PDA

View Full Version : An apology for Eastie

Grits
05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't go back to the thread with the photo of Eight Belles again, or I would add this there--rather than post in this way.

Eastie, I am sorry for my ugly post towards you. I apologize to you.

Like everyone, I deal with breakdowns as they come, and do the best I can. With this one, though, because of how its impacted the sport, and how much time I've had to spend in the last two weeks--defending horseracing I'm having a more difficult time than usual.

Eight Belles, is proving to be much larger in death than she ever was in life. And this will play out again today, on the national stage when Bob Costas and others conduct their roundtable discussion from Pimlico. I doubt, seriously, our sport will come off well.

Jeannine Edwards of ESPN had a lengthy feature, yesterday, that included the devastating photographs of EB, and tearful interviews with Rick Porter and Larry Jones. It was terribly sad.

Honestly, I find it unfair that her breakdown is garnering this level of coverage from the media. While in fact, the media does little to note the breakdown rate of 1.47 per 1000.

I snapped when I unsuspectingly clicked on your thread. Again, I am sorry.

I should have, simply, closed the thread and moved to something else.

ddog
05-17-2008, 10:32 PM
where is that breakdown rate from?

I am curious, I don't know it to be different , but I can tell you I have seen days where 3-4 horses broke down and many more than that didn't break down in the race, but after they cooled out well, let's say they didn't have a long life.

is that per starter or per race, i wonder?
does anyone have these stats for the last 20-30 years???

eastie
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
No worries, I don't hold grudges or root against anyone. We are both sad about Eight Belles.

Grits
05-17-2008, 11:37 PM
No worries, I don't hold grudges or root against anyone. We are both sad about Eight Belles.

Indeed. And today, as nervous as a cat, I held my breath when they all broke from the gate.

And then . . . . . .

when I saw Macho Again was holding second, man, I was one happy girl!!!!!!!!!!