PDA

View Full Version : More Steroids...and counting...

razzle
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
There are enough groups, and enough drugs involved in this that it appears even the author, Tom LaMarra, became overwhelmed. Connie Whitfield, chair of the drug council, admits to her confusion.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45322.htm

Thinking of these 70+ substances as “legal” is a semantic distinction that serves to enable. These substances are either:

unknown
un-testable
unregulated

Therefore, they cannot be determined "legal" or “illegal” nor can they be banned, because racing hasn’t developed the means to enforce it. The substances can only be regarded as “not illegal”, yet.

If a new hallucinogen or ecstacy-type drug were discovered last month, which was immediately thought to have some helpful psychiatric applications in prescribed dosages, but for which there’s no test in children, would you be in favor of adults giving it to elementary school age children on the playground? If you caught someone giving it to a child you knew, would you assert how "legal" it was?

Would you be willing to allow the government to defer to racing jurisdictions to create the tests and regulations for it? If so, and it takes the racing jurisdictions 40 years to get to the point described in the article, would you be praising the guys who benefited from giving it to the little kids?

raz

john del riccio
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
There are enough groups, and enough drugs involved in this that it appears even the author, Tom LaMarra, became overwhelmed. Connie Whitfield, chair of the drug council, admits to her confusion.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/45322.htm

Thinking of these 70+ substances as “legal” is a semantic distinction that serves to enable. These substances are either:

unknown
un-testable
unregulated

Therefore, they cannot be determined "legal" or “illegal” nor can they be banned, because racing hasn’t developed the means to enforce it. The substances can only be regarded as “not illegal”, yet.

If a new hallucinogen or ecstacy-type drug were discovered last month, which was immediately thought to have some helpful psychiatric applications in prescribed dosages, but for which there’s no test in children, would you be in favor of adults giving it to elementary school age children on the playground? If you caught someone giving it to a child you knew, would you assert how "legal" it was?

Would you be willing to allow the government to defer to racing jurisdictions to create the tests and regulations for it? If so, and it takes the racing jurisdictions 40 years to get to the point described in the article, would you be praising the guys who benefited from giving it to the little kids?

raz

I have said for a while now that racing has made their own bed and will need to lie in it at some point. The governmnet has had no regulatory influence
what so ever (even though interfering with a pari-mutuel event is illegal, and gone unchecked inmany many cases WRT to illegal drugs) but that is obviously going to change. The ADW mess as well as the steroid issue, CO2 levels, and numerous other black-eyes will eventually catch up with the powers that be and once that happens, i can't imagine how things will turn out.

Rember what ross perot would say "You'll here this big sucking sound as everyone runs for the hills...".

John

kenwoodallpromos
05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Are performance-enhancing drugs more frowned upon because they have immediate detectable results whereas steroid helps muscling long-term?

john del riccio
05-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Are performance-enhancing drugs more frowned upon because they have immediate detectable results whereas steroid helps muscling long-term?

KW,

I am not sure I totaly agree in saying that steroids aren't performance enhancing. When a colts testosterone is enhanced, they can get extremely aggressive and competitive which is what all top racehorses need to have as a trait.

John

Tom
05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I never would have thought I would say it, but I think racing needs to fall under government regulation. :eek: They have ignored thier problems far too long, and bottom line is they allow thier own to literally steal money from a trusting public on a daily basis. Any game in Vegas run as shodily as racing is would be shut down in a flash. It is sad to have to resort to the feds, who will screw up anyting they do, but at least it would nice to get hosed by some new folks for awhile. :bang: There must one set of rules for every track, and only one set.

There just are not enough smart AND honest people in racing to ever fix it.

john del riccio
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I never would have thought I would say it, but I think racing needs to fall under government regulation. :eek: They have ignored thier problems far too long, and bottom line is they allow thier own to literally steal money from a trusting public on a daily basis. Any game in Vegas run as shodily as racing is would be shut down in a flash. It is sad to have to resort to the feds, who will screw up anyting they do, but at least it would nice to get hosed by some new folks for awhile. :bang: There must one set of rules for every track, and only one set.

There just are not enough smart AND honest people in racing to ever fix it.

Tom,

Unfortuntaley, I beleive you are 100% correct.

John

ezpace
05-21-2008, 03:16 PM
in CA.they use about anything but prefer South American orignated hop.along with the lasix and STEROIDS.

IN KY it was snake juice(venom) but it got to HOT,,,, BUT THEIR going the way of the FL an NY boyz now ,they like European originated human heart attack medicine.with their LASIX and STEROIDS.

and we won't mention the morphine derivatives used coast to coast.

chickenhead
05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
If a new hallucinogen or ecstacy-type drug were discovered last month....If you caught someone giving it to a child you knew...

I would obviously confiscate said material, and personally test it for purity and performance. Quite probably multiple tests would be required, you can't be too careful.