PDA

View Full Version : Thee most Important workout in the history of the Belmont Stakes ?

BeatTheChalk
05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
When Big Brown steps on to the Historic Surface at Belmont Park ---
sometime soon ... The eyes of the entire world will be on the horse..the
time of the workout .. how he did it .. and the comments of his connections.
I recall vividly .. the workout of Easy Goer -- just prior to his win in
the Belmont. It was a spectacular Mile :cool: But .. the press and the media were in love with Sunday Silence - so the workout barely
made news. The Rest is history.
Sunday Silence had the misfortune of running up against a very good horse who was fit as could be. Here is the Call and the video of the race ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPl407d-xYQ
Dave Johnson with the call 19 Years ago !

Pace Cap'n
05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Who trained EG?

WinterTriangle
05-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Shug McGaughey, who was more afraid of SS's trainer than he was of the horse. :)

But SS and EG slugged it out as rivals for the entire TC. This time around, it's not like BB has been running *against* anyone in particular, just the whole field running against him.

I think this kinda takes some of the fun out of it myself. In each of the leadup TC races this year, it's like dealing with a whole new *crew* each time.

BeatTheChalk
05-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Shug McGaughey, who was more afraid of SS's trainer than he was of the horse. :)

But SS and EG slugged it out as rivals for the entire TC. This time around, it's not like BB has been running *against* anyone in particular, just the whole field running against him.

I think this kinda takes some of the fun out of it myself. In each of the leadup TC races this year, it's like dealing with a whole new *crew* each time.

Charlie ( Wittingham ) and the entire family .. workers in the stable etc..
were devastated when SS Lost. The articles in the LA times were simply
amazing. Seemed like it went on for days and days. And the horse was
gorgeous to boot.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Easy Goer was 5 lengths better over Big Sandy. I have that photo around here somewhere and will post it. A tremendous performance with the 2nd best time ever.

Should have won the Preakness too but a strange ride by Day who should have just bashed through knowing that NO colt had ever been taken down in the history of that race.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Who trained EG?
Shug

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Easy Goer: ALMOST an icon, but a very good one.
Total 20 14 5 1 $4,873,770

Bubbles
05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
For every Easy Goer work, there's a Funny Cide work. The horse was uncontrollable in his last work, going 5 furlongs in 57 and change or so. He repeated this pattern in the Belmont, going straight to the front under stout restraint and fading fast when Empire Maker came a'calling.

Living Flame
05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
God, I remember those two! Talk about class! They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

Easy Goer is probably my favorite horse of modern times, and maybe the best I've ever seen. He looked like Secretariat at the finish line! That Belmont was just breathtaking.:eek:

I saw Sunday Silence run. I watched him get beat by Criminal Type and Prized - two other truly special horses. I'm glad he turned out to be such a great sire. very sad that EG and SS died so young.:(

BeatTheChalk
05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
For every Easy Goer work, there's a Funny Cide work. The horse was uncontrollable in his last work, going 5 furlongs in 57 and change or so. He repeated this pattern in the Belmont, going straight to the front under stout restraint and fading fast when Empire Maker came a'calling.

Fair enough - sorta :bang: Now I guess I will have to to back and look
at ALL pre Belmont Workouts. :kiss: Let's see ..hmmm...and perhaps I
should go back .. see if I can find the Internal Fractions for EG's Mile Work.
Yeah that's good. C U laidher. :lol: :jump:

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Sunday Silence was my favorite horse of all time....until Holy Bull came along....

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Easy Goer: ALMOST an icon, but a very good one.
Total 20 14 5 1 $4,873,770
Can't see Sunday Silence anywhere,,,,,,in THIS one.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:26 PM
And Secretariat's son did him proud as well. Leave it to the whacky co-owner (Who's wife was prosecuted after he discovered she had a hit man out to get him) to mess up the photos.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Can't see Sunday Silence anywhere,,,,,,in THIS one.ONE being the key word there.

joanied
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Funny Cide also had a muddy track to contend with...everyone knows he hated the mud. Beside the muddy track, he was his own worst enemy, not being able to relax.