PDA

View Full Version : Preakness aftermath

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Have been told by several Baltimore City Police Officers that after the Preakness, there were numerous muggings, several carjackings, car vandalisms/thefts on several "private lots"
in the area in addition to pickpocketing reports at the track itself in addition to numerous arrests made in the infield for various reasons, drunk and disorderly, public nudity, public urination, resisting arrest, fighting, and also 12 ambulance calls during the course of the day.

Just thought a "heads up" was in order if you t hought about coming here next year; if there is a next year for MJC.

john del riccio
05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Have been told by several Baltimore City Police Officers that after the Preakness, there were numerous muggings, several carjackings, car vandalisms/thefts on several "private lots"
in the area in addition to pickpocketing reports at the track itself in addition to numerous arrests made in the infield for various reasons, drunk and disorderly, public nudity, public urination, resisting arrest, fighting, and also 12 ambulance calls during the course of the day.

Just thought a "heads up" was in order if you t hought about coming here next year; if there is a next year for MJC.

Ever since the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer Preakness, I swore I would never go back there again. What a mess....

John

onefast99
05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
You should read the english soccer reports where people are beaten up on a regular basis during these games where crowds exceed 100k! I'm sure some of the "police" info you heard didnt have anything to do with the Preakness!

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
You should read the english soccer reports where people are beaten up on a regular basis during these games where crowds exceed 100k! I'm sure some of the "police" info you heard didnt have anything to do with the Preakness!

It had everything to do with the fact that the Preakness was in town. So that you know, this is an area that is not frequented by members of the opposite race any other time of the year except the 3rd Saturday of May, therefore every report had to do directly with the fact that these "strangers" were in an unfamiliar and unwelcoming nieghborhood. By the way the "police" info I refer to is 100% accurate.

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Baltimore -- isn't that where the NBC series, "Homicide, Life on the Streets" was suppose to be based? Just watch enough TV and you'd know what to expect! D'oh! :)

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
You should read the english soccer reports ...

Speaking of English futbol, whos' going to win tomorrow?

garyscpa
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
It had everything to do with the fact that the Preakness was in town. So that you know, this is an area that is not frequented by members of the opposite race any other time of the year except the 3rd Saturday of May, therefore every report had to do directly with the fact that these "strangers" were in an unfamiliar and unwelcoming nieghborhood. By the way the "police" info I refer to is 100% accurate.

I'm curious. What is a "member of the opposite race?":lol:

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm curious. What is a "member of the opposite race?":lol:

Gary- I was trying to be PC. Pimlico is a predominately African American nieghborhood in the area immediately surrounding the track and for a few blocks beyond. It is a high crime, high drug use area. It is typically not frequented by non AA's.
When the Preakness is in town, that Friday and Saturday there is a high police profile in the area. Unfortunately, the police cannot be everywhere at once. Crimes occur in this area on a regular basis. It is one of the most dangerous areas in Baltimore. It is in the Northwest sector and usually leads the city or is close to leading in the # of murders per police sub-division. Baltimore averages over 200 per year, used to be over 300 regularly.

I may not always be correct in my handicapping analysis, but I have lived here for 60 years and I think on this topic, I have a bit more knowkedge than most.

PS- I drove a cab part-time when the boys were young so that alone should speak volumes.

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Baltimore -- isn't that where the NBC series, "Homicide, Life on the Streets" was suppose to be based? Just watch enough TV and you'd know what to expect! D'oh! :)

It's a really good city, like most, you just have to know where to go and not to go.;)

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
It's a really good city, like most, you just have to know where to go and not to go.;)
yeah , know when to run and where to hide .

Si2see
05-20-2008, 05:48 PM
cj's dad, thanks for the post. This is why I have spoke out before on here, and to several horse enthusiasts as a place I probably will never go again after going the last three years. Everything you said in your first post is true and I have seen almost every one of those things happen at least once in the 3 years that I went. Jason

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
yeah , know when to run and where to hide .

I would lay 1/5 there are areas like that in Houston.

Make it 1/9 :D

rrbauer
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Right series, but easily made obsolete by HBO's "The Wire".

Gruesome stuff.

Tom Barrister
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM

In other words, it was just like any other city when a big event comes to town.. This happens every year at every major event. The police know that these events are going to draw pickpockets, car thieves, vandals, muggers, etc., and they're supposed to be prepared to deal with it. They knew that Pimlico would have a huge crowd. They can't stop everything that's happening, and perhaps they did a good job of containing it. It's hardly a surprise, though.

I'm not denouncing your heads-up, but it's not something that should be startling news to anybody who regularly attends such events.

Tom
05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I used to eat at Jimmy's every time I went to Baltimore - they had photos of the crew allover the place. It was the place they met at on the show. Nice place. I used to stop and buy my form (and Utz Crab potato chips) in a 7-11 on Broening Highway, just below Boston street - not your nicest of neighborhoods, but, hey, it was the Form! And those chips......:p

Pimlico used to be a nice track, but the last time I went as my last.

onefast99
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
In other words, it was just like any other city when a big event comes to town.. This happens every year at every major event. The police know that these events are going to draw pickpockets, car thieves, vandals, muggers, etc., and they're supposed to be prepared to deal with it. They knew that Pimlico would have a huge crowd. They can't stop everything that's happening, and perhaps they did a good job of containing it. It's hardly a surprise, though.

I'm not denouncing your heads-up, but it's not something that should be startling news to anybody who regularly attends such events.
Thank you for posting. This is not front page news to anyone familiar with this area.

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I would lay 1/5 there are areas like that in Houston.

Make it 1/9 :D
Of course there is . I live about 50 miles north of town . Whats your point ?

cj's dad
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you for posting. This is not front page news to anyone familiar with this area.

Must be a famous area, even in NJ.

You'd miss the landfills though:lol:

Bruddah
05-20-2008, 11:33 PM
I used to eat at Jimmy's every time I went to Baltimore - they had photos of the crew allover the place. It was the place they met at on the show. Nice place. I used to stop and buy my form (and Utz Crab potato chips) in a 7-11 on Broening Highway, just below Boston street - not your nicest of neighborhoods, but, hey, it was the Form! And those chips......:p

Pimlico used to be a nice track, but the last time I went as my last.

Back in the mid to late 80's. On the weekends, I would drive up to Baltimore and Pimlico. It was a tough area back then. I can only imagine it has gotten tougher. it is a shame because Pimlico and Baltimore were a few of my favorite memories. Great people in Baltimore and they had some beautiful women. I digress, back to horses and handicapping. :ThmbUp: :)

onefast99
05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Must be a famous area, even in NJ.

You'd miss the landfills though:lol:
Yep landfills all over the place here, but good cab drivers take you thru the horse farm country! You should get out more the new Prudential Center in Newark is a big step up from the poorly designed "izod"center. The New Giants and Jets stadium is going up real fast and Xanadu will be opening this summer. A lot has been done in NJ.

cj's dad
05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Yep landfills all over the place here, but good cab drivers take you thru the horse farm country! You should get out more the new Prudential Center in Newark is a big step up from the poorly designed "izod"center. The New Giants and Jets stadium is going up real fast and Xanadu will be opening this summer. A lot has been done in NJ.

I know - just pulling your chain !! All places have their good and bad points.

onefast99
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I know - just pulling your chain !! All places have their good and bad points.
If your going to the Belmont, get there early!

TurfRuler
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Gary- I was trying to be PC. Pimlico is a predominately African American nieghborhood in the area immediately surrounding the track and for a few blocks beyond. It is a high crime, high drug use area. It is typically not frequented by non AA's.

Now I know why non AA's want to close Hollywood Park and Bay Meadows. Just look what happened when the Rams left the LA coliseum for the same reasons. I just want to know why many non AA's don't visit my part of town here in the South when we have babeques in the park? Or visit my church on Sundays.

cj's dad
05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
If your going to the Belmont, get there early!

I'll be there as I have for the past 10 years minus the Smarty Jones year.

I come up on a chartered bus trip from Baltimore with 39 others; beer, bloodies, and mimosas on the way up and back along with 20 Umbertos pizzas picked up on the return trip. Leave @ 6:30, arrive at the track about 10:30(depending on the BQE) and get back about 1:00AM.

Horse racing movies including the annual airing of "Let It Ride" on the way home. It's a long but good day. Will be better if BB wins !

Tom
05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Now that sounds like a perfect day!