PDA

View Full Version : RI Fire

Suff
02-21-2003, 02:44 PM
What a tradegy....... I want to look away but It's tough. New Englands a small region and RI is close...

They just Updated the Numbers at 2:40 pm

86 Fatalities
25 in Critical Condition at Boston Hospitals
166 People Hospitalized.

What a devastation. We're hurtin up here.

Suff
02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Just Found another 9 bodies......

so.cal.fan
02-21-2003, 06:33 PM
It's been a very bad year.
:(

Lefty
02-21-2003, 08:21 PM
IT's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened. What kind of idiot sets off fireworks in closed building?
Can you say, "Lawsuit?"

Suff
02-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Yep... was a Fatal Mistake... But from watching all the coverage did you see how quickly the stage caught fire? I've seen things covered in Gasoline ignite and burn slower than that? It went up like POOF!! and the place was ablaze.

Those Jerbs... or sparklers... as I follow the news reports are used inside frequently... Many Pyrotech's have said on TV that you can almost put your hand above them and not get burned. That they are harmless... Like a sparkler that you'd use on July 4th...

I don't know... I have no knowledge of these things.

There's a Disturbing video that I saw late this afternoon that shows about 25 people literally sooo jammed in the doorway that not one of them could move,,, they were half in the builiding and half outside,, they were alive and others were trying to pull them out. But it was such a stampede and panic that all hell broke loose........ It's Bone Jarring to watch.

They did just did an interview with a Doctor from Shriners Burn center in Boston. He frankly stated that the Fatality rate for the people with the degree of burns that were brought to his hospital is above 50%. And he got 25 people. So the Death total will be over 100.

And they also found another Body late tonight.
It's really sad. Who was at fault or whatever can wait.. It's time to mourn the tradgedy and feel for the people and thier Families.
I can't imagine the horror those kids went through. Another thing.. Its was a Live Rock-n-Roll Club... Alcohol was flowing. It was after 11:00 Pm... I think Alcohol might have impaired peoples survival instincts. You can see them hooting and dancing to the music as the Flames climbed the wall... Even the Band... as I watched... were still playing thier Guitars as the Flames climbed up the walls... Baffling.

superfecta
02-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Looking at the video,that looked like a firetrap to begin with.Low ceilings,no sprinkler system,I can't believe how fast that fire started.What is it with two clubs getting people killed inside of a week?Strange....I never thought it would be like that here in America.But I was wrong.

JustRalph
02-22-2003, 01:32 AM
This stuff has been happening for 50 years in America. But the stupidity of that group last night was beyond the pale. Below is a list of previous club fires etc.

Nov. 28, 1942
491 dead, Cocoanut Grove club, Boston. Cause unknown.
April 23, 1940
198 dead, Rhythm Night Club dance hall in Natchez, Miss. Cause unknown.
May 28, 1977
164 dead, Beverly Hills Supper Club in Southgate, Ky. Defective wiring.

March 25, 1990
87 dead, Happy Land Social Club in The Bronx, New York. Arson.
April 13, 1928
40 dead, dance hall in West Plains, Mo.(explosion). Cause unknown.
June 24, 1973
32 dead, Upstairs Bar in New Orleans. Cause unknown.

Oct. 24, 1976
25 dead, Puerto Rican Social Club in The Bronx, New York. Arson.
June 30, 1974
24 dead, Gulliver’s Discotheque in Port Chester, N.Y. Arson fire in nearby bowling alley spread to disco.

superfecta
02-23-2003, 11:59 PM
What i was alluding to was the fact that it doesn't happen that much at all in America.It happens with regularity in other countries,almost seems like a method of population control.But stupidity is becoming a major by product of our success as a country.

JustRalph
02-24-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by superfecta
But stupidity is becoming a major by product of our success as a country.

Can't argue that one.....

Tom
02-24-2003, 06:37 PM
I saw the video of the band playing, people dancing, and the flames spreading....it was really sad - their fate already sealed, they had not a clue. And on top of that, that poor little girl supposedly died, although Duke pulling the plug was really a slap in the face of her parents. Very sad weekend. And on the heels of the Chicago disastor.....and roofs collapsing under weight of snow and burying people....it's like the week from Hell. I sure hope this week brings better.