PDA

View Full Version : Mac Computers

matthewsiv
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Does any of the handicaping software work with an Apple?

If so which is the best?

plainolebill
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
None that I know of....I had both a mac and a pc for about 10 years because there was a lot of software that wouldn't run on a mac. I gave up on the mac - underutilized. When you consider that a 386 with win 3.1 probably crunches numbers much faster than a mac using a pc emulator...you get the picture.

I'd buy myself a $200 pc notebook on ebay.

socantra
05-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Does any of the handicaping software work with an Apple?

I believe all of the programs from Cynthia Publishing, including Fast Capper, Handy Capper and All In One run on Mac OS X.

JustRalph
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
you have to be more clear............

are you asking whether the software works under the Apple Operating system? Or on an Apple Computer?

You can run Microsoft windows and Apple operating systems on the same computer nowadays. And the Apple boxes do it very well.

BillW
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
You can also run web-based programs and programs written in Java on both.

Jeff P
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
You can run Microsoft windows and Apple operating systems on the same computer nowadays. And the Apple boxes do it very well.I have a number of users running JCapper on their Macs... using Boot Camp to run Windows.

Boot Camp Run Windows on your MAC
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

-jp

richrosa
05-27-2008, 04:14 PM
WINE, the windows emulator runs in Apple and probably runs the majority of the handicapping software available out there. I betcha it runs Jeff's program quite easily.

Of course, any web-based program like HOS will run under any OS.

QuarterCrack
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I use the Parallels software to run windows programs on a virtual machine within the Mac OS environment. It works well and allows you to use both OS's at the same time without having to reboot or use Boot Camp. They call it "Coherence Mode".

I run Post Time Daily and Black Magic within this environment and it works fine, and although I can't speak for any of the other programs, I would guess they would work just as well under this scenario.

One thing to note - if you want to run both OSs at the same time, especially in Coherence, you'll need a lot of RAM. I have 4GB of RAM, but you might be able to get by with a little less, I don't quite know. I know with 4GB, everything runs smooth as silk.