PDA

View Full Version : Overlay Publications ???

tapout
05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Has anyone purchased and read any of the books they advertise ? They offer three publications "Overlay Handicapping","Handicapping Outside the Curve",and"The Ten Up,Fourteen-Down Odds-Line Method". I got the web address from a posting on PA.I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback.This appears to be a value based method.ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Tom
05-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Good stufff, I recommend. Overlay posts here and will probably chime in.
He uses a lot of Bill Quirrin ideas, IV's, etc, and is a good writer, so the read is enjoyable. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

jcrabboy
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I have Overlay Handicapping and Handicapping Outside The Curve. They are both value oriented and easy to implement. Overlay Handicapping actually involves creating a betting line. Good info and a good read.

Jimmie

dav4463
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Overlay Handicapping is outstanding. I use it in sprint races and added a little twist (two little twists actually) of my own that helps me a lot.

tapout
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Dave

Any chance of your sharing your little twists ?

timtam
05-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I have the 3 publications if you want to drop me a line. I actually bought

them from someone on the board a few years ago and I'm not using them

anymore.

Overlay
05-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Overlay posts here and will probably chime in.

You rang? :)

Thanks for the gratifying comments, guys. Much appreciated.

acorn54
05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I have the 3 publications if you want to drop me a line. I actually bought

them from someone on the board a few years ago and I'm not using them

anymore.
so that begs the question, why aren't you using them anymore?

timtam
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
It is just a matter of something suddenly has come up rephrasing a

Marcia Brady quote. For me its just a matter of time and actually you

have to have a math type approach to handicapping because it involves

using impact values and figuring speed points. It is a little more math than

either I can handle or want to but the entire "works" are there for anyone

wishing to pursue this approach to handicapping.

acorn54
05-23-2008, 02:53 AM
does this methodology involve multiplying various impact values of various independent variables?

Overlay
05-23-2008, 03:48 AM
does this methodology involve multiplying various impact values of various independent variables?

In a word, yes (independent, and also weighted with respect to distance and running surface). (Plus, configured in a variety of differing (but valid) manners to accommodate the handicapper's individual situation with regard to available time, preference for detail, and/or wagering style (full-field, spot-play, or exotic).

acorn54
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Good stufff, I recommend. Overlay posts here and will probably chime in.
He uses a lot of Bill Quirrin ideas, IV's, etc, and is a good writer, so the read is enjoyable. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

actually quirin got his idea of impact values research from fred davis. fred davis was the originator of multiplying impact values of independent variables to come up with probabilities.

Tom
05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Not go too far OT, but I still use a couple of those IV's from Davis. The one about adding the best 2 first call postions at today's distance or shorter. The beaten half the field in the last 30 days is still a staple of my form analysis.

shoelessjoe
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Tom,Sounds a little like what Bill Olmstead wrote in his book The Lone Speed Method.He suggests adding up the running position at the 2nd call and get an average.Jeff