PDA

View Full Version : CLEM FLORIO dead at 78

karlskorner
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Reported in the Washington Post

Quote "For nearly 40 years, Clem enlivened Maryland's throughbred-track press box and radio waves as a jaunty impersario. Time is the true barometer of racehorse ability. Clem stressed, but not the only one. To Clem, the post parade was a peephole ot the race"

Tom Barrister
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
My condolences to his family and friends. If I remember correctly, he picked Sarava (Preakness 2002) at 70-1. He was a fixture around the Maryland racing scene for almost 30 years.

Tom
05-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I used to read his columns in an old racing magazine - can't remember the name - but one of the monthly fetures was Money Makes the Mare Go.

cj's dad
05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
was quite a character- writer, track capper, boxer, boxing trainer, storyteller. Died of cancer

Overlay
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to read his columns in an old racing magazine - can't remember the name - but one of the monthly fetures was Money Makes the Mare Go.

Are you thinking of Turf Guide? (Aside from American Turf Monthly and Turf and Sport Digest, that's the only present or past handicapping-oriented magazine that I can recall.)

Tom
05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Might be - it was the thinnest of the three, and features system after system.

saevena
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Clem was probably the best after-dinner speaker I've ever heard: he could regale you with racetrack stories for hours on end. He was also an extremely friendly, unpretentious guy, and always exchanged hellos with me at Laurel. They don't make them like him anymore; he'll be sorely missed.