PDA

View Full Version : Times Commentary on Racing

garyoz
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/sports/othersports/15vecsey.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

For all that, I do not detect any great commitment from this fragmented industry to engineer thoroughbreds back toward safety. It’s not enough for us to be sentimental about beautiful animals grazing in a meadow. The museum depicts how humankind has become the steward of horses. I’d like to think we would not treat them casually. The alternative is banning this spectacle. It’s not unthinkable.

I'm no fan of the NY Times. George Vecsey is an old time writer--I suspect he was a junior writer back in the days of Red Smith, and I do respect him. The above link is about a new exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History about horses and the connection to the modern horse.

As a 40 year-plus fan of horse racing--I have to agree--it's not unthinkable to ban the spectacle of horse racing. The industry is in a sorry state, and Vecsey doesn't even get into the dirty little secret of super trainers and their techniques.