PDA

View Full Version : REAL SPORTS.. Bryant Gumble does'nt go after racing

HolyBull29
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Some people did not get it at all I guess. The piece was not about racing as a whole and it just selling off all horses for death..

The piece is why SOME do OWNERS and TRAINERS kill off horses for VERY little money when they ALL know about retirement foundations and homes for these horses??????

Why did R. Preciado and LA Buzz stable sell off Little Cliff for $200 or so when Nick Zitos wife clearly filled out retirement papers and all the info needed on his JOCKEY CLUB papers which Preaciado and LA Buzz stables KNEW about????

Are people defending the owners and trainers who practice this?

Oh I get it..it's better to make $100 to $200 dollars on the horses head instead of donating it because you make zero dollars donating.

All I can say is WOW.

Living Flame
05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Mmm...Here is something even more bizarre: With most horses, you could make a hell of a lot more money selling 'em to horse people than you can selling them to slaughter.

It's not like the majority of those horses - of all breeds - are elderly, broken down, and good for nothing except as pets or barely ridable mounts. They just can't run very fast!

Most would make pretty decent sport horses, police horses, lesson horses, etc. And you can make decent money selling a horse with that kind of potential. So why sell them to slaughter and make hardly any money? Laziness? The joy of killing?

And for the old, broken down ones...There are probably nice tax incentives for donating a horse to a worthy cause! *shrugs*

It makes absolutely no sense, from a humane standpoint or a financial standpoint.:mad:

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Why did R. Preciado and LA Buzz stable sell off Little Cliff for $200 or so when Nick Zitos wife clearly filled out retirement papers and all the info needed on his JOCKEY CLUB papers which Preaciado and LA Buzz stables KNEW about????That is an EXCELLENT question. I have heard Nick Zito's wife is very active in the racehorse retirement community, so I was a little shocked when I saw Little Cliff was about two steps away from ending up on somebody's dinner plate in France....

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
The piece was not about racing as a whole and it just selling off all horses for death..I watched the entire piece. It was VERY MUCH about the slaughter of ex-RACE HORSES. Not horses in general, but THOROUGHBRED race horses. That's all the piece talked about....even though you could clearly see that many of the horses pictured in the videos shown were NOT Thoroughbreds.

Shenanigans
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Mmm...Here is something even more bizarre: With most horses, you could make a hell of a lot more money selling 'em to horse people than you can selling them to slaughter.

It's not like the majority of those horses - of all breeds - are elderly, broken down, and good for nothing except as pets or barely ridable mounts. They just can't run very fast!

Most would make pretty decent sport horses, police horses, lesson horses, etc. And you can make decent money selling a horse with that kind of potential. So why sell them to slaughter and make hardly any money? Laziness? The joy of killing?

And for the old, broken down ones...There are probably nice tax incentives for donating a horse to a worthy cause! *shrugs*

It makes absolutely no sense, from a humane standpoint or a financial standpoint.:mad:

Have you been to the horses sales lately? With the rising cost of gas, grain and hay, horses are bringing as little as $50. Good riding horses are selling for $250. There aren't too many people out there that want to spend $200 on an OTTB that they have to re-break, when they can spend an extra $50 on a well broke horse.