PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on Jeff Mullins tonight?

JustRalph
05-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Anybody have a comment on Jeff Mullins pulling one over tonight?

Clinton Potts and Joanne Jones are probably celebrating with Mullins

MAGICHORSEMAN
05-17-2008, 02:10 AM
I think Jeff lied right through his teeth. He told the jock to simply just "win" with the first time starter. (In other words go easy on the very small first time starter).

Then he said he told Clinton Potts to be easy on his mount since he has not been out since Sept. "the horse may need a few races to get in shape" The horse- "Foul Play" came on the track with a glissening coat of hair and dapples showing. He was really in shape. Foul Play was the second fastest horse based on their last races. He was the second fastest early pace of the race.

The tvg staff had a good comment before the race. " Potts and Mullins are a 38% win percentage last year.

It kind of made Jeff look like a cheap trainer from where he used to train horses- Beulah Park.

pandy
05-17-2008, 02:11 AM

Before the race Mullins said that he didn't think the horse would be ready because he was returning from an injury and he didn't train him that hard, but he got a nice trip and it was a bad field.

Burls
05-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Clinton Potts and Joanne Jones are probably celebrating with MullinsAs I posted in the TGIF! racing with juan thread BEFORE the 6th race at HOL, I put a double bet to win on the 5, the Potts/Mullins horse.

But the angle that put it over the top for me was the jockey/trainer stats for Potts/Mullins:
......2007-2008 57 .30 $3.13
HOL 2007-2008 30 .37 $3.91.

At the same time, Ralph, I have to admit that, after the race, the thought that Mullins might have given the 5 a little 'jamba juice' before the race did cross my mind.
It's not like it would be the first time he ever did such a thing.

To add to it all, and you can't make this kind of irony up, the horse's name was 'Foul Play'.

CBedo
05-17-2008, 02:40 AM
I had keyed Foul Play in the Double, but honestlly didn't even look at the trainer angle. I just saw a gelding who was lightly raced at three and was coming off a long layoff. If he matured at all, I thought he would be more than competitive against this group. Usually this angle is better for me from two two three, but in some instances, three to four works as well.

Imriledup
05-17-2008, 03:06 AM

The 64 dollar question:
If Mullins came on and said, "my horse can't get beat, he's training as good as he's ever trained blah blah blah blah" And then the horse ran up the track with your money on his back, would you be equally as mad?

I didn't hear Mullins interview before this race, but i would caution any handicapper taking anything a trainer says with a grain of salt.

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2008, 10:42 AM
On the 2nd best- proves "bettors are idiots"!LOL!! Good for Jeff!!

lamboguy
05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
TVG and CNBC are in the same line of business, touting people on either stocks or horses. because so many people watch TVG do you think a trainer that is betting his money is going to tell you anything? its diferent if you have a trainer that doesn't head to the windows.

as far as the TVG picks go, they are oicks that come from some service like brisnet,or trackmaster. i laughed one day when i heard christina oliveres giving out harness picks along with nancy uri. all of a sudden at a ripe age of about 22 they have become expert harness handicappers. i have been trying for 50 years and still have no clue. one show i actually watched them give out 3 straight winners at buffalo raceway!

Fingal
05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
I think Jeff lied right through his teeth.

OK............. The horse paid 26.20 to win. If Mullins had painted another picture, I don't think that would have been the final odds & resulting price.

When everybody knows everything, it's useless.

JustRalph
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I think he lied thru his teeth too. I actually took him off my tickets, and was a little pissed. I should have known better. After all, it is Jeff Mullins?

Ron Mcanally made up for it for me today. Only the 2nd $100 dollar horse I have ever had.

lamboguy
05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
congradulations, those are nice hits.....i had $3 wps on 16-1 winner today @ indiana after my $100 exacta loss on big brown and kentucky bear. i got by cheap today, i blew $1600 on pyro in the derby!

ezpace
05-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Mullins entries we're big steam in NE,IA,and Cicero ;) today

and btw what kind of juice was that you mentioned?? ;)

lol