PDA

View Full Version : Spin: The art of selling war

46zilzal
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm4g7ujkiO0

Tom
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
You get that in every war. WWII was far more propagandized than this war.
The Japs were potrayed as semi-humans, more rat-like. This is the way wars are managed. Hatred of the enemy is a large part of war. This is why Iraq was not stamped out long ago- the "blinking" over Abu Grad was a serious mistake.

Marshall Bennett
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Aw Tom , didn't you know modern day war was suppose to be a meeting of the minds over a dinner table ?

46zilzal
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
We need another leader like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4DOWJpWBI

Greyfox
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
We need another leader like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4DOWJpWBI

Was that the leader who told Bobby Baker
"I get a migraine headache if I don't get a strange piece of ass every day."

Was that the leader that ultimately ended up escalating involvement in Viet Nam while saying he wanted out of there.

"Proclaiming a fight against the spread of Communism, Kennedy enacted policies providing political, economic, and military support for the unstable French-installed South Vietnamese government, which included sending 16,000 military advisors and U.S. Special Forces to the area. Kennedy ... agreed to the use of free-fire zones, napalm, defoliants and jet planes. U.S. involvement in the area continually escalated until regular U.S. forces were directly fighting the Vietnam War in the next administration. The Kennedy Administration increased military support, but the South Vietnamese military was unable to make headway against the pro-independence Viet-Minh and Viet Cong forces."

46zilzal
05-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Here what he said right from the horse's mouth, TWO months before he died. It was Johnson who elevated it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG7jjF6xuKM

Tee
05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Zilly have you really listened to the last 7 seconds of the interview?

ddog
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Iraq was never going to be stamped out.
Not without stamping out several other countries with several millions of deaths in the area.

which of course will breed more to kill later.

they are not the same as us.
they will not stop by force since we can't morally apply the force required to do the above.

this was always destined to devolve into a hit and run police action exercise, always from the start.

foolish misunderstanding to have thought otherwise.

containment not forced revolution/elections was and will be the only course available to us.

hcap
05-29-2008, 05:59 AM
You get that in every war. WWII was far more propagandized than this war.
The Japs were potrayed as semi-humans, more rat-like. This is the way wars are managed. Hatred of the enemy is a large part of war. This is why Iraq was not stamped out long ago- the "blinking" over Abu Grad was a serious mistake.Wars are "managed", and that is a problem we should all be aware of. But whether or not WWII was justified versus whether or not the invasion of Iraq is justified is more to the point.

The continuing equation Iraq=Nazi Germany and Saddam equals Hitler is pure nonsense.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Iraq was never going to be stamped out.
Not without stamping out several other countries with several millions of deaths in the area.

which of course will breed more to kill later.

they are not the same as us.
they will not stop by force since we can't morally apply the force required to do the above.

this was always destined to devolve into a hit and run police action exercise, always from the start.

foolish misunderstanding to have thought otherwise.

containment not forced revolution/elections was and will be the only course available to us.
Why has it taken so long for rational people to discover what you know?

Marshall Bennett
05-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Wars are "managed", and that is a problem we should all be aware of. But whether or not WWII was justified versus whether or not the invasion of Iraq is justified is more to the point.

The continuing equation Iraq=Nazi Germany and Saddam equals Hitler is pure nonsense.
Oh but their attitudes were very simular . The circumstances under which they ruled were somewhat different .

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
The more these soldiers have to become re-treads (multiple tours without a break) the more the stresses are eating them alive while the real idiots at the helm say STAY THE COURSE.

Rutabaga: listen to the lyrics of Waste Deep in The Big Muddy and this article: http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety/c/38695/19907/army-rates-rise/

It was back in nineteen forty-two,
I was a member of a good platoon.
We were on maneuvers in-a Loozianna,
One night by the light of the moon.
The captain told us to ford a river,
That's how it all begun.
We were -- knee deep in the Big Muddy,
But the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, are you sure,
This is the best way back to the base?"
"Sergeant, go on! I forded this river 'Bout a mile above this place. It'll be a little soggy but just keep slogging.
We'll soon be on dry ground."
We were -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, with all this equipment
No man will be able to swim."
"Sergeant, don't be a Nervous Nellie," The Captain said to him.
"All we need is a little determination; Men, follow me, I'll lead on."
We were -- neck deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool said to push on.

All at once, the moon clouded over,
We heard a gurgling cry.
A few seconds later, the captain's helmet
Was all that floated by.
The Sergeant said, "Turn around men!
I'm in charge from now on."
And we just made it out of the Big Muddy
With the captain dead and gone.

We stripped and dived and found his body
Stuck in the old quicksand.
I guess he didn't know that the water was deeper
Than the place he'd once before been.
Another stream had joined the Big Muddy
'Bout a half mile from where we'd gone. We were lucky to escape from the Big Muddy
When the big fool said to push on.

Well, I'm not going to point any moral;
I'll leave that for yourself
Maybe you're still walking, you're still talking
You'd like to keep your health.
But every time I read the papers
That old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.

Waist deep in the Big Muddy
Waist deep in the Big Muddy
Waist deep! Neck deep! Soon even a
Tall man'll be over his head, we're
Waist deep in the Big Muddy!
And the big fool says to push on!

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
The continuing equation Iraq=Nazi Germany and Saddam equals Hitler is pure nonsense.Nobody is making that equation except for yourself.

However, if you're implying that America should not be allowed to exercise her right to protect herself OR HER INTERESTS, except in the case of a Nazi Germany-like enemy, then it is you typing the nonsense.

46zilzal
05-29-2008, 10:34 PM
However, if you're implying that America should not be allowed to exercise her right to protect herself OR HER INTERESTS, except in the case of a Nazi Germany-like enemy, then it is you typing the nonsense.
This little puppet was nothing like the war machine of 1930's Germany and represented NO threat to people on the other side of the globe.

Tom
05-29-2008, 11:21 PM
The Baath party, and SH's uncles, were close tied to Nazi Germany, and even provided an all-arab company to defend his bunker in the later days of the war. As for his threat, talk to Kuwait.