PDA

View Full Version : Twinspires now has conditional wagering!

hbeck
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
It is pretty sweet, if you ask me.

DeanT
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, I wonder where they got that idea.

Pretty sharp Twin Spires ;)

Tampa Russ
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Glad to see that happen. I must have missed the announcment as it just seemed to magically appear today.

cmoore
05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Glad to see that happen. I must have missed the announcment as it just seemed to magically appear today.

I logged on today and there it was...I was like WOW!!!! A nice little feature I can test my angles on and pass on ml odds that are 6-1 and bet down to 2-1..This really helps out the bettor in the long run..

richrosa
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Just an educated hunch.

I betcha they withdraw this feature after bugs surface and it doesn't work as they expected. This team has a long history of releasing things too early in the development process.

richrosa
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Site is down already!!

Service Unavailable - Zero size object
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #15.8b7ffea5.1211313911.22f265

then I got this.

Unable to connect to database server

If you still have to install Drupal, proceed to the installation page.

If you have already finished installed Drupal, this either means that the username and password information in your settings.php file is incorrect or that we can't connect to the MySQL database server. This could mean your hosting provider's database server is down.

The MySQL error was: Too many connections.

Currently, the username is drupal and the database server is atab-db.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
* Are you sure that the database server is running?

For more help, see the Installation and upgrading handbook. If you are unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your hosting provider.

then this happened

Database Error

Error connecting to database.

This error was generated by the wagering interface.

Tampa Russ
05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
What a SHOCKER!!

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
What's next?

First, signals are withheld and wagering on entire cards is not available. Then, the server to make the wagers goes down. Is the next thing to happen my PC going to crash? Or will it be a bad software update from MSFT causing the dreaded BSOD?

Ya gots to laugh, otherwise you'll go crazy!

startngate
05-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I just made a conditional wager successfully on Prm. Maybe they got it fixed.

I would like to see the ability to do a WPS, or a WS based on the win odds. I'm sure it will get more sophisticated as they continue developing it.

cmoore
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Site is down already!!

Service Unavailable - Zero size object
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #15.8b7ffea5.1211313911.22f265

then I got this.

Unable to connect to database server

If you still have to install Drupal, proceed to the installation page.

If you have already finished installed Drupal, this either means that the username and password information in your settings.php file is incorrect or that we can't connect to the MySQL database server. This could mean your hosting provider's database server is down.

The MySQL error was: Too many connections.

Currently, the username is drupal and the database server is atab-db.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
* Are you sure that the database server is running?

For more help, see the Installation and upgrading handbook. If you are unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your hosting provider.

then this happened

Database Error

Error connecting to database.

This error was generated by the wagering interface.

site is running fine for me..

richrosa
05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
site is running fine for me..

That's great!! It was down for a half an hour for the rest of us this afternoon.

KMS
05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I just made a conditional wager successfully on Prm. Maybe they got it fixed.

I would like to see the ability to do a WPS, or a WS based on the win odds. I'm sure it will get more sophisticated as they continue developing it.

I would also like to be able to bet on a particular horse in an entry, and cancel the bet if that horse scratches. I usually have to place my wagers pretty far in advance of post time, and that's been one of my pet peeves for years. So much so that I'll pass on the bet if the other half of the entry doesn't look strong.

Pace Cap'n
05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Is the next thing to happen my PC going to crash? Or will it be a bad software update from MSFT causing the dreaded BSOD?

I hear SP3 is wreaking havoc with some XP machines.

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
SP3 is on 3 of 4 machines with no problems but that 4th machine is having problems downloading IE7 and other fixes. It's the odd machine out since it's running ME 2002 (2003?) and has been a constant problem. In the year and a half I've had it, I've had to reload the OS twice. The 3 boxes running XP Pro have been pretty much trouble free -- thankfully.

richrosa
05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Off topic. Switch to Ubuntu Linux. The last version just came out and is nearly flawless.

and free!!

JustRalph
05-20-2008, 07:37 PM
SP3 is on 3 of 4 machines with no problems but that 4th machine is having problems downloading IE7 and other fixes. It's the odd machine out since it's running ME 2002 (2003?) and has been a constant problem. In the year and a half I've had it, I've had to reload the OS twice. The 3 boxes running XP Pro have been pretty much trouble free -- thankfully.

you might be the only person left running "ME"

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 07:54 PM
you might be the only person left running "ME"

That's Media Edition not Millenium.

JustRalph
05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
That's Media Edition not Millenium.

Phew! I was starting to worry about you............ :lol: :lol:

DJofSD
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Phew! I was starting to worry about you............

No worries! But what I didn't mention is I still have one other PC that I use to run DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 programs!

Kelso
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Off topic. Switch to Ubuntu Linux. The last version just came out and is nearly flawless.

and free!!Rich,
Can one run most/all Windows applications ... specifically MS Office ... on Linux?

richrosa
05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Rich,
Can one run most/all Windows applications ... specifically MS Office ... on Linux?

Yup. MSOffice runs flawlessly under Linux, and i many cases better (it crashes less), however I exchange documents, spreadsheets and presentations with MSOffice users using OpenOffice and have not had even a single issue.

Ubuntu comes with a Windows compatibility layer (Wine) that runs better than 90% of popular windows programs without any tweaks, and many games too.

JustRalph
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
No worries! But what I didn't mention is I still have one other PC that I use to run DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 programs!

good for you. Love the command line.............I miss some of the great games I could run on Win 3.11.................. :ThmbUp:

BillW
05-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Rich,

It won't run any spyware of viruses. :eek:

GameTheory
05-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Back to conditional wagering. It is great to have, but once everybody gets it and everybody sets their bets to go in at 0 MTP, the pools will become *really* unpredictable, especially at the smaller tracks...

cmoore
05-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Back to conditional wagering. It is great to have, but once everybody gets it and everybody sets their bets to go in at 0 MTP, the pools will become *really* unpredictable, especially at the smaller tracks...

that would be about a decade down the road...Maybe!!!!!

KMS
05-22-2008, 01:30 AM

That's actually a good point. Conditional betting is predicated on there being other bettors who put their money in regardless. What if everybody decides to bet conditionally?

On a somewhat related note, There's a service that uses a proprietary algorithm to arrive at a "power rating" for each horse. Not the BRIS prime power rating, but something similar. Post time odds are one of the factors that go into this rating. I've always thought this was unsound, and shied away for that reason. Scenario: I use their rating in conjunction with my own methodology...I decide to go heavy on their top rated horse at a small track, and it kills the odds--actually I don't bet heavy enough to kill the odds anywhere, but we're talking theoretically here. Do that enough times, and when they rerun the database, it causes them to tweak the algorithm, which causes my methodology to quit working.

That's how I see it anyway. I've broached the subject to them a couple of times with no response, so I don't use it.

cj
05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

If most people were using this, it would probably be an advantage to bet early.