PDA

View Full Version : track announcer John Dooley

SmartyParty
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm interviewing John Dooley at Arlington in mid-June. I have googled and spoken to him briefly, but I can always use more info. What's his age? Best race calls? Work history? Marital status? Family? Birthplace? Etc! Also I haven't been to Chicago in over forty years, and I've never been to Arlington. Do you have any things or restaurants or places that are must-dos in a week? Thanks!

Edie

bigmack
05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
When going to AP, don a sear sucker suit. The place is meant for 'em.

I know for many years JGDooley would watch tapes of his calls and try to better his technique. Does he still do that & what's his take on the canned cheers?

Any "Slap Shot" type stories that he can recant from his days announcing for the New York Slapshots?

Shenanigans
05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know if any other announcers have ever used this phrase, but Dooley was the first I heard it from - he used it when a horse was tiring: "and they're at the top of the stretch, (insert horse name) is doing the fade".

alhattab
05-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Not sure if I'd call it a "must do", but I was there for the 2004 Million weekend and went to Peggy Kinanes in Arlington Heights for an Irish breakfast Sunday morning. Best Bloody Mary I've ever had.

gillenr
05-27-2008, 11:06 PM
John is from Staten Island NY, & is a really nice guy - and an accurate race caller.

ranchwest
05-28-2008, 12:51 AM
When going to AP, don a sear sucker suit. The place is meant for 'em.

I know for many years JGDooley would watch tapes of his calls and try to better his technique. Does he still do that & what's his take on the canned cheers?

Any "Slap Shot" type stories that he can recant from his days announcing for the New York Slapshots?

I think you meant to say "recall", but if he's like many of us he might want to "recant" some statements from his early days. :D

v j stauffer
05-28-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm a big fan of John Dooley's. Top notch racecaller. Good guy.

ManeMediaMogul
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm a big fan of John Dooley's. Top notch racecaller. Good guy.

"John Dooley...YESSSSSS!"

ElegantHorse
05-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Dooley used to call races at Thistledown and filled in one winter at Aqueduct if memory serves.

fmhealth
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
John is one of the most underrated race callers in the nation. I put him right up there with Boomer & Vic!!

These fellows really get into the race. They make even the mundane claimer sound like royalty heading for the wire.

SmartyParty
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks! This is all shaping up a picture of the man, John Dooley, for me. Keep going!

colonial
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
john is great. he is my fav. hope he stays at fair grounds and arlington for a
long time.
this interview will be available when and where.

devilsbag
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Fun fact: he called Go for Wand's last victory in the 1990 Beldame Stakes at Belmont Park.

boomman
05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
John is one of the most underrated race callers in the nation. I put him right up there with Boomer & Vic!!

These fellows really get into the race. They make even the mundane claimer sound like royalty heading for the wire.

Scott: You included me in some solid company there and I appreciate it! I have always tried to convey as much of my enthusiasm and love for the sport into my race calls as possible, and I'm glad to hear that it is coming across that way................

Boomer

thespaah
05-31-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm interviewing John Dooley at Arlington in mid-June. I have googled and spoken to him briefly, but I can always use more info. What's his age? Best race calls? Work history? Marital status? Family? Birthplace? Etc! Also I haven't been to Chicago in over forty years, and I've never been to Arlington. Do you have any things or restaurants or places that are must-dos in a week? Thanks!

EdieIMO ,Dooley should have been the heir apparent to Durkin for the Breeders Cup calls. I don't say that lightly. Dooley is skilled, accurate and all business. He has a clear voice, excellent pronunciation and inflection. He is also very creative with his descriptions. AP is mgmnt is fortunate to have him in their employ.

The Hawk
05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Collmus is MUCH better than Dooley, in my opinion, and should be the next network announcer...

colonial
05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
no way dooley is better.

toetoe
05-31-2008, 03:32 PM
While at AP, make sure to, ahem, "google" Jessica and Lauren. :jump:
Also, wheel 'em top and bottom, y'hear ?

SmartyParty
05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
john is great. he is my fav. hope he stays at fair grounds and arlington for a
long time.
this interview will be available when and where.

It's going to be one chapter in my book about race callers. Trust me, I'll let EVERYONE know when it's published!

thespaah
05-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Collmus is MUCH better than Dooley, in my opinion, and should be the next network announcer...your opinion. I find Collmus to be a bit dull. He's a decent announcer. but adds no peronality to his calls. He's just a race caller. He's ok.

The Hawk
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
your opinion. I find Collmus to be a bit dull. He's a decent announcer. but adds no peronality to his calls. He's just a race caller. He's ok.

That's funny, that's how I feel about Dulley. I mean, Dooley. Personal preference, I guess.

TravisVOX
06-01-2008, 10:37 AM
It's going to be one chapter in my book about race callers. Trust me, I'll let EVERYONE know when it's published!

What's the book about? What's going to be in it? What about race callers?

NJ Stinks
06-03-2008, 03:04 AM
SmartyParty, when my wife and I went to Arlington for the Million in 2005, a friend in Chicago suggested we go to Shaw's Crabhouse in downtown Chicago just off North Michigan Avenue (aka The Magnificent Mile) and just north of the Chicago River. Not only was the seafood great but so was Blues music being performed live in the bar! The restaurant reminded us of a speakeasy - at least from what we've seen on film. :cool:

Here's the website:

http://www.shawscrabhouse.com/home/index.shtml

SmartyParty
06-04-2008, 05:24 PM
SmartyParty, when my wife and I went to Arlington for the Million in 2005, a friend in Chicago suggested we go to Shaw's Crabhouse in downtown Chicago just off North Michigan Avenue (aka The Magnificent Mile) and just north of the Chicago River. Not only was the seafood great but so was Blues music being performed live in the bar! The restaurant reminded us of a speakeasy - at least from what we've seen on film. :cool:

Here's the website:

How did you know that I love crab?! Thanks, NJ Stinks!

jballscalls
06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
What's the book about? What's going to be in it? What about race callers?

don't worry you'll get a chapter LOL

dylbert
06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I have enjoyed John G. Dooley's work at Fair Grounds on my visits there in past two years. He handles his work in very professional manner. I have not met him personally; however, my FG friends speak very well of him. He and Jessica Pacheco work together smoothly and provide timely information to track patrons. We no longer get FG replay show in my market; it is another quality production that showcases Dooley's talents as host and race caller.

Also, I want to tout two other race callers here in Louisiana: Don Stevens at Delta Downs and Travis Stone at Louisiana Downs. Both of these guys correspond with fans such as me via email and/or forums such as PA and DerbyTrail. Don does a super job calling races and serving as TV host for pre- and post-race segments on Delta Downs video.

On opening day at Louisiana Downs I got to meet Travis Stone. He invited me for inside look at his job. I went up for second race that afternoon and saw how he goes about his craft from announcer's booth. Travis is humble and very appreciative of folks such as Tom Durkin and others who have encouraged him to pursue this line of work. He showed me how he marks up race program for upcoming race with colored markers just as Durkin does. Again, it was a very educational and informative in my 20 minutes behind the scenes.

Again, I think all three of these facilities have top class race callers who "click" with their respective audiences.

TravisVOX
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
don't worry you'll get a chapter LOL

Who would read my chapter besides my parents and I?

TravisVOX
06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
On opening day at Louisiana Downs I got to meet Travis Stone. He invited me for inside look at his job. I went up for second race that afternoon and saw how he goes about his craft from announcer's booth. Travis is humble and very appreciative of folks such as Tom Durkin and others who have encouraged him to pursue this line of work. He showed me how he marks up race program for upcoming race with colored markers just as Durkin does. Again, it was a very educational and informative in my 20 minutes behind the scenes.

Thanks! I'm glad you could come-up for a race and see the view from above. It's a lot of fun. I love my job. Even when it's 102 degrees!

jballscalls
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Me and Pat would. :)

alhattab
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Here's the website:

Funny you mention. There is also a Shaw's in Schaumburg in some huge mall about 5 miles from Arlington Heights. I've been to both. The one on Mag Mile is MUCH better atmosphere, music, etc. If you're going to Shaw's, head for the Mag Mile (or is it River North?)

exactatom
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Dooley made an excellent race call in an early race today ( I think it was the 3rd) . A horse named Watson broke slowly. The second time that Dooley called thru the field he said (I am paraphrasing), After a poor start it is elementary that Watson is trailing the field.Absolutely classic.

JeremyJet
08-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Funny you mention. There is also a Shaw's in Schaumburg in some huge mall about 5 miles from Arlington Heights. I've been to both. The one on Mag Mile is MUCH better atmosphere, music, etc. If you're going to Shaw's, head for the Mag Mile (or is it River North?)

The Schaumburg location is near Woodfield mall. The one downtown is in the River North area.

JeremyJet

toetoe
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry to dissent, Zact, but I've pulled better than that out of my, ahem, alimentary canal, and then DELETED it. :sleeping:

v j stauffer
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM

I would!