PDA

View Full Version : Sartin Synthesis for TrackMaster!

Vinnie
02-21-2003, 06:08 PM
HELP!!!

I have the Synthesis for TrackMaster Sartin Program and I really only had the chance to use it for about 1 year when I received it originally. Well, the problem that I am having now is I get a "data width errror" when I try to go into the Paceline selection portion of the program. I don't know if there was an update at some point or what the deal is? If someone has a couple of older datafiles for the synthesis program of old could you please send them to me at the following address so I can compare them to the newer ones that the program is currently using. I call the Sartin folks and email them and I can never get them on the phone or can't seem to contact them no matter how many times I try.

Any help that any user could give would be Greatly Appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie
02-21-2003, 06:10 PM
By the way guys, my email address is as follows:

vincents94@juno.com

Thanks a bunch Guys!

Vinnie

Lefty
02-21-2003, 08:18 PM
I can't get mine to work either. Val2 works but not Synthesis. They musta changed the file.

Vinnie
02-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Lefty,

Thanks for writing. At least I am glad to hear that your Val2 program is working. Lefty, if you happen to have (2) older race files that worked in the Sartin Synthesis program could you please email them to me? I am trying to figure out where the errors are coming from. I have a recent file from TM, but, I need a couple of older ones to see how they differ in format. My system crashed sometime ago, and I never used to back up data (what an idiot I was) <G>...

If you can help me out with a couple of these I would be indebted to you.

Thanks Lefty!

Warm Regards,

Vinnie
email: vincents94@juno.com

Lefty
02-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Vinnie, sorry had much the same prob. I had to restore all my Win98 on laptop about a yr go and all the files were deleted.
I think I read here or somewhere else that Trkmst says the files were changed and Syn no longer works. Might have been on HTR board.

Vinnie
02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Lefty,

Thank you anyhow. I do appreciate it. Do you happen to know anyone else that is or was using the Sart. Synthesis program Lefty?

I just need to get my hands on a couple of those files and I will be Golden. (At least I hope so anyhow! <G>.....)

oldstuff
02-21-2003, 09:15 PM
I called ITS Data who originally did the data files for Synthesis and they no longer (as of a number of years ago) support it.

I called Trackmaster and they no longer support it as of a few years.

It is still advertised on a site, I believe is American Turf. I called them and they know nothing about it.

I posted, asking same question on another site and was told by a very very knowledgable programmer that Sartin never upgraded for Y2K and therefore the dates, etc. couldn't be read and the program now is useless.

I phoned Sartin's new number which I received from TrackMaster and "you are not allowed to leave a message". Sounds like an ancient recording also.

I understand there is another Sartin program that does work. I only have Synthesis and unfortunately can't use it.

midnight
02-22-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm not surprised. Howard never did have any scruples (I welcome Dick Schmidt's comment on that statement, since Dick worked closely with him, and I was only on the perimiter in the 80's and early 90's), and he's getting a bit up in years and probably doesn't care anymore.

Vinnie
02-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Oldstuff, and Midnight,

Thanks for your replies Folks! What a Crock this whole Sartin thing is. I know that Howard hasn't been in the best of health of late, but, it seems like with these folks if you are no longer feeding the cash cow so to speak "Subscribing to the Follow-Up" or whatever, you are out of luck. It is a shame considering how much money you guys/ and I have spent on these programs.

You can ring there phone off the hook and they won't even give you a return call.

Once again, thanks a bunch.

Have a Great Weekend.:cool:

Lefty
02-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Yeah, they still owe me 3 issues of The Follow Up. I understand the Doc being sick but ypu'd think somebody in the family would get in touch. Very disappointing.

LOU M.
02-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Try to e-mail a member on this board called lueylump he may be able to help. He presently uses Sartin.

Vinnie
02-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey Lefty,

Isn't it sad that they are still of course in the business of trying to make money, but, for those that supported them all along or for a good period of time with their dollars they have quite frankly let fall by the wayside? HMMNNNN!!!

Lou M., thanks for the Tip. I think that I will attempt to contact the gentleman whom you have mentioned.

Have a Great One guys!

Lefty
02-23-2003, 11:53 AM
I've been owed these mags 2yrs or so. I heard from Mary about 8 mos ago or so but I had a diff e-mail then and she gave me a new e-mail but I've lost it. However, as a Follow Up subscriber they have my snail mail and ypu'd think they'd be in touch. What makes me mad, the kid, Shane maintains a site for Sartin and I've e-mailed him several times with no response.
If anybody has a new e-mail for Sartin last 6-8 mos or so, please chime in.

Vinnie
02-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Hello Lefty,

I too have experienced very similar levels of difficulty in trying to reach these folks! I have emailed Shane and Mary and never gotten a response. Also, I have left many messages leaving my email and phone number and NO reply at all. By all means, if someone else out there has any information which may be updated please give us a shout.

Thanks.

mattsartin
09-05-2003, 09:29 PM
All - it appears that they are answering the phone now -

call and check out what they can do for you.

tyler
09-13-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm new to this site...just started reading posts.

Am currently a Sartin Val 3 user...works well...but it's relatively new...so we'll see in a few months.

If you haven't solved your problem yet, call Alene on Mondays or Fridays from 12 - 4. She continues as Sartin's tech support. Always very helpful to me. 1-909-849-4499. Good luck!

tyler

Red Knave
09-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Tyler

Can you post more information about Val3?
What is new compared to Val2?
Is is still DOS based?
Still use TM files?

I stopped my Follow-Up subscription about 18 months ago so I'm out of the loop. I got the sense that things wouldn't continue there for too long. From some posts I've seen here, I think they maybe had some problems. Can you fill in some info about this?

Thanks

Tom
09-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Doc took gravely ill a while back-December of 2001? Follow Up ceased with one issue remaining. Heard little news after that, never anything about fullfilling the subscriptions, not That I would even read it anymore, but as far as I am concerned, his operation is dead. Don't know about him.

mattsartin
09-17-2003, 10:04 PM
"It's been a long and tough year and we are now ready to resolve the issue of winding up The Sartin Methodology. Dr. Sartin is holding his own but is not able to resume the work he loved and conducted for more than two decades.

We hope to rectify this and to fulfill obligations of Follow Up subscriptions through the sale of Validator 3c.

We are offering Val 3c for $185 minus Follow Ups owed ($15.00 per issue). Some of our records are incomplete, so if the computation is inaccurate, please let us know. Tech support will be available until March 2004.

The NEW PHONE NUMBER AFTER AUGUST 26, 2003 is:
909-845-5745

email: greathorses2003@yahoo.com"

Howard took sick in Oct 2001 - By March 4 2002 he was hoping to resume tending to his methodology - By Sept 2003 it looks like that is going to be too difficult :(

I don't want any static from the board - he was my mentor and guru.

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I doubt you'll get much static. Many on here hold Sartin and his teachings in high regard, myself included. Was he perfect, or 100% original, of course not. Who is? Did he teach more than a few people to look at races in a new way....YES!

Suff
09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I doubt you'll get much static. Many on here hold Sartin and his teachings in high regard, myself included. Was he perfect, or 100% original, of course not. Who is? Did he teach more than a few people to look at races in a new way....YES!

Treading Lightly because I don't want to start something where there is Nothing. So I'm asking for clarification. Sounds Like Mr. Sartin is a good man and not doing well. I hope things Improve.

But am I reading this Thread right?

People purchased things from him that They either didn't get support for, or didn't get at all?

And they hope to rectify this by selling you something else that they will discount up to the amount they owe you? And they set the Value at $15.00 for what they sold you and did'nt deliver on? Lefty says he is owed material for close to 2 years? Is that right? and the solution is Buy the new program?

Is that it? am I missing something?

shanta
09-18-2003, 09:44 AM
mr. suff you are reading that right. i wish doc all the best. i am and have been a user of his software for 10 years now.having said that i feel the right thing to do would be to refund ALL the monies that are owed to people who paid for the follow ups and then give them the OPTION of buying what will probably be his final program.there is also another problem that has not been addressed and that is that his program SYNTHESIS no longer is usable because of some problem when y2k rolled around. that program was over 600 beans and there are a lot of people i know who are stuck. they have a fix for the problem because a friend i know in jersey has it and called and bitched and moaned and a fix was sent. that is all i am going to say on the subject. DOC I HOPE ALL YOUR DAYS AND NIGHTS ARE PEACEFUL ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RICHIE:)

Vinnie
09-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Hello folks! I sort of have to echo the sentiments of Shanta on this one. The Sartin Synthesis was one of the very first programs that I ever purchased, and after a very short amount of time and when I was moving to Florida the program became unusable. I have tried more times than I can count to get a hold of the folks at the Sartin (O'henry) house, and they never ever once have returned a single email or phone call to me. "NEVER ONCE"! Doc did make me look at the races in a way that before encountering him, I never had, and for that I am grateful. However, all of that aside, it is a shoddy way of carrying out or in this case not carrrying out what you should on the business end of the whole deal.

socantra
09-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Actually, there is a version of Synthesis, with multitrack wagering decision form that is still quite useable. It is an upgrade that was done quite a while before Doc's heart attack, and I know several people who contacted the Sartin organization when it was operating and managed to resolve the problem.

Also, if I remember correctly, the earlier versions of Synthesis came with a manual entry program, which is still quite useable.

It is a problem with programs of data downloads, which is quite likely going to be more and more of a problem in the future. People die or have heart attacks, go out of business, change their lifestyle, or whatever. Data providers change their format with some regularity. The providing of a manual entry program gives you an alternative.

Magazines go out of business regularly without fulfilling their subscription committments. . Life's hard, not fair, and shit happens. Vinnie and Lefty, you've got the new number. Why don't you give it a call and see if they can resolve your issues. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.

Personnaly, I'm much more interested in hearing about Validator 3 than looking for ways that I can be considered a victim. I seriously doubt that Doc Sartin had a heart attack as a means of victimizing you. Its a small family business without its driving force. I recently had a printer friend die while still owing me several hundred dollars worth of work. Business closed down, and sure enough I'm out the money. I lose. so what. He lost much more than I did.

Suff
09-18-2003, 09:16 PM
shill. Please. What Kinda clown are you?

mattsartin
09-18-2003, 09:18 PM
>mr. suff you are reading that right. i wish doc all the best. i am and have been a user of his software for 10
>years now.having said that i feel the right thing to do would be to refund ALL the monies that are owed to people
>who paid for the follow ups and then give them the OPTION of buying what will probably be his final program.there
>is also another problem that has not been addressed and that is that his program SYNTHESIS no longer is usable
>because of some problem when y2k rolled around. that program was over 600 beans and there are a lot of people i
>know who are stuck. they have a fix for the problem because a friend i know in jersey has it and called and bitched
>and moaned and a fix was sent. that is all i am going to say on the subject. DOC I HOPE ALL YOUR DAYS AND NIGHTS ARE
>PEACEFUL ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RICHIE

All -

Seriously, do I have you right? If you have been using the stuff for 10 years, you have EXDC, Synthesis *and* VAL2.
Your Follow-Up cost $100+ per year. The most you could be out is what $120?

Give it a rest. I paid $600 for Office for Win 95, and it doesn't anymore work either! *UPGRADE* for $159!

I bet I can make my old copy of Synthesis work with WindoWs XP. Call the number - they'll help. Y2k is 4 years ago.
Did you try resetting your PC to be Dec 10 1999, and work the download?

What do you bet... $10 per day?

My mentor and friend is lying near death in CA not able to resume the work he loves. I doubt I'll post on this board
again - Seriously.

Suff
09-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Look... Reality is Reality. Sick or no sick....

Its $5.00 a Month to have a voice mail box that explains to people what happened and why.

Its's just as easy to have a WWW site with a Brief explanation.

your talking Long periods with no one answering a Telephone, or responding to e-mails.

Now someone witha Yahoo address says... He don't want no static and send him more money to resolve the issue of not giving you what you sent the first amount of money for.....

Lol... does this Kinda Hustle actually work?

Your only out $120? don't give me static? Don't be a victim?

OK. I won't. I'll send the whole thing over to the Attorney Generals Office. They'll make someone the real victim.

You wanna litttle sympathy for a good man who got sick and could'nt fulfill his obligations. Well.. I could almost go there.

but You blow people off...Tell them they should'nt be upset, and not to be a victim amd send more money. He Beat them out of thier money and then you post a YAHOO e-mail address asking for more money?

Its against the law...and its a Hustle.

Unless they have the internet in Jail.... You won't be posting to anywhere. Seriously.

mattsartin
09-18-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm not affiliated. The handle is out of respect.

You gotta beef? Call the number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They treated me OK.

Have YOU CALLED THE NUMBER? I'm just trying to help out.

I ain't getting a dime out of it.

Are you suing Microsoft because they aren't supporting Windows for Workgroups 3.1.. . dude get a LIFE!

ms

socantra
09-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm not affiliated with either Doc Sartin, or Matt Sartin.

I Was a member of the methodology for a couple of years, but hadn't renewed my subscription for the last of it. I did buy a copy of Validator and Validator 2, and still use Val 2. I'm also keeping my original copy of Validator manual entry for the day when I am no longer able to get working downloads.

Believe you are confusing the posts Sufferin'. It was Matt Sartin who posted the email address a phone number. It was me who posted about blaming others for your "victimization".

As far as being a shill, I'm certainly in deep cover, as I've been registered on this board for as long as you have.

If you need more information to turn me in to the Attorney General, drop me an email and I'll be happy to provide you with my namre and street address so he'll know where to find me.

tyler
09-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Hi,
Just sent this, but don't think it went through. So, again....

I'm new to this site -little over a week- and I don't know everyones' history with the Doc. Can say, however, that my affiliation with the Methodology (about two years) has been a real eye opener and that I have been very satisfied.

I started with Val 2 and just upgraded to Val 3. Yes, I could have paid less for the upgrade if their records were up to date for non-delivered Follow-Ups. But I only got into this to see if I could make any $$$. And Val 2 does just that. So, upgrading to something that may make it easier was a no brainer...regardless of their bookkeeping.

I was concerned about comments made about Trackmaster's lack of support for Synthesis. Especially, since Val 2 & Val 3 contain a Synthesis version. So, I called them. Their comments were that changes in their files/data didn't support the "older" versions of Synthesis (prior to 2000??) but that the newer versions and Val 2/Val 3 would be supported indefinetly.

Anyway, interesting posts.

tyler

socantra
09-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by tyler
Hi,

I was concerned about comments made about Trackmaster's lack of support for Synthesis. Especially, since Val 2 & Val 3 contain a Synthesis version. So, I called them. Their comments were that changes in their files/data didn't support the "older" versions of Synthesis (prior to 2000??) but that the newer versions and Val 2/Val 3 would be supported indefinetly.

Anyway, interesting posts.

tyler

Yes, there is a version of Synthesis with Multitrack Wagering Decision Form that works just fine with current Trackmaster downloads. I used it just last week to make sure, but generally I prefer to use Val2, as its a lot less trouble and IMHO the innovation of V'DC will get you an extra winner or two per 20 race cycle.

The working version of Synthesis came out long before Doc's heart attack, and many people upgraded to it. Don't remember if there was any charge or not, but it was definitely available for a long time before they quit answering the phones.

Suff
09-19-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by mattsartin
I'm not affiliated. The handle is out of respect.

Sartin Methodology -
"It's been a long and tough year and we are now ready to resolve the issue of winding up The Sartin Methodology. Dr. Sartin is holding his own but is not able to resume the work he loved and conducted for more than two decades.

We hope to rectify this and to fulfill obligations of Follow Up subscriptions through the sale of Validator 3c.

We are offering Val 3c for $185 minus Follow Ups owed ($15.00 per issue). Some of our records are incomplete, so if the computation is inaccurate, please let us know. Tech support will be available until March 2004.

Suff
09-19-2003, 05:17 AM
Now your not affilated? Don't you think The above post gives the impression you are or were.

If Sartin is not well...and due to that fact he didn't fulfill his legal obligations. He broke the law. Now your asking people to send Money to whom? You? Sartin?

Unless I get a Note from someone I know and trust. Like PA.

I'm bundling all this up and Calling and Faxing it to the Attorneys generals office this afternoon.

If your intention is Pure.. You should'nt mind... Who ever your speaking for...and whoever is getting the responsibilty for cleaning up the mess... should appreciatte that.

After all.. your genuinely trying to make things right, correct?

Well.. The attorney Generals office should be able to clearly advise you, on what your legally obligated to do.

But I can tell you right now.. If Sartin stiffed people out of money and now your proposing they send you MORE money to get back the original amount they got stiffed for... You also are breaking the law.

This is why I asked for clarification.. Because I wasn't sure if this is what was being asked. But it appears it is.

So your either to "green" to see the error of your ways

Or your to "green" to know that your 4th rate schtick would be scoped out with ease on this board.

Red Knave
09-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Suff -
You certainly don't know or trust me and maybe I'm more gullible than I should be, but here is my take on that post.

First, there are quote marks around the paragraph starting with =It's been a long tough year= and ending with the email address. It looked to me like he was quoting from something he read or received from them.
Second, I was a 'client' of theirs for 10 years (we were clients, not customers) and I never read anything about anybody, related or not, named Matt. I did read often about a son, daughter and wife, none of whom had that name. So, for me, there was no direct name recognition.
Third, I didn't get the impression from his post that >HE< was asking anybody to send money. It seemed to me that he was passing along a message but I could be easily fooled about that.

So, I'm still more than 50% convinced that his intention was pure.
Just my .02.

Lefty
09-19-2003, 12:32 PM
I am owed 3 issues of the Follow Up but i'm certainly not bitching about it I just miss the Follow Up. I wish the Doc well.
I did e-mail to the adress Matt gave and asked about differences in Val 2 and 3 but so far no response. Only been 2 days though.
Whatever happens i'm not going to worry about. Just hope the Doc pulls through.

mattsartin
09-19-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm a new poster.

It was a quote. It was something I recieved from them on 9/7. I was legitimately trying to help.

I am not related to H. Sartin. My handle was intended as a tribute and has led to this flame war. I'm a client.
I am not a paid employee of O' Henry House. I'm not Shane (his son). I'm not his daughter.

I was not *asking* anyone to send money. I was merely passing
on the information I got on 9/7. That is NOT my email at Yahoo. If you want to know more, call the support number. I haven't upgraded myself yet. I use Val2. I plan on upgrading.

I did offer some opinions which have inflamed some. I'm sorry about that. Many of you are clearly anti-Sartin or are pissed about previous issues with Sartin/O'Henry/etc . I was not prepared for that level of anger. I guess
I'm naive.

Many of the threads are "I bought this back in 1996 for $500 and it don't work no more". I wasn't very eloquent, but most software from 1996 doesn't work anymore either.

Lefty - I am not going to get back to anybody who mailed me directly after this. I'm sorry.

Yes - When posters start dropping the attorney general bomb on me, yes I get nervous.

Not for me, I'm just an Old Sartin client. I don't need to be advised of anything "legally".

I'm not proposing that anybody send any more money to the anyone. Again - I was merely passing this along -

"We are offering Val 3c for $185 minus Follow Ups owed ($15.00 per issue). Some of our records are incomplete, so if the computation is inaccurate, please let us know.

909-845-5745 "

Yes, I don't want to see anything bad happen to the Sartin folks trying to wrap up the Val3 upgrades and close up shop. I like those people. I don't want to start a firestorm of problems for them, but its probably too late for that.

So in conclusion - the upgrade offer is out there if you want it. If you do not want it, don't get it. If you want
to talk to somebody about getting your "credits" for the Follow-Up, try calling the number or writing the email.
I don't think that would be very productive, but you can try to work it out with them.

I'm done here. Back to lurking. I'll take my 4th rate schtick elsewhere.

cj
09-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mattsartin

...Many of the threads are "I bought this back in 1996 for $500 and it don't work no more". I wasn't very eloquent, but most software from 1996 doesn't work anymore either...

The quote above is not very accurate...computers are backwards compatible. Old computers can't run new stuff, but new computers can certainly run any well written older software. If it doesn't work now, it was poorly coded.

Suff
09-19-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm not inflamed dude.... and I see now your saying the users names a Tribute.

Its crazy to me.. Not what your doing But the whole picture.

Who cares if its $120.00 worth of magazines or a $1.00's worth of dirt.

If I pay for something. I expect it. And If I don't get it and the answer is "buy something else". Thats Bizarro world.

You like the guy.. You tried to do right by him. Ok. I'll shut my mouth and move along.

The thing smells rotten to me... but I've said my piece.

Red Knave
09-19-2003, 07:03 PM
CJ

Originally posted by cjmilkowski
The quote above is not very accurate...computers are backwards compatible. Old computers can't run new stuff, but new computers can certainly run any well written older software. If it doesn't work now, it was poorly coded.

The original programs from Sartin were DOS based. Don't know about Val3 but Val2 definitely is. Printing is a big problem for DOS programs that send output directly to the printer port (which Val2 does) instead of to a printer driver or a file.
Also, I think the download file format changed and the old Synthesis program could not read it properly.

Tom
09-19-2003, 07:38 PM

I still do things routinely today that I learned from the Sartin group. Glad to hear he is still with us. Tell him I said hello.

Tom
09-19-2003, 07:46 PM
I STILL love Kgen. :D

Tom
09-19-2003, 07:47 PM

I still do things routinely today that I learned from the Sartin group. Glad to hear he is still with us. Tell him I said hello.

Vinnie
09-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Hey, I wish Doc only the Very Best with his health and all else.

Honestly, I don't hold a grudge of any sort against the folks at O'henryhouse at all. But, I must admit, I am a lot like Suff when it comes to only wanting what you paid for. Whether something cost $6 or $6k, just give me something that works. I am not going to be ringing your phone off the hook every night of the week over any kind of silly issues regarding the software. But, I do have a problem with being totally ignored when your only genuine concern is to have the software working and it seems that the only way that you get attention of any kind from those folks is if you are willing to pay to upgrade to some other program that they are currently offering.

I called, emailed and called again and again over the past 2 to 3 years occasionally, and never once did I get a single response of any kind to let me know what was going on with the business or anything else. That is the only problem that I have with them. I have other tools at my disposal that aid me in my style of handicapping the pony's. I just miss viewing the plethora of graphs and ratings that seemed to be indigenous to the methodology.

PaceAdvantage
09-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Maybe all involved here need to take a deep breath and relax. And no, I don't think this thread is full of flames. I think it is full of heated discussion, but not flames. Many valid points were raised, and many issues were debated.

After everyone relaxes, perhaps MattSartin will reconsider and stay onboard.

Suff
09-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Red Knave
Suff -
You certainly don't know or trust me and maybe I'm more gullible than I should be, but here is my take on that post.

Just my .02.

I met you. And spent 2 days with you at Whispering Pines and Saratoga. I know you better than 99% of the people out here.

And You were a complete Gentleman and pleasure to have. So yes.. I would heavily weigh any suggestion or idea you have.

Red Knave
09-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
I met you. And spent 2 days with you at Whispering Pines and Saratoga. I know you better than 99% of the people out here.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's true.

Originally posted by Sufferindowns
And You were a complete Gentleman and pleasure to have. So yes.. I would heavily weigh any suggestion or idea you have.
Okay, now I'm blushing.
Speaking of gentlemen, you set the standard at 'Toga.
Did I thank you enough for that?