05-19-2008, 10:02 AM
After watching tvg for the past five years, it is my opinion that matt
carothers towers over the rest of this staff like big brown dominates
this years three year olds. Mr B has never met a favorite he doesnt like,
Todd can only repeat what he reads in the racing form, rich is just
boring and the rest are out to lunch.

Fingal
05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
And watching this past Sunday's :58 Flat at Hollywood Park, where else are you going to see a guy stick his head in a bucket of Ice ?:lol:

onefast99
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I think if they add Frank m to Matt for an hour show you will have a great show. Matt is the most talented of the bunch Frank M is the funniest and honest.

eastie
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Brian Cox was pretty funny when he was on. He had kind of a simple approach to it, but his horses always ran, even if it wasn't why he said they would. Matt at least has an opinion and usually a little sound reasoning behind it.

BombsAway Bob
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
did anyone catch the off-air reaction of Todd, Nick, & Frank watching Saturday's Preakness? TVG left the cameras rolling, ala Ken/Giacomo in the Derby. Fantastic stuff, "F****n Unbelievable!" Felt like I was back at the OTB parlor..

ryesteve
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Felt like I was back at the OTB parlor..
You mean every guy in the room was rooting home the winning exacta? :D

BombsAway Bob
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
You mean every guy in the room was rooting home the winning exacta? :D
..and half the crowd is cheering the wrong horse home!

Marshall Bennett
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Matt's a good actor . :cool:

llegend39
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM
MAtt and his dad hit the late pick 4 on Saturday at Hollywood for over $31000

asH
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
he all'ed a leg and caught the $100 horse, that's gamblin' not handicapping, he probably spent 30K leading up to this race. Thats his style go for the home run, every at bat.

Imriledup
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
MAtt and his dad hit the late pick 4 on Saturday at Hollywood for over $31000

Was that a ticket he gave out on TVG?

toetoe
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
asH,

Far be it from me to defend the guy, but good for him.

Now if, as you say, he spreads WAY too much every night, no way will he make money over a season. I just don't know how he and Pops are operating.

onefast99
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
asH,

Far be it from me to defend the guy, but good for him.

Now if, as you say, he spreads WAY too much every night, no way will he make money over a season. I just don't know how he and Pops are operating.
Remember he has to handicap a heck of a lot more horses then anyone on this forum that is an average or even above average player. I dont know his win % but it has to be one of the best on TVG if not the best.

JustRalph
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM

no. I was watching and I think the ticket he posted died in the third leg.

He did hit the all button in the leg with the $131 dollar horse.

toetoe
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
1F99,

%-age is a useless stat. Tell me he gets a return of $2.01, or even $1.90-plus, and I will applaud. If that's what you meant ... oops. :blush:

FlyinLate
05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
My opinions have changed throughout the last year or so with TVG.

Matt-May not always have winners, but does have some very good streaks. The best thing about Matt is his need to beat the favorite. Sure he may win less often than the others, but atleast when he does it's not $1.20 profit on a horse. He is also more entertaining than most.

Simon-This one is my biggest change. I couldn't stand him and thought his selection methods were awful. He has managed to prove me wrong on a couple of instances and I am starting to give him some respect.

Ken-I don't really have anything positive to say about Ken. His picks are awful and sometimes I feel as if he just bets names, maybe thats why he doesnt earn the checkmark. He can be a descent host, but it annoys the shit out of me when he just argues with the others on every selection.

Nick-Good picks, fairly entertaining. Nothing to complain about here, respect his opinion on selections and have even played a Pick 3 or two of his.

Todd-Entertaining. Possibly the worst handicapper there though. I don't think I've ever seen him cash a Pick 4. I respect how he does stay away from the chalk on occasion though.

Mr. B-Please for the love of God get rid of this guy. He reminds me of half of the people at the local OTB who just bet the chalk every race and get all excited when they catch their $60 Pick 4 where they played a $50 ticket. Besides playing chalk he could put me too sleep with how boring he is.

Rich-I give Rich alot of respect. I like the fact that he uses different angles and communicates with the public (may be more his show than just him, but still). He tends to have a good deal of winners and have seen him cash a good deal of tickets, does bet slightly chalky though.

asH
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
No disrespect to the guy, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but the best at what?

Before Keeneland his analysis, picks , were horrible. After his recent pk 4 hit, I realized his handicapping style;coupled with his on air analysis, mostly general- speed and fade, cutting back...I am one of those who would turn down the sound.. other than his general commentary, all else is filler. ..his on air tickets are usually higher than the others; I believe he uses to many horses in a lot of situations.....but, if thats how he wins, cant knock it.... his kind of handicapping analysis offers little for the viewing audience...he proves it everyday

Wickel
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Spot on post, Ash. I agree 100 percent. MC doesn't add one iota of "value," so to speak, to viewers of TVG. And all this nonsense about his racing acumen. He's basically an early speed handicapper--no matter what the track is playing like. His analysis of the race is dead wrong the majority of the time. The horses he says will grab an early lead are nowhere early on. His scenarios for closers are way off. He doesn't understand the concept of a sprinter stretching out to a distance showing more early speed. When you get right down to it, he's a surface handicapper.

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Matt's entertaining to watch & listen to , you get into trouble when you begin to take him seriously . When he post a pick 6 ticket , pretend its a bad joke .

Bruddah
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
The whole crew at TVG. Take'um out behind the barn and put'um down. They are the lamest group of on air personalities anywhere. If TVG won't do this then at least Scratch them from the line up and put in another group. JMHO :ThmbDown:

Hajck Hillstrom
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
The whole crew at TVG. Take'um out behind the barn and put'um down. They are the lamest group of on air personalities anywhere. If TVG won't do this then at least Scratch them from the line up and put in another group. JMHO :ThmbDown:Interesting perspective...

I would venture to say that there are few that watch more TVG than I, so this qualifies me as somewhat of a self-proclaimed expert on the subject, and as euthanasia might be somewhat harsh, I have opted for another solution.... I have canceled my subscription to TVG.

It essentially comes down to acceptable content and the realization that more and more filters are needed all the time to endure some of the programming.

Perhaps it comes down to the fact; Is TVG programming a news or entertainment product ..... or merely a platform to shill for its ADW site.

I could point fingers at the problem and embrace the substance, but suffice it to say that the decision to cancel my subscription to the network could be perceived as a red flag by some, but won't be.

BombsAway Bob
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Hajck, say it ain't so!?!-
Your witty and informative E-mail contributions to TVG are a constant source of enjoyment! Where will Nancy get her Stud-Finders?!-bob

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes, I must say I am also taken aback by HH's decision to get rid of TVG...if it would please the court, could we hear a bit more detail about how HH came to this surprising decision?

bigmack
05-21-2008, 01:26 AM
a platform to shill for its ADW site.
That's reason enough for me. On the other hand, I rarely hear what they're saying.

Tough work, this handicapping. Unnecessary chin-waggin' gets in the way.

These aren't people that can help. They're a dalliance.

Work on your game and mute the lot of 'em.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2008, 01:38 AM
The TVG channel was created precisely to promote the ADW. That's how they stay in business. I'm not sure how or why anyone would look at this entity any other way. The channel EXISTS to promote the ADW. It always has.

Tom
05-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes it does, which means it doesn't serve my needs. I don't drop my subscription because it is part of the same package that gives me HRTV, a far superior product, IMHO that is geared towards horseplayers. Basically, I think TVG sucks big time and seldom watch it. I think you can promote your ADW without being that bad on a regular basis. I don't think you promtoe it by showing tape delays so you can feature assinine people mamking arses of themselves.
Actually, TVG has driven me away from track TVG covers and I now look at what HTRV is covering.

How much would I pay to get TVG if I had to? $0.

But hey, that's just me.

eastie
05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
The TVG channel was created precisely to promote the ADW. That's how they stay in business. I'm not sure how or why anyone would look at this entity any other way. The channel EXISTS to promote the ADW. It always has.

well how come so many people are able to access TVG? I can't even get HRTV unless i get dish network. If TVG exists to promote the ADW why don't the other ADW's get their own channel and improve things. HRTV is as boring as watching paint dry, at least TVG has some appeal. I still have to go the track to find out what the soup of the day is at Fair Grounds..

llegend39
05-21-2008, 09:00 AM
No his on air ticket missed the third leg He got a phone call from his dad when he got home,not realizing they had hit.

Light
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I can handle the $5 a month it costs me to have TVG. But who would use it for serious handicapping? Its pure entertainment as is this board.

richrosa
05-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I can handle the $5 a month it costs me to have TVG. But who would use it for serious handicapping? Its pure entertainment as is this board.

very interesting perspective!!

Hajck Hillstrom
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, I must say I am also taken aback by HH's decision to get rid of TVG...if it would please the court, could we hear a bit more detail about how HH came to this surprising decision?Perhaps it is a just case of familiarity breeding contempt, but I honestly believe the content of the network has been slipping for some time now. There are those on the network that perform Yoeman's work and have maintained a high degree of professionalism over the years. Gary Seibel, Rich Perloff, Jill Byrne, Simon Bray & Frank Miramahdi consistently demonstrate perspectives I find useful, as do Mike Joyce and Dave Weaver, and their insights will be missed.

Maybe I just need a break from the network. I've found the personal interjections by certain on-air personalities more and more annoying as of late. A sabatical, at the very least, is definitely needed. I need to rechannel my energies toward more productive projects and focus on useful handicapping information. The effort by the network to entertain has resulted in the exact opposite impact, but as I don't use their ADW platform, my perspective doesn't ultimately matter.

Maybe I'll resubscribe for the Saratoga/Del Mar meetings, or maybe I'll just attend those meetings and resubscribe for OakTree and Keeneland.

It isn't my intention to disparage the network, as I truly admire the passion and dedication by nearly all of the on-air staff, and producer Josh Abelson, but let's address the thread topic.

Personally, I genuinely like Matt Carothers, and agree with Andy Beyer's assessment that he is "diligent and articulate." He always comes prepared and though his insights are often flawed... who's aren't? That is the very nature of the game. I just find his whining and feeble attempts at humor slightly more than offputting at times, and his constant interuptions of whomever he is talking to demonstrates a position I've never been comfortable with. I don't enjoy picking him apart, as there are those on the network that truly need to be taken on the carpet, and Matt Carothers definitely brings more to the table than most.

It is what I deem the "Jim Rome Syndrome." Jim Rome definitely makes salient points, but the simple truth is that I just can't watch or listen to him. There are a few on the network that fall into this category for me.

That being said, I genuinely enjoy the interactive format of the network, and respect many of the on-air staff not mentioned personally. In truth, the problem is probably more mine than theirs. Now, if someone develops a voice activated mute button, please contact me. ;)

OTM Al
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
That's the way I feel too and if I could get HRTV I'd pay a couple bucks extra for that too. Somedays I'll just put it on and just watch races. Just enjoy watching them run and don't need to bet a race to enjoy watching it.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Hajck, say it ain't so!?!- Where will Nancy get her Stud-Finders?!Bob, the torch has been passed. Your light will now burn brighter.... and does Nancy really need a Stud-Finder or does she merely need to find a Stud?

Truth be told, I grow weary of being beaten to the punch by the MassMadMan. :D

Bruddah
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
An Amen Bruddah from this section of the Peanut Gallery. ;)

The remote would work on the the keywords, SHAD UP!

Perhaps it is a just case of familiarity breeding contempt, but I honestly believe the content of the network has been slipping for some time now. There are those on the network that perform Yoeman's work and have maintained a high degree of professionalism over the years. Gary Seibel, Rich Perloff, Jill Byrne, Simon Bray & Frank Miramahdi consistently demonstrate perspectives I find useful, as do Mike Joyce and Dave Weaver, and their insights will be missed.

Maybe I just need a break from the network. I've found the personal interjections by certain on-air personalities more and more annoying as of late. A sabatical, at the very least, is definitely needed. I need to rechannel my energies toward more productive projects and focus on useful handicapping information. The effort by the network to entertain has resulted in the exact opposite impact, but as I don't use their ADW platform, my perspective doesn't ultimately matter.

Maybe I'll resubscribe for the Saratoga/Del Mar meetings, or maybe I'll just attend those meetings and resubscribe for OakTree and Keeneland.

It isn't my intention to disparage the network, as I truly admire the passion and dedication by nearly all of the on-air staff, and producer Josh Abelson, but let's address the thread topic.

Personally, I genuinely like Matt Carothers, and agree with Andy Beyer's assessment that he is "diligent and articulate." He always comes prepared and though his insights are often flawed... who's aren't? That is the very nature of the game. I just find his whining and feeble attempts at humor slightly more than offputting at times, and his constant interuptions of whomever he is talking to demonstrates a position I've never been comfortable with. I don't enjoy picking him apart, as there are those on the network that truly need to be taken on the carpet, and Matt Carothers definitely brings more to the table than most.

It is what I deem the "Jim Rome Syndrome." Jim Rome definitely makes salient points, but the simple truth is that I just can't watch or listen to him. There are a few on the network that fall into this category for me.

That being said, I genuinely enjoy the interactive format of the network, and respect many of the on-air staff not mentioned personally. In truth, the problem is probably more mine than theirs. Now, if someone develops a voice activated mute button, please contact me. ;)

The Hawk
05-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I can't believe so many of you guys actually listen to what they say on TVG. I've been watching it for years and love it, though that opinion might change if I had the volume up.

I use it to watch races, as opposed to watching those races on the computer. That's it. I suppose if I actually paid attention to how one of their virtual tickets was faring I'd feel differently, but as it stands I'm getting live horse races on my tv.

phatbastard
05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
i have long ignored MC'S picks...unless they match my own, but what really burns my ass is the Blinkers Off program...1st it is too short..compounded by Matt trying to get all the face time...i see him all damn week, Watchmaker is deserving of a majority of the time...i really like his opinions and his rants are classic......need more of the insider and less of midget brushing his hair out of his eyes........

have been a fan of Rich Perloff since his days as selector on Delmar website under name of IAGO....very knowledgeable on breeding and he explains his selections

Weaver is cool as he definitely shoves the money thru the windows

samyn on the green
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
When TVG goes belly up and you have to watch the races on a grainy computer monitor all by yourself with nothing but your thoughts, your ripped tickets and your computerized speed figures you are going to miss TVG. I think it is really great that racing has its own channel, frankly if if these two networks did not exist I would not watch TV or subscribe to sat/cable.

Sure some of the TVG hosts are not compelling personalities, one or two of them are annoying, perhaps very annoying. However, do you know a place where horseplayers are happy of the time? Or a horseplayer that is right all the time? So is no way TVG producers are going to find hosts that crush one pick 4 after another. These people are just on there for entertainment purposes I do not consider their work when making wagers.

Do you really expect them to have a positive rep with the horseplayer nation? With all of the ripped tickets there is going to be a large lot of angst amongst horseplayers and the TVG hosts are in a position to be the target of that angst. That is why there is a weekly thread bashing them for the last few years. Take TVG out of the mix and horseracing's presence on the national scene is closer to dog racing or Jai Alai than baseball or football.

richrosa
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
When TVG goes belly up and you have to watch the races on a grainy computer monitor all by yourself with nothing but your thoughts, your ripped tickets and your computerized speed figures you are going to miss TVG. I think it is really great that racing has its own channel, frankly if if these two networks did not exist I would not watch TV or subscribe to sat/cable.

Sure some of the TVG hosts are not compelling personalities, one or two of them are annoying, perhaps very annoying. However, do you know a place where horseplayers are happy of the time? Or a horseplayer that is right all the time? So is no way TVG producers are going to find hosts that crush one pick 4 after another. These people are just on there for entertainment purposes I do not consider their work when making wagers.

Do you really expect them to have a positive rep with the horseplayer nation? With all of the ripped tickets there is going to be a large lot of angst amongst horseplayers and the TVG hosts are in a position to be the target of that angst. That is why there is a weekly thread bashing them for the last few years. Take TVG out of the mix and horseracing's presence on the national scene is closer to dog racing or Jai Alai than baseball or football.

Exactly!! Spot on. This weekly bash thread is boring. Like you said, when TVG is gone the same cats will complain about how no one cares about them.

KingChas
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Exactly!! Spot on. This weekly bash thread is boring.

2nd the motion.Next up on the weekly agenda will be the DRF bashing again.

Some need to look in the mirror and question themselves,
"do I really like anything about horseracing?".

Perhaps a career or hobby change is in order for some. :bang:

eastie
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
thye should simulcast the handicapping seminar live from Siro's. When TLG is on, everyone stops doing what they're doing for that half hour. It is time well spent. If he were one of the hosts on TVG, he'd staighten those guys out quickly. It is refreshing to hear someone who is not full of shitt and who tells it like it is.

Pace Cap'n
05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
How anyone with a volume control button could bash either of the racing networks is beyond me.

Tom
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Exactly!! Spot on. This weekly bash thread is boring. Like you said, when TVG is gone the same cats will complain about how no one cares about them.

But the weekly pat on the back thread is fine?:rolleyes:

phatbastard
05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
but i must confess....life without TVG would be very boring.....still miss Exactorman show, light side and some ''tool box'' capping

Light
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
They actually do have some interesting things.Their "backtracks" are sometimes illuminating. I first learned about Casino Drive and the owners intentions through them .They are good about explaining how strong imports are,especially Simon and Frank as well as backrounds on firsters. I do like their interviews with trainers so I can put a face on those guys.It can be very revealing to hear a trainer's behind the scenes reasons for winning or losing or entering a horse in a particular spot that goes beyond the form.But still,I dont use any of that information on a race day as I watch for entertainment only or to see races on TV instead of a computer. So I do get something for my $5 a month.But yes,there are times I have to use the mute button.

Marshall Bennett
05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I flip back and forth between TVG and HRTV depending on which races they're covering . I get annoyed from time to time but sure beats nothing at all .

JBmadera
05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
After being laid up (well, locked up) for a looong time watching ANYTHING regarding horse racing on TV is cool. If it were up to me I would go for more of the “easy on the eyes” approach than the Mr. B “I’m as old as dirt and I love the 3-5 favorite, again” approach. Tuesday it looked like Nancy rolled right out of bed into the Handicapsule.

JB

richrosa
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
But the weekly pat on the back thread is fine?:rolleyes:

I'm all for you becoming a producer for the next horse racing channel.

Tom
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Depends on the perks.
I don't work cheap. ;)

BombsAway Bob
05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
thye should simulcast the handicapping seminar live from Siro's. When TLG is on, everyone stops doing what they're doing for that half hour. It is time well spent. If he were one of the hosts on TVG, he'd staighten those guys out quickly. It is refreshing to hear someone who is not full of shitt and who tells it like it is.
You can catch SIROS Seminars via streaming audio(& video when it works)online @ www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com) during the meet

Kelso
05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm all for you becoming a producer for the next horse racing channel.

Depends on the perks.
I don't work cheap. ;)I'll take the job. I don't work at all! :lol:

Trax21
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Matt's fine with me. I do like Blinker's Off with Watchmaker and agree with phat that it's too short. Didn't see the "head in ice bucket" stunt on 58 flat.

I don't use their picks so I really have no idea how well they do but I can't imagine having to constantly produce pick 3's and pick 4's at multiple tracks.

I'm damn glad to have horse racing on TV and I usually have both networks on side by side with PIP.

And for those of you who can't get enough of TVG, here's a YouTube link to the TVG guys watching the Preakness off-air (mentioned by BombsawayBob earlier): TVG Preak-Freak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVWJo52boo)

InsideThePylons-MW
05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Let's remove all doubt that Matt C. is a dolt..........

Opening day Kee.....he gives out his super hi-5 ticket for the viewers to play

4/7811/7811/679/679

WTF is that? Now if the ticket structure isn't the dumbest thing you've ever seen, he tops it by saying this ticket costs $81. He obviously tried to figure out the cost of the ticket as if it was a p-5 instead of the $20 that the ticket actually costs. Great job giving out a bet you can't comprehend or figure out what it costs.

On the nest day, his got the price of his ticket right but the structure was even more ridiculous.......

236/236/23567/569/569

Are you kidding me? Even the other dolts on air were questioning his sanity.

Trax21
05-23-2008, 03:34 PM

4/7811/7811/679/679

WTF is that? Now if the ticket structure isn't the dumbest thing you've ever seen, he tops it by saying this ticket costs $81. He obviously tried to figure out the cost of the ticket as if it was a p-5 instead of the $20 that the ticket actually costs. Great job giving out a bet you can't comprehend or figure out what it costs.

On the nest day, his got the price of his ticket right but the structure was even more ridiculous.......

236/236/23567/569/569

Is that 23567 in the third spot suppose to be a 23569? Is that a typo? Just checking for clarity.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Is that 23567 in the third spot suppose to be a 23569? Is that a typo? Just checking for clarity.

No......23567 WAS his 3rd spot.

Valuist
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM

4/7811/7811/679/679

236/236/23567/569/569

What is so difficult to comprehend? He probably singled a big favorite and wanted to get longshots in the 4th and 5th slots because it wouldn't be worthwhile without the prices.