PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Parks Gets It Wrong

Stevie Belmont
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Saturday May 24th was my first trip to wonderful Monmouth Park. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with the increased admission fees, which I knew about. I was not happy about it, but what can you do? Prices for the clubhouse and parking have also been raised. What else is new? Throw in the gas prices and some of opted to make the trip, yet anyway.

Attendance early on has been down, officials attributing that to poor weather and the addition of new off track wagering facilities, as well as the online wagering system called 4NJBETS.com. However, there is no substitution for a day of live racing at Monmouth Park. All year we have the option of playing online or attending a simulcast facility, whether it is the new OTB’s or the Meadowlands.

On my first day of the new Spring/Summer Monmouth meet, I was greeted with some new changes, which I did not much care for. No longer can one mingle in the back with a beer. Neither can one bring any type of a cooler in the back. I was shocked to hear about this new rule. I did not bring a cooler or any beer this day, but was shocked to find out you cannot do this anymore. It gets worse. When I usually go, I like to set up my perch right in front of the winners circle on the first bench outside. I get to see all the great action. There is no other place at any track where you can get a seat like this, soak up some sun, smell the bbq and see all the action close up, but Monmouth Park has went out of their way to try to ruin it. And for what reason I am not sure.

They have set up areas where you are permitted to BYOB or in simpler terms Bring Your Own Booze. The first four or five sections of benches are designated for no BYOB, and that is in my domain by the winners circle. I was shocked to see and hear this, no beer in the back yard and no beer in the front. What are the trying to prove? One of the true pleasures of this gem is the joy of soak up some sun, cap a race and enjoy a cold beer. It is what Monmouth is all about. They do not want you to do this anymore. No coolers back there or in the front, let alone walk around with an open container. The police state has infiltrated Monmouth Park!

I want to make one thing perfectly clear here. When I go to the track, whether it is Belmont Park, Aqueduct or Saratoga I usually do not drink beer at all. Sometimes after a long hard day of capping, and if things worked out maybe I will treat myself to a cold one, but at Monmouth it is almost a ritual, the summer sun and a cold beer at Monmouth Park. Doesn’t that sound good? Not to the people who run Monmouth Park. Yet it is A Okay to walk around with a beer you purchase from their concession stands at insane prices. That is a double standard. Do not bring your own beer, but you can buy ours, no coolers, no sandwiches or goodies for the long day, unless of course you go to the designated areas where it permitted down the apron and fence areas. I do not want to go there. I like my regular spot. Why would they do that? What difference does it make if person next to me has a cooler, and I cannot?

Monmouth Park has said attendance is down, and it will continue to go down if these new policies continue. Alienating long time Monmouth Park patrons is not good business. It makes no sense. Okay, they raised the prices, but do not tell me where I can and can go to drink a beer or bring a cooler if I choose to do so. Let us see how they plan to enforce this silly new policy on Haskell Day. There will be many frustrated people with coolers packed with all kinds of good stuff. You cannot bring that here, maybe they will turn around and head to the beach instead.

It was still a great day, but they have done their best to put a damper on it. It is a shame it has come to this. I hope that they come to their senses and do the right thing. Racing in NJ has enough problems, and by doing this it makes matters worse.

DrugS
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
The police state has infiltrated Monmouth Park!

What is this world coming to?

Tom
05-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Let's add this to the list of how to increase interest in racing:

1. Do not let peple bet any tracks they want to - go out of your way to make it difficult to get a bet in or even know week to week what tracks you can play.

2. Bleed them with parking and admission

3. Make it as uncomfortable inside as you can.

Alright, we're cooking now...this game has got it's head screwed on backwards, and that head is a loner to boot! :lol:

David-LV
05-25-2008, 06:02 PM
GREED:

Yes, soak the customers, drive away what customers you have left, then cry to the state for slot machines.

Racing continue to head down its path of a dark future. :confused:

_______
David

john del riccio
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Saturday May 24th was my first trip to wonderful Monmouth Park. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with the increased admission fees, which I knew about. I was not happy about it, but what can you do? Prices for the clubhouse and parking have also been raised. What else is new? Throw in the gas prices and some of opted to make the trip, yet anyway.

Attendance early on has been down, officials attributing that to poor weather and the addition of new off track wagering facilities, as well as the online wagering system called 4NJBETS.com. However, there is no substitution for a day of live racing at Monmouth Park. All year we have the option of playing online or attending a simulcast facility, whether it is the new OTB’s or the Meadowlands.

On my first day of the new Spring/Summer Monmouth meet, I was greeted with some new changes, which I did not much care for. No longer can one mingle in the back with a beer. Neither can one bring any type of a cooler in the back. I was shocked to hear about this new rule. I did not bring a cooler or any beer this day, but was shocked to find out you cannot do this anymore. It gets worse. When I usually go, I like to set up my perch right in front of the winners circle on the first bench outside. I get to see all the great action. There is no other place at any track where you can get a seat like this, soak up some sun, smell the bbq and see all the action close up, but Monmouth Park has went out of their way to try to ruin it. And for what reason I am not sure.

They have set up areas where you are permitted to BYOB or in simpler terms Bring Your Own Booze. The first four or five sections of benches are designated for no BYOB, and that is in my domain by the winners circle. I was shocked to see and hear this, no beer in the back yard and no beer in the front. What are the trying to prove? One of the true pleasures of this gem is the joy of soak up some sun, cap a race and enjoy a cold beer. It is what Monmouth is all about. They do not want you to do this anymore. No coolers back there or in the front, let alone walk around with an open container. The police state has infiltrated Monmouth Park!

I want to make one thing perfectly clear here. When I go to the track, whether it is Belmont Park, Aqueduct or Saratoga I usually do not drink beer at all. Sometimes after a long hard day of capping, and if things worked out maybe I will treat myself to a cold one, but at Monmouth it is almost a ritual, the summer sun and a cold beer at Monmouth Park. Doesn’t that sound good? Not to the people who run Monmouth Park. Yet it is A Okay to walk around with a beer you purchase from their concession stands at insane prices. That is a double standard. Do not bring your own beer, but you can buy ours, no coolers, no sandwiches or goodies for the long day, unless of course you go to the designated areas where it permitted down the apron and fence areas. I do not want to go there. I like my regular spot. Why would they do that? What difference does it make if person next to me has a cooler, and I cannot?

Monmouth Park has said attendance is down, and it will continue to go down if these new policies continue. Alienating long time Monmouth Park patrons is not good business. It makes no sense. Okay, they raised the prices, but do not tell me where I can and can go to drink a beer or bring a cooler if I choose to do so. Let us see how they plan to enforce this silly new policy on Haskell Day. There will be many frustrated people with coolers packed with all kinds of good stuff. You cannot bring that here, maybe they will turn around and head to the beach instead.

It was still a great day, but they have done their best to put a damper on it. It is a shame it has come to this. I hope that they come to their senses and do the right thing. Racing in NJ has enough problems, and by doing this it makes matters worse.

Steve,

As a guy that has been going to MTH for 40 years, I can only say that
this is not Monmouth Park. What a joke.

Whats next, no shorts, no sandles, no kids, no sunglasses....
they are doing such a great job, promotions for all the &$@*head management.

John

Ron
05-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Can you bring your own beer to other sporting events?

TravisVOX
05-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Do you gamble at other sporting events?

uncbossfan
05-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Although the quality of racing is poor, River Downs is a great palce to be. Free parking and admission. Parking lot buts up against the track so quite often I take my car over on a Friday night and get the first spot on the rail right next to the entrance for Sat. You tailgate all day, and just walk 30 yrds inside to make your bets, plus you get to see all the live action.

In KY and S. Ohio
River Downs - parking and admission free
Turfway Park - Parking and Admission free (except Lanes End Day)
Keeneland - parking free admission $3
Churchill - parking free $3 admission

Living where I live in Northern KY, I can get to the first 2 tracks in 5-10 minutes, and the other to in just over an hr. Throw in the $1 beer and $1 hot dogs on Fri nights at Turfway, and I think the local tracks I get to play accomodate me very well

DrugS
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Do you gamble at other sporting events?

Exactly

onefast99
05-25-2008, 10:11 PM
The only issue I have with the track is the fact that the food is probably the worst of any major track I have ever been to. Aramark needs to get booted. They need a few restaurants from the area to get together and bring decent food to this facility. Every year they have a food day in the later part of July where local restaurants prepare some of their best dishes and serve them up "food fair" style. Why not do that for the whole meet, it would be a lot more tolerable then the garbage being served in the clubhouse restaurant. I also think they need to have a real pizzeria on premise, not some stand serving yesterdays pizza re-heated. The grandstand cafeteria is brand new, yet the garbage being served there isnt fit for inmates in a jail. The sandwiches are semi frozen, the clam chowder is good so thats a plus and the only plus. Now to my biggest gripe, the pretzels seem to be harder then the pucks used at a Devils game, they have a funny taste to them and the vendors get mad if you ask them if the pretzels are soft! I think that the NJSEA has to look at what they are presenting food wise and maybe go back to the days where the food was edible.

Greyfox
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
"It was still a great day, but they have done their best to put a damper on it. "

Your call. At the end of the day, you said "It was still a great day!"

wonatthewire1
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
The only issue I have with the track is the fact that the food is probably the worst of any major track I have ever been to. Aramark needs to get booted. They need a few restaurants from the area to get together and bring decent food to this facility. Every year they have a food day in the later part of July where local restaurants prepare some of their best dishes and serve them up "food fair" style. Why not do that for the whole meet, it would be a lot more tolerable then the garbage being served in the clubhouse restaurant. I also think they need to have a real pizzeria on premise, not some stand serving yesterdays pizza re-heated. The grandstand cafeteria is brand new, yet the garbage being served there isnt fit for inmates in a jail. The sandwiches are semi frozen, the clam chowder is good so thats a plus and the only plus. Now to my biggest gripe, the pretzels seem to be harder then the pucks used at a Devils game, they have a funny taste to them and the vendors get mad if you ask them if the pretzels are soft! I think that the NJSEA has to look at what they are presenting food wise and maybe go back to the days where the food was edible.

Aramark has been the food vendor for NJ tracks for at least 20 years - you won't get them out of there unless you are prying their cold fingers off the fryer

Kelso
05-26-2008, 12:57 AM
A couple of security guys told me that the new "buy our beer or eat cake" policy is at Aramark's insistance. Says a hell of a lot about the mental-midgets in charge that they knuckled under to Aramark's demand. (My standard "It's New Jersey" rationale applies here ... somebody in charge got paid.)

Let the concessionaires call the shots and tell the customers to go to hell. The NJSEA ... including its full-time senior managers ... are a pack of political hacks!

JustRalph
05-26-2008, 02:16 AM

brought some beer and cokes, bottled water into the Nascar race tonight.

They allow a 14x14x14 cooler for every patron. Between the 4 of us attending we didn't need to buy a thing onsite. Although we did spring for some Ice Cream at a booth...............

alhattab
05-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Stevie I'm no shill for Monmouth Park, and I've had several letters published criticizing them, but I've let up on the new cooler policy since my initial outrage (unlike you I do drink at the track and I used to have my cooler in a place that is currently not "BYOB").

First, the "BYOB" policy was forced upon the track by Aramark, and my understanding from what in my mind is an informed source (not an insider however) is that management actually went to bat for its patrons when Aramark tried to force no "BYOB". Now of course the place would be a ghost town if everyone was robbed of their traditions. But the entire place is a licensed establishment, and Aramark has that license. Second, the area on the front apron used to be only two rows of benches. Now it is four. Third, the enforcement is somewhat lax. Red Solo cups are becoming more prevalent and I haven't been bothered. I also brought my cooler into a "no BYOB zone" on Saturday and was not confronted. I also saw many coolers in the "no BYOB zone" on the apron, they are just small. It seems only flagrant disregard, like having a huge cooler in the "no BYOB" area or walking around with a bottle in said area gets you noticed. In short, the whole thing looks worse that it really is, but I agree the look of a lot of "rules" is a turn off at a place that is known for its carefree feel and vibe.

By the way I was in the picnic area on Sunday and it was packed and a lot of fun despite getting my ass handed to me. Went over today to replenish the NJ Bets account it seemed pretty busy. So while there was a silly article in Saturday's local rag about weak attendance (the early part of the meet is largely irrelevant and was surely affected by some bad weekend weather here), people are still coming and enjoying it. Attendance was off about 1,000 from 13,500 last year, which is understandable given the OTBs which are perfectly situated to pick off players from north and south, especially those with limited bankrolls who don't want to incur $30 or so of costs for the benefit of betting $50. The Woodbridge OTB is the highest grossing such facility in the country. And the cards this weekend were decent now that the grass is in play. Handle on both Saturday and Sunday cards was up vs. last year's same dates, and with one fewer race each day.

I'm so tired of people killing this place. Like I said there's a lot to improve but the gloom and doom surrounding Monmouth Park is a real downer and in many cases unjustified. Yeah NJ racing needs a permanent purse solution but the negativity surrounding Monmouth is astounding to me considering the situation elsewhere NJ actually looks pretty good right now!
So Stevie, come down again. After the races head over to Sallee Tees where you can catch the late simulcast races (two TVs permanently affixed to racing- one to TVG and another to TRN). Even bring in your laptop so you can use their wireless to bet online. As much as people beat it up Monmouth is easily Top 5 in the country for a day at the races.

Imriledup
05-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Stevie I'm no shill for Monmouth Park, and I've had several letters published criticizing them, but I've let up on the new cooler policy since my initial outrage (unlike you I do drink at the track and I used to have my cooler in a place that is currently not "BYOB").

First, the "BYOB" policy was forced upon the track by Aramark, and my understanding from what in my mind is an informed source (not an insider however) is that management actually went to bat for its patrons when Aramark tried to force no "BYOB". Now of course the place would be a ghost town if everyone was robbed of their traditions. But the entire place is a licensed establishment, and Aramark has that license. Second, the area on the front apron used to be only two rows of benches. Now it is four. Third, the enforcement is somewhat lax. Red Solo cups are becoming more prevalent and I haven't been bothered. I also brought my cooler into a "no BYOB zone" on Saturday and was not confronted. I also saw many coolers in the "no BYOB zone" on the apron, they are just small. It seems only flagrant disregard, like having a huge cooler in the "no BYOB" area or walking around with a bottle in said area gets you noticed. In short, the whole thing looks worse that it really is, but I agree the look of a lot of "rules" is a turn off at a place that is known for its carefree feel and vibe.

By the way I was in the picnic area on Sunday and it was packed and a lot of fun despite getting my ass handed to me. Went over today to replenish the NJ Bets account it seemed pretty busy. So while there was a silly article in Saturday's local rag about weak attendance (the early part of the meet is largely irrelevant and was surely affected by some bad weekend weather here), people are still coming and enjoying it. Attendance was off about 1,000 from 13,500 last year, which is understandable given the OTBs which are perfectly situated to pick off players from north and south, especially those with limited bankrolls who don't want to incur $30 or so of costs for the benefit of betting $50. The Woodbridge OTB is the highest grossing such facility in the country. And the cards this weekend were decent now that the grass is in play. Handle on both Saturday and Sunday cards was up vs. last year's same dates, and with one fewer race each day.

I'm so tired of people killing this place. Like I said there's a lot to improve but the gloom and doom surrounding Monmouth Park is a real downer and in many cases unjustified. Yeah NJ racing needs a permanent purse solution but the negativity surrounding Monmouth is astounding to me considering the situation elsewhere NJ actually looks pretty good right now!
So Stevie, come down again. After the races head over to Sallee Tees where you can catch the late simulcast races (two TVs permanently affixed to racing- one to TVG and another to TRN). Even bring in your laptop so you can use their wireless to bet online. As much as people beat it up Monmouth is easily Top 5 in the country for a day at the races.

If they don't frisk you coming in the gates, bring in a flask of rum and just buy a coke from aramark and you are all set. Problem solved.
Money Saved.

alhattab
05-26-2008, 07:54 PM
If they don't frisk you coming in the gates, bring in a flask of rum and just buy a coke from aramark and you are all set. Problem solved.
Money Saved.

You don't need to even go that far. People are drinking their own all over the place. You needed your strategy only for BC days last October. Worked like a charm (although we used Bourbon and Scotch).

onefast99
05-26-2008, 09:16 PM
You don't need to even go that far. People are drinking their own all over the place. You needed your strategy only for BC days last October. Worked like a charm (although we used Bourbon and Scotch).
Was Aramark the food supplier to the Breeders Cup last October? Seems the food was much better and although the prices were higher(justifiable)it was not like the normal fare!

Stevie Belmont
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Its one of my favorite tracks to go to. I love the atmosphere from the picnic area to the walking ring.

The walking ring is in a class by itself

I get down there as many times as I can and will continue to. Besides, those 90+ plus security guys won't stop me if I intend to have a beer in the back.

Kelso
05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
the entire place is a licensed establishment, and Aramark has that license.BYOB doesn't require a license. The only issue for Bring Your Own is whether it is specifically prohibited someplace. If the license issue controlled the decision, then there couldn't be BYOB anyplace on the grounds.

And if Aramark wants rent-a-cops patrolling for bootleggers, they should pay for them themselves. Now, all enforcement is conducted by MTH security types, and the ones with whom I have spoke don't like the new assignment at all.

It's not a liability issue, and it's not a license issue. It's more business-as-usual at a New Jersey government operation .. compounded by routine track-management incompetence.

phatbastard
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
.....makes ya long for Harry M Stevens......their food was always good...match their Clam Chowder and Rice Pudding against any......

haven't been to Monmouth for maybe 30 years, was a daily back then,but due to simulcasting mostly, and that traffic on 70 mile southbound return home....always liked the place and the competitive racing

johnav
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
This weekend was definately more easy to BYOB. I did not see the same security guards by the Apron say anything to anyone. My wife and I brought our "red cups" yesterday not to ruffle any feathers. The BYOB is not a big deal if stay in one area. If you want to walk around then I guess it is a hassle. I did notice that there were significantly fewer people in the back, especially past where the band plays.

My spot is always on the white fence on the apron adjacent to the first reserved picnic area. My biggest Problem, is when I go to either make my bets on the machines or watch simulcast races on the TV's next to the Horse Video Game. I make sure I bring my Red Cup.