PDA

View Full Version : The Travers is a walkover for Gallant Fox..

TheGhost
05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
He definately will win this race. I mean Whichone could provide a little competition for second place. That horse Jim Dandy has not shot. Will be lucky to even finish. What are the owners thinking? Can not see better than 100-1 on him.

GALLANT FOX CAN'T LOSE!! This race is over. Can not wait to watch.

HolyBull29
05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Cool. I actually just did a thing like this on the racing board with Man O War. Its a poll though. Was just kinda trying to show that not everyone is a lock. I agree,Gallant Fox was a lock in that race. Imagine you picked Jim Dandy as your pick before the race. The crap you would catch for that. :lol:

46zilzal
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
A common scenario when two big guns meet. Conquistador's Travers (1982): the Preakness winner (Aloma's Ruler) and he Belmont winner (Conquistador) along with a very off form Derby winner (Gato del Sol). The two aforemetioned ones went at each other tooth and nail in torrid fractions, much like they had disdain for anyone else: THE CLASSIC JIM DANDY scenario. I had seen Runaway Groom's prep race at Woodbine. Even the announcer's that day pointed out "this is a tremendous stretch runner."

So Cowboy Jack Kaenel and Cordero thought there was no one else around.

Same scenario happened in the 1984 Mens' Gymnastic all around when Peter Vidmar and Li Ning, both holding back for fear of a mistake, BOTH forgot about Koji Gushiken who let it all hang out and beat them both. Happened in the Winter Olympics in Utah as well.

TheGhost
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
You say they went tooth and nail after each other but it shows Gallant Fox in second place by a 1/2 at first call and 1 1/2 back at second call. He also ran alot faster at every call in wire to wire fashion in his 1 1/4 race(the 78k Classic) before the Travers. I just think it was'nt his day. Maybe the track got to him.

What happens if Taki and Dersormoux think there is nobody else around too then. Never know.

Wickel
05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Wished Eoin Harty and connections would give Colonel John another shot. After all the trouble he suffered in the Derby start, he deserves it.

sandpit
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Wished Eoin Harty and connections would give Colonel John another shot. After all the trouble he suffered in the Derby start, he deserves it.

I agree, but they said they are pointing toward the Swaps at Hollywood. Could it be they have had time to think about it and he is a synthetic only horse? With the BC in their backyard, they might be retooling their plans for autumn.

I loved CJ after the SA Derby, and watched him train at CD Derby week. Even though he worked fast and looked healthy, I couldn't help forget his first couple of days in Louisville, where to me it looked like he didn't care very much for the track. Maybe that came back to bite him in the Derby, I don't know. He sure made a funny right hand turn type move at the top of the stretch, after which he ran evenly, IMO.

JustRalph
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I have only one problem with Col. John. Everytime I run him thru a couple of different software apps.........he comes up too slow!!! You can't change that after he has been in training as long he has. I don't think he can improve much this year. Maybe next year he gets better. We have seen it before. But I have seen countless horses that got a good setup in a few races and the hype started......but they don't win the big ones........and sometimes they win later......against weaker fields.....or they get that perfect setup again............but I trust my software on just the plain numbers.........and he doesn't rise to the top when it comes right down to it. Now, he may just love that Poly in California. I can see some improvement there. But not so much anywhere else.