larman
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
After reading a story about Rick Dutrow in newsday I have becoma a huge
Dutrow fan. How many people realize that only ten years ago after the
murder of his wife Dutrow was disowned by most of his own family
and was sleeping in a stall at Belmont? What A comeback!!!!!!!!!!1

mannyberrios
05-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Me too! me too. Great story! I will back anybody that can come back from that.

Imriledup
05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I think that NBC wanted to turn this into a 'feelgood' story. Dutrow was almost 'proud' of the stuff he 'used to do'. Almost as if it makes him 'cool' that he was a rebel back in the day.

Also, and i know that steroids are legal, but that still doesnt' mean you have to use them. Your moral judgment ought to override this legal vs non legal issue.

JustRalph
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Did you not hear the nature of the killing when NBC aired the piece?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2008-05-01-big-brown_N.htm

They were not married.

From USA Today.

It's a sign of how far Dutrow has come since those difficult days in the barn at Aqueduct.

"I was living fast," he recalls. "I got myself involved in all sorts of nickel-and-dime scrapes. I would get myself into trouble with marijuana and cocaine. … I just hurt myself."

During that time, he had a relationship with Sheryl Toyloy, a woman in Schenectady. They had a daughter, Catherine, who was in a nearby room when three robbers broke into a home where she and her mother were staying. Court testimony indicated that one of those convicted in the case knew there was a safe in the house because he often went there to sell cocaine to Toyloy.

Toyloy was beaten and suffocated. Two of the attackers were sentenced to more than 70 years in prison; the third received a seven-year sentence as part of a plea bargain in which he testified against the others.

"I cried for a week. I liked the girl. She didn't belong going like that," Dutrow says of Toyloy, who was 29 when she was killed. "They beat her up really bad, and Molly (the name he and his family use for Catherine) was in the other room."

You can make a hero out of him if you want................not me. I notice they say that "she" was buying the cocaine. Take what you want from that. She or them, either one brought down a "drug related killing" to the home. Plays out every night in every decent sized city in America. But these people are not worthy of hero worship. I don't care what he has done on the track since. They/she had a two year old in the house and were conducting business with drug dealers in the house.

SmartyMarty
05-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Also, and i know that steroids are legal, but that still doesnt' mean you have to use them. Your moral judgment ought to override this legal vs non legal issue.

snap out of it pal..

get a dose of reality and wise up..

Track Phantom
05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Did you not hear the nature of the killing when NBC aired the piece?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2008-05-01-big-brown_N.htm

They were not married.

From USA Today.

It's a sign of how far Dutrow has come since those difficult days in the barn at Aqueduct.

"I was living fast," he recalls. "I got myself involved in all sorts of nickel-and-dime scrapes. I would get myself into trouble with marijuana and cocaine. … I just hurt myself."

During that time, he had a relationship with Sheryl Toyloy, a woman in Schenectady. They had a daughter, Catherine, who was in a nearby room when three robbers broke into a home where she and her mother were staying. Court testimony indicated that one of those convicted in the case knew there was a safe in the house because he often went there to sell cocaine to Toyloy.

Toyloy was beaten and suffocated. Two of the attackers were sentenced to more than 70 years in prison; the third received a seven-year sentence as part of a plea bargain in which he testified against the others.

"I cried for a week. I liked the girl. She didn't belong going like that," Dutrow says of Toyloy, who was 29 when she was killed. "They beat her up really bad, and Molly (the name he and his family use for Catherine) was in the other room."

You can make a hero out of him if you want................not me. I notice they say that "she" was buying the cocaine. Take what you want from that. She or them, either one brought down a "drug related killing" to the home. Plays out every night in every decent sized city in America. But these people are not worthy of hero worship. I don't care what he has done on the track since. They/she had a two year old in the house and were conducting business with drug dealers in the house.

Couldn't agree more. He's nothing more than your average loser. He just happens to be around horses, as well. Would like to know why his family disowned him.... Seems they may know him best and made a decision that he is not worth keeping in the family circle.

Mark my words, a guy like this, with his past, will absolutely blow this chance and do something to take him back out of his current "fame".

Tom Barrister
05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
I watched him on NBC yesterday, and he came across as a cocky, arrogant git. The word "amazing" only comes to mind to describe the fact that he's still allowed in racing today after all of his antics, plus his horses testing positive and the admitted steroid use, legal or not.

Maybe NBC can air a "feel bad" story about a horseman who went the opposite way. One who comes to mind is Ronnie Franklin, the jockey of Spectacular Bid, who was on top of the world after the Preakness of 1979 and who is an exerciser now (last I heard) for a training center in Louisiana.

Or how about a a "feel stupid" story? One candidate might be Pat Valenzuela, the jockey who's managed to blow almost a dozen second-chances.

Shenanigans
05-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I got the same impression of the guy - arrogant and full of himself. He reminds me of someone trying to be a tough guy from the Sopranos. His owners aren't much different IMO. They are trying so hard for that "mafioso" bravado.

magwell
05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I got the same impression of the guy - arrogant and full of himself. He reminds me of someone trying to be a tough guy from the Sopranos. His owners aren't much different IMO. They are trying so hard for that "mafioso" bravado. They speak kindly of you :rolleyes:

Burls
05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Dickey Dee kind of reminds me of a younger Larry Flint.
And it fits to think of him as the Larry Flint of horse racing.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/talkinhorses/images/rdutrow_large.jpg

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/kelly/Distance_Learning/Images_PS1/PS1_L02/flint.jpg

Shenanigans
05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
They speak kindly of you :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for the intellectual insight. It was very educating.... WTF??

JustRalph
05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Does anybody think that there aren't 50 other trainers out there that would be in the same place if they had Big Brown? I think this horse makes it easy. It is more about the horse I believe. And not the trainer. I don't know crap about being a trainer, and I admit it. But this horse seems to be well above average and pretty damn smart. He seems to "get it" although managing the foot problems might be one area that Dutrow made a difference. I don't know enough to judge that. I give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

I will never see him as a hero or be Amazed at what he has done. I think there are lots of guys who could have been successful with this horse. He is an exceptional horse.

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2008, 02:56 AM
If I didn't know much about Dutrow, after watching his story on NBC, I'd be liking the guy a lot more as well....

I don't see how you get that he's cocky or arrogant based on just the NBC profiles. In fact, if it were just NBC profiles I was going on, I'd find Dutrow completely refreshing and down to Earth....a welcome change from the Lukas' and Pletchers of this world, with their cookie-cutter responses and sport team cliches.

Dutrow is actually interesting to listen to, which for this sport, is quite a change.

samyn on the green
05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
It don't know why Dutrow has so many chances in life, but someone upstairs is looking out for him. Why would he get so many chances from upsairs and who are we to disagree with the man upstairs?

Imriledup
05-19-2008, 08:21 AM
snap out of it pal..

get a dose of reality and wise up..

:lol:

Shenanigans
05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
It don't know why Dutrow has so many chances in life, but someone upstairs is looking out for him. Why would he get so many chances from upsairs and who are we to disagree with the man upstairs?

So you are saying "the man upstairs" is in favor of those who are successful? Say, like the guy in the second picture of Burl's post above? :lol: FYI, the man upstairs has more important things to be concerned about than who gets to win the Kentucky Derby. Like he cares. :lol:

samyn on the green
05-20-2008, 04:39 AM
So you are saying "the man upstairs" is in favor of those who are successful? Say, like the guy in the second picture of Burl's post above? :lol: FYI, the man upstairs has more important things to be concerned about than who gets to win the Kentucky Derby. Like he cares. :lol:Not true at all. FYI, as a matter of fact the man upstairs got down on Bog Brown himself in the last click knocking him down from 5-2 to 2-1. Horse racing is the man upstairs favorite sport, the next time you have some horrendous tough beat it aint bad luck, it is the man upstairs reminding you who is in charge.

ManeMediaMogul
05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Does anybody think that there aren't 50 other trainers out there that would be in the same place if they had Big Brown? I think this horse makes it easy. It is more about the horse I believe. And not the trainer. I don't know crap about being a trainer, and I admit it. But this horse seems to be well above average and pretty damn smart. He seems to "get it" although managing the foot problems might be one area that Dutrow made a difference. I don't know enough to judge that. I give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

I will never see him as a hero or be Amazed at what he has done. I think there are lots of guys who could have been successful with this horse. He is an exceptional horse.

An old trainer, "Bob" Sinne, who won a ton of races at Caliente and in Southern California, once told me, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit."

Gary Jones, who trained a ton of graded stakes winners, is fond of saying, "A loaded gun is dangerous in anybody's hand."

They were both right and so are you Ralph.

The rub is...Dutrow has done everything right with this horse...even staying out of his way. Most trainers would have been oh so tempted to work him out at some point between the Derby and the Preakness. Dutrow showed tremendous restraint, had a plan to blow out the morning of the race, stuck to it and won as easily as it could have ever been done.

The guy might not be an altar boy, he might be a bit of a blow hard, but he has handled this horse with aplomb.

"It's not bragging if you can do it."

magwell
05-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Does anybody know what # bb ran in preakness ??

Shenanigans
05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Not true at all. FYI, as a matter of fact the man upstairs got down on Bog Brown himself in the last click knocking him down from 5-2 to 2-1. Horse racing is the man upstairs favorite sport, the next time you have some horrendous tough beat it aint bad luck, it is the man upstairs reminding you who is in charge.

Cute.;) I'll have to remember that.:ThmbUp:

highnote
05-21-2008, 03:18 AM

I agree with you. Of course, I was raised by parents who were staunchly anti-drugs. Growing up in the 70's we heard about athletes using steroids to get an edge, but I could never justify taking the long term risks over the short term gains. Steroid user Schwarzenegger did OK for himself. But I will always have a negative bias towards him -- rightly or wrongly so.

Morality is in the mind of the beholder. Obviously, someone like Dutrow has a more liberal attitude toward drugs than me. I don't share the same morality, but that does not mean I'm right.

Maybe the trainer's licensing examination should include a section on ethics?

I don't know the correct answer to the following question, but I know how I would answer it when asked -- No.

If we don't know the long term effects of regular anabolic steroid use, is it ethical to administer them to race horses?

judd
05-21-2008, 06:17 AM
with a horse like big brown any trainer would become famous

highnote
05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
with a horse like big brown any trainer would become famous

I think it was Woody Stevens who said, "Get yourself a fast horse and you'll dine with kings."