won over only a few (the game filly) so what's the difference? not much.

Delete your original post?

46zilzal
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
List of the other cheaters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanozolol

HolyBull29
06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I think Barry Bonds,Raphael Palmeiro,and Roger Clemens should present the Belmont Trophy to Big Brown if he wins. Should poll who should give out the trophy if he wins LOL.

Cratos
06-02-2008, 05:27 PM
If BB wins it, let's not skimp on the accolades. After all, Seattle beat nothing in his Belmont, whereas Secretariat beat three tomato cans and one overrated, overraced and mismanaged colt in Sham.

I am not sure if you are talking from revisionist history or you are making it up as you go.

However both Secretariat and Seattle Slew ran against competent fields in their respective Belmont and Triple Crown victories.

Twice a Prince who finished second to Secretariat in the 1973 Belmont stopped the timer at the 1 ¼ mile marker in a very fast 2:00.66 time which in most other years would have carried him to victory, but he was running a horse that was running not against him or any other horse in the field. The horse, Secretariat was running against the clock as he shaved an astounding two full seconds off of the track record en route to a 2:24 world record.

Slew on the other hand led every step of the way from the gate to the finish and although he was known over his career for his incredible speed and not for this stamina, but in the 1977 Belmont he showed what it was to be champion as he dominated the field on a very muddy track and was drawing away at the end.

toetoe
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
How very decent of you to wipe the mud from Twice a Prince's name. The poor guy has soldiered on in unmerited ignominy for 35 YEARS ! :( He proved his talent by --- how does it go ? --- leading to the 1/4 pole in a time that woulda/coulda/shoulda carried him to victory any other year, as opposed to just carrying him to the final time he really DID run; I estimate it was 2:29 or 2:30, definitely NOT good enough to win "any other year." The final 1/4 WAS very impressive, however --- oh, about 29 seconds. Not sure whether to :lol: or :( at this logic.

So do you contend that Seattle Slew ran on the muddy part of the track, while the others had the rock-hard dry path ? My whole point is that Sec, SS and BB (IF he wins) all deserve much credit for winning the TC. That does not mean we should flatter the mediocrities in some of the races. Yes, SS indeed "dominated" his Belmont Stakes field. It was a horrid field. All I have asked is that if BB should dominate this year's lousy field, we simply applaud him.