PDA

View Full Version : BRISNET down?

DJofSD
05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I can not load the BRISNET home page and a ping times out.

Any one else having problems like this?

GameTheory
05-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, TSN too. Must be down.

DJofSD
05-25-2008, 10:04 AM
It's been over an hour since I found it non-responsive. Most be more serious than a simple reboot.

Bennie
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Just got on. It's back up now.:jump:

DJofSD
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
It's back up. Phew!

King Ritchie
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Some of it is still down - like the results and entries for tomorrow

richrosa
05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
There was a power outage in the Lexington area yesterday.

Its a shame that these multi-million dollar businesses are hosted in a regular office and not in a qualified data center with redundant power and disaster recovery capabilities.

Any other ecommerce business would demand that.

DJofSD
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
There was a power outage in the Lexington area yesterday.

Its a shame that these multi-million dollar businesses are hosted in a regular office and not in a qualified data center with redundant power and disaster recovery capabilities.

Any other ecommerce business would demand that.
Thanks for the update!

If these companies are part of a publicly traded company, they have a fiduciary duty to mitigate their potential losses resulting from a data center outage.

Ideally, I agree, they should have their IT services located in a data center with better control than what the local power grid provides.

I wonder if they've done a risk assessment. How about a SOX audit?

richrosa
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update!

If these companies are part of a publicly traded company, they have a fiduciary duty to mitigate their potential losses resulting from a data center outage.

Ideally, I agree, they should have their IT services located in a data center with better control than what the local power grid provides.

I wonder if they've done a risk assessment. How about a SOX audit?

I sincerely doubt that any of that is done. I betcha they don't even have UPS's on they computers.

With SOX, which went into full effect this past December, they are required to disclose such risks, if they are material. I haven't read any of their filings, but in my professional estimation, power risks that could impair access to the internet for an ecommerce business would automatically qualify for disclosure.

DJofSD
05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I sincerely doubt that any of that is done. I betcha they don't even have UPS's on they computers.

With SOX, which went into full effect this past December, they are required to disclose such risks, if they are material. I haven't read any of their filings, but in my professional estimation, power risks that could impair access to the internet for an ecommerce business would automatically qualify for disclosure.

I agree, 100%.

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
I betcha they don't even have UPS's on they computers.O come on now....are you serious? You don't think they have battery backups on their systems? Really?

richrosa
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
O come on now....are you serious? You don't think they have battery backups on their systems? Really?

I had first hand knowledge of the outage in the Lexington area. I received a phone call to be told that servers that I'm interested in were running on batteries. During that same time period BRIS was down. I can only assume that their batteries didn't work, or didn't exist based on the fact that their systems didn't seem to come up clean when power was restored soon thereafter.

Its a hunch, but a good educated hunch at that. Either way, their systems don't belong in an office. They belong in a data center to protect against such outages.

DJofSD
05-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Either way, their systems don't belong in an office. They belong in a data center to protect against such outages.

Nine out of every ten IT professionals survied agreed. :)

It only now occurs to me, what about Twin Spires? I will be the first to admit, I don't know the details of BRISNET v. Equibase v. Twin Spires v. the Jockey Club in general let alone their IT resources. Did Twin Spires survive the power outage? What about the rest of those institutions I listed above?

richrosa
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Nothing has changed in years at Brisnet. Its been om the same netblock owned by Brisnet themselves, which suggests that they are self-hosted just as I suspected.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=www.brisnet.com

Twin Sprires went through a change from being hosted by Scientific Games to an outside hoster who probably sold them on using Akamai caching.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.twinspires.com