PDA

View Full Version : New again

BUD
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I was here for a while last year..The Law Enforcement guy who was injured on duty.....I picked up this game it was a life saver...The BOOM DX'd with a cruddy disease that left me all the more helpless....More time on my back....Bored outta my skull..

Well dammit I will stay down no more....

OK the reason for my post I am looking for a little help in my quest to learn this game more....And I am slightly limited in what I can do...

Handicapping has become what motivates me and gets me out of bed....

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to get some any insights any of you may want to share...

I may not be able to shoot on the range or hit the ball out of the park even run to the mutual window, so this is whats left for me.. Its my rush..My sense of being involved in the sport..Any sport...

For what help or suggestions I am grateful...Thanks....
pete

Robert Fischer
05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
this game can be stimulating

I suggest you learn as much as possible about the pools (markets)

the sport ( looking at the racing, training. riding)

and note who your opponent is (the public).

Practicing first with some serious effort on the actual pools and watching the races and forming opinions can help. - even if your learning period is without making actual wagers.

http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-pastperformances.htm
google.com - use to look up track websites / replays
http://calracing.com/replays.php - replays

hope this motivates you.

beenacoach
05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I too am disabled. I was re-training some off the track TB's and had a freak accident. Then the Dr.'s managed to mess up and it left me in a wheel chair. I have been involved with horses since I was ten and raised and trained racing Quarter Horses for many years. I have now gotten into TB racing as an owner to have a reason to get up...just like you. I just started posting in here but...welcome back aboard.

Mike

rokitman
05-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Pete and Mike,

Very good to see you two men here, rising from adversity.

I think it would be informative to read the HTR newsletters. Scroll down the page a bit to see them http://www.homebased2.com/km/library.htm

Chris

BUD
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Chris , Mike and RF.....I will take your advice....And Mike Thanks for your inspiration........

I will read and do those things...I'll play Belmont today on paper only....

kitts
05-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I suggest you get started on, IMHO, the essential foundation. Watch 5000 races and handicap and bet 1000 and you will be ready for more. Also, you can find some really great books recommended by many of the posters here just by doing a Search.

beenacoach
05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you one and all for the welcome and the suggestions. However, I don't have the patience to handicap the way most of you hard core bettors do and I know I don't. I do look at PP's and some of what they can tell me, but lean heavily on handicapping the appearance of the horses and the recent success of the connections. Even then I am an infrequent and small dollar amount bettor. I manage to win way more often than I lose but either way it is only a few dollars. I prefer to "gamble" by investing in the horses themselves as that is where my real strengths are. My past experience with horses, degree in psychology, and 25 years of investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect help me to find my way through picking horses and trainers but spending hours slogging through all of the variables the hard core handicappers do is just not enjoyable for me. I admire some of what you guys do that is for sure.

BUD
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
It seems to me the more you learn the more you understand you don't really know that much....I have a hard time utilizing all the information that I get.. And I know Nothing about pedigree...

I find it beneficial to get the video up from the track and turn HRTV or TVG down and hear what Jan Rushton and the other guy has to say....

Do you folks keep a data base on your computer...I had mine in a note book...That turned out to be a colossal mess....I also find I struggle endlessly with turf races....It seems that all I can do is maybe pick a trainer like Linda Rice or maybe Hushion at nice odds....Other than that the setup is still an enigma to me...

Those earlier posts with the links I bookmarked them and will be sure to delve into them further this evening... And kitts I will search around the site for books that may improve my game....Hell I have all the time in the world to read them....

But I guess what draws me to this is the difficulty involved...Plus its such a rush to handicap a race then watch it play out before your eyes.....Especially if I did it properly...

Again thanks for the help...With a little help maybe I can turn my dumb money into reasonably smart money$$

onefast99
05-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Right now it seems the speed has been holding true to form at Monmouth Park. Try to look at the handicapping system that John Del Riccio has( Henry kruk rating) it is pretty decent and John is a good person. Good luck with the horses!

BUD
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I will be tuned to Monmouth Friday Saturday and Sunday...

Thanks OneFast

riskman
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Here are two links that provide Handicapping information.

http://turfpedia.com/index.html This is fairly basic but will entice you to look further at the process.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=allnews
This is a series of newsletters for users of the Allways handicapping program. Most of the information in these newsletters are full of helpful explanations and tips for getting the most out your handicapping regardless if you use Allways or not.( I do not use Allways.)

Best to you !

Kelso
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I will be tuned to Monmouth Friday Saturday and Sunday...

Thanks OneFastMTH is open Monday, for the holiday, too.