PDA

View Full Version : A Few Question, Please

pktruckdriver
05-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I was wondering who you guys thought would be considered some of the top Drivers in Harness Racing currently. Also is there a Driver like Russel Baze, stuck on some small track somewhere just tearing it up, picking and chosing his winners.

Also what are the better tracks , for the following reasons

1. Lowest takeouts
2. Biggest pools
3. Best exotic wagerings tracks, p3/p4, etc...
4. Cleanest as far as honest racing
5. Dirtiest as far as cut-throat drivers and then suspicous races

Last , what is considered Harness Racings Ky. Derby day or B/C Day(now wknd)

Thanks
Patrick

wilderness
05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
I was wondering who you guys thought would be considered some of the top Drivers in Harness Racing currently. Also is there a Driver like Russel Baze, stuck on some small track somewhere just tearing it up, picking and chosing his winners.

Also what are the better tracks , for the following reasons

1. Lowest takeouts

There was a recent thread on take-outs

2. Biggest pools[QUOTE]

Meadowlands

[QUOTE]
3. Best exotic wagerings tracks, p3/p4, etc...
4. Cleanest as far as honest racing
5. Dirtiest as far as cut-throat drivers and then suspicous races

Last , what is considered Harness Racings Ky. Derby day or B/C Day(now wknd)

Thanks
Patrick

Hambletonian Day at the Meadowlands is a very big day.
Others wouldn't miss the Little Brown Jug.
While traditional others favor the Kentucky Fututurity and Lexington.

Harness Racing has no comparison to Breeders Cup. The "Breeders Crown" races are split over different dates and different tracks.
Early on and when the Breeders Crown races first started, events were scattered over many tracks.

Here's a recent addition to the USTA website that you may enjoy:
http://www.ustrotting.com/services/pub/harnesshandbook.cfm

In addition the USTA Handbook will provide interesting insights:
http://www.ustrotting.com/services/pub/harnesshandbook.cfm#handbook

Murph
05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Hello Don,

Thanks for the USTA link update, I can use that. If you didn't already know, I am one who likes to see "The Jug" runners every year. Might be the ocean breeze but I don't get the same feel for the Big M races.

Good to hear from you,
Murph

baconswitchfarm
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Takeouts: Indiana/ Hoosier , New Jersey tracks Biggest pools: Meadowlands , Northfield , Woodbine
Exotics : any track you win at , biggest fields, lowest takeouts
Cleanest: Indiana Tracks
Dirtiest: Monticello, Yonkers, Cal Expo

pktruckdriver
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks you all

So The BigM seems to have the biggest pools, does it also have the best Drivers too? I would think that would be the case. Maybe Woodbine too?

Indiana as the clean tracks, what about betting Indiana?

No Shennanigan's at The BigM?

I will go thru the link you gave me to browse thru, thank you.

Again thank you
Patrick

harcapper
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Indiana as the clean tracks, what about betting Indiana?
Patrick

If you are a small time bettor the Indiana harness tracks are great. I also agree totally with bacon on the honesty there. If they even suspect you are a chemical trainer you can pack your bags.

Har

baconswitchfarm
05-30-2008, 01:34 AM
If you are coming from the t-breds to harness all the pools will look small. When playing harness for a living adjusting your bet sizes to certain tracks is a must. I would love to be able to bet thirty million a year like the t-bred guys can do. I wouldn't need to play as well because my rebate would be giant. If you are just starting I would recomend a couple b tracks with big fields to start. The bigger fields give you some added value while usually containing a few dead horses. The big M and Woodbine are NOT places to get your education. Long term they are very tough even for the most skilled players. Rember this; chalk numbers pay less in harness , and so do giant tri numbers. The value is cashing more often on the numbers in the middle.