PDA

View Full Version : Speed is the answer

John
05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I just got a booklet handicapping method. that goes back to the late 70's the title is "Speed is the answer." the publisher is "Advanced books. the method has a chart that gives ratings for the 1/2 mile call and the final 1/4. After eliminations there is a minus and plus point system that has to be applied.

Anyone have this and if you do is it worth the time. It looks like it would take hours to complete a days card. But it does have some good features.

Thanks
:) :) :)

ryesteve
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
If you want an honest reaction, your description makes it sound simplistic and worthless.

John
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
If you want an honest reaction, your description makes it sound simplistic and worthless.

thanks for your honest opinion. I think some guys on the board my have had this method years ago. Maybe Tom, or the older members.

Tom Barrister
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
There are many current programs that have these kind of ratings and which will crunch the numbers instantly for you. Spending a lot of time doing it manually seems like a waste. I suppose that you could have it programmed to read data files (i.e. Procaps) and do the computations.

My base feeling on it is that this is yet another reinvention of the wheel and won't offer anything new. Speed/pace charts have been around for ages, and even the ones that are correctly adjusted for deceleration (e.g. non-parallel) are commonplace. Most good programs use alogrithms that charts approximate.

I haven't read the booklet, but before spending any time with this, look to see that:

1) The charts are adjusted correctly for the different distances. A last quarter of 24-3 for a mile is much better than a last quarter of 24-3 for six furlongs.

2) The charts adjusts the pace and final fractions on a NON-parallel basis. In other words, a last quarter of 24 might translate to a last three-eighths of 36-3. A last quarter of 27 would show up as 39-3 on a parallel time chart (the same 12-3 last quarter), and this is NOT how it should be.

3) The charts are adjusted for surfaces. The pace and last fraction of turf races is vastly different than for dirt.

Overall, I'd say that you're wasting your time, but it's up to you.

John
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Barrister]There are many current programs that have these kind of ratings and which will crunch the numbers instantly for you. Spending a lot of time doing it manually seems like a waste. I suppose that you could have it programmed to read data files (i.e. Procaps) and do the computations.

Thank You Tom,You gave a pretty good view of the booklet without reading it.