PDA

View Full Version : Reality according to Mitch Williams

njcurveball
05-28-2008, 03:02 PM
For most they have the pleasure of not being able to hear former Phillie Mitch Williams wax poetic on anything and everything baseball. Rumor has it the East Coast members of this board have nicknamed him 46mitchypoo. :D

Usually his comments are forgettable, but last night during the rain delay he made a statement that there just cannot be 40 guys throwing 99 mph. He figures there should only be a handful like when he was playing.

I guess he has ignored all of the training and "supplements" of the last 20 years. So I am just curious if baseball fans on here agree with him that the radar guns are wrong?

Do you think the radar guns of today are flawed? Maybe the next Mitchell Report can time, frame by frame, each fastball to confirm it's speed.

Although from what I know, the speed gun needs to be aimed at the release point to get the true speed as the ball decelarates a few feet after release.

Jim

OTM Al
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Maybe Mitch has been ingesting too much of that tabasco sauce he's been hawking.....

I do know there are 2 types of radar "guns" used and there is a couple mph variation between the two. The radar gun to me has always been a cop out for scouts. Guys like Maddux and Moyer can barely get them into double figures and yet they have had great careers. All Mitch really ever had was that hard burner, so maybe he thinks a little more about speed than most..of course if he was a little less fast and a little more accurate he wouldn't have to watch that Joe Carter home run for the rest of his life.

Not sure if the guns are right and really don't care. Today's standard customer with ADD seems to get a thrill out of the readings they post at ballparks, but I'd rather see a guy that's got good control and good movement. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that can throw one through a wall, but contol is the more important part.

toetoe
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
He make m'heart sing. :kiss: