PDA

View Full Version : The Tuttle Way

Tom
05-24-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1438225768/ref=pe_5050_9344340_pe_snp_768

New handicapping book out....anyone seen this one yet?

banacek
05-24-2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1438225768/ref=pe_5050_9344340_pe_snp_768

New handicapping book out....anyone seen this one yet?

He's selling it for $2.99 as a download on ebay. Same guy that wrote the Ultimate Guide tp Handicapping Horses a few months ago - there was a thread about it then..Dave Schwartz gave a review.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44222&highlight=ultimate+guide

Guess he should have titled that one the Penultimate Guide.;)

Tom Barrister
05-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I didn't find it on Ebay. I did find it for $8.50 on Lulu. I wouldn't mind paying $2.99 for it, and I have some spare time to read it.

The fact that a new book is out months after the first/second makes me wonder if the author is going to do a Dan Casey and put out book after book until they don't sell anymore. Maybe he wants to be the next James Quinn.

At any rate, Mr. Schwartz didn't give the first book a very good review, and there isn't much reason to believe that this one will be much better.

banacek
05-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I bought the first book from him on ebay. He was selling both of them on ebay until 3 or 4 days ago, now he's gone and it says that he's not a registered user.:confused:

Tom Barrister
05-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I bought the first book from him on ebay. He was selling both of them on ebay until 3 or 4 days ago, now he's gone and it says that he's not a registered user.:confused:

It's possible, I suppose, that somebody else had pirated and was selling the ebooks, and Mr. Tuttle complained to Ebay. It's also possible that the author canceled the account. If I were guessing, I'd say the first was true.

banacek
05-24-2008, 04:23 PM
It's possible, I suppose, that somebody else had pirated and was selling the ebooks, and Mr. Tuttle complained to Ebay. It's also possible that the author canceled the account. If I were guessing, I'd say the first was true.

My payment went to Mr. Tuttle - and all of the old auctions are suddenly inaccessible, so I'm not sure.

GameTheory
05-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I bought both of these as cheap e-books. There were some derisive comments about the first one on this forum a while back. I haven't finished with this latest, but here is my summary review of both:

a) The writing -- the actual prose -- is horrible. He will often use 2 or 3 cliches in the same sentence, many of which he doesn't seem to know the actual meaning of. And then he'll use the same cliches again 4 more times on that page. He doesn't just say, "I believe X" -- instead everything is "in his humble opinion" or it is his "solemn belief". His has about 5 humble opinions and 6 solemn beliefs on every page. So reading it is a bit maddening. It has a feeling of having been verbally dictated and then not proof-read.

b) Despite that, you can actually make sense of everything he is saying. I've read a number of these self-published things where I will read and re-read whole sections and can't make heads or tails of what the hell they are talking about.

c) He claims to be a horseman, his father was a trainer, etc. I've never heard of him, but whatever. He takes the POV of a horseman in all issues, which leads to some new insights if you are strictly a numbers guy who doesn't know diddly about horses.

d) He hates Beyers, and is heavily into watching replays.

e) He discusses betting strategies a fair bit, mostly exotics.

All in all, there were a few nice tidbits here and there. But due to the poor writing, there is no way I could call either of these "good". So it is a crap shoot whether you'll get anything out of them, but at only a few bucks apiece (it seems that this new one covers much of the same ground as the first, plus some new stuff) for the pdf versions, I'd say go ahead and get them if you're the type that likes to read everything. Novices should get something out of them at least. No way would I spend the $$$ for printed versions.

Tom
05-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks, GT.

Donnie
05-25-2008, 11:10 PM
this is what I learned.....

Have you ever wondered why so many
“horses on the outside” win photos? It’s
because of centrifugal force. It’s the
jockey/horse from their extreme outside
post position that can use centrifugal
force to their advantage. They do so, by
“sling shotting” off of the final turn, after
flanking the other speed horse or speed
horses for the first two thirds of the race.

....I always wondered......

lsosa54
05-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Aaah, Donnie, if only the theory would have held up in the 5th @ HOL yesterday! The 15 "sling shotted" on the outside only to be caught by the closing 8 on the inside. Those were my 2 win bets but I would much have preferred the sling shotting outside 8 to 1 over the inside closing 4 to 1.

The only Tuttle I know is Captain Tuttle from one of my favorite MASH episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuttle_(M*A*S*H) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuttle_%28M*A*S*H%29)

this is what I learned.....

Have you ever wondered why so many
“horses on the outside” win photos? It’s
because of centrifugal force. It’s the
jockey/horse from their extreme outside
post position that can use centrifugal
force to their advantage. They do so, by
“sling shotting” off of the final turn, after
flanking the other speed horse or speed
horses for the first two thirds of the race.

....I always wondered......