PDA

View Full Version : Refunds given?

whyhorseofcourse
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I ment to post this earlier but I forgot too. Final race at retama on 5/9/08. The 5 horse (post time favorite) gate didnt open on time. The horses gate opened maybe 1/2 second later then the others. I tryed to find a replay but could not. There was no refunds given. Anyone see the race or have opinions on it? Can anyone find a replay and link me too it?

IMHO the fact that no refunds were given makes me not want to bet retama ever again.

46zilzal
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I would write to them. The rules of racing dictate a fair start. Now if the horse just stood there when the gate opened, too bad.

jotb
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Queen of Los Almos was the horse. He broke slow and yes the gate opened late. You can find the replay at Cal Racing by looking up the horse. I think even with a clean break horse would not have won.

Joe

Tom Barrister
05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I quit betting at Texas tracks about six years ago, when I got tired of watching the odds on the winner going down 30 seconds after said winner crossed the line, mainly at Sam Houston. What you described doesn't surprise me in the least.

ryesteve
05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow... this was really blatant. The horse was 8/5... how is it there wasn't a full-scale riot?

Cangamble
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I just watched the the race. The horse was queen of Los Olmos for those looking it up on Cal racing.

The gate definitely opened late. How could the Stews let that happen. I don't understand how they still have jobs.

whyhorseofcourse
05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
The inquiry sign went up.
And soon after went down.
I went to cash my ticket and I got the old "this ticket is not a winner".
Thanks for the info on the replay. I had the horse for second and third in the tris and supers but still figured I would get some of my money back.

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Wow... this was really blatant. The horse was 8/5... how is it there wasn't a full-scale riot?

There were only the 4 people at the track that day. :lol:

v j stauffer
05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Was it a quarter horse race?

ezrabrooks
05-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Was it a quarter horse race?

Yes

ryesteve
05-14-2008, 08:39 PM
There were only the 4 people at the track that day. :lol:
Seriously, I had the exact same thought... but according the charts, they had more than enough people there to raise a serious ruckus. Heck, I wish Belmont could draw as many people on a weekday...

trying2win
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
WHYHORSEOFCOURSE:

I just watched the replay of the RETAMA PARK race in question. In my opinion, after watching the HEAD ON REPLAY from two different aspects...i.e. the general replay in full...and then starting the HEAD ON replay and pausing the video right after the start, I could see the Number 5 gate was still closed after the other horses got out at the start. In my opinion, you got RIPPED OFF!

Don't be a milquetoast and wring your hands, and just suffer your frustration in silence.and say "Oh well, there's nothing I can do". If that happened to me, I'd take positive action and do these three things:

1.Send an email to RETAMA PARK through their CONTACT PAGE (it's under the 'ABOUT US' menu), and address it to the RACING MANAGER and register my complaint. Hopefully he'd watch the video and then 'rake the stewards over the coals' (verbally of course).

2. Then I'd send an email to the editor of a local newspaper in Selma, Texas
and publically embarrass the RETAMA PARK stewards with my criticism of their negligence, indifference, and failure to act in the public's interest in the fairness and integrity of the game of horse racing, after that race in question.

3. I'd file a report at the great consumer website www.ripoffreport.com (http://www.ripoffreport.com/) and publically embarrass the RETAMA PARK stewards some more.

--What I'd be doing there is exercising my right to freedom of speech and doing what RIGHT, not the POLITICALLY-CORRECT way that a lot of people do by saying or doing nothing because they fear it's not nice to criticize someone else, because they it might hurt their feelings, or those folks might criticize me back.

--If some racetrack employees so something right, contact the track's GENERAL MANAGER and give him or her some positive feedback too when their employees deserve it.

T2W

trying2win
05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Regarding the RETAMA PARK race in question in this thread. It hurt the number 5 horse's chances in two big ways:

1. THE DELAY IN THE GATE OPENING.

2. IT WAS A SHORT QUARTER HORSE RACE.

T2W

Dave Schwartz
05-14-2008, 09:43 PM
T2W,

Good post.

Dave

Rackon
05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
WHYHORSEOFCOURSE:

I just watched the replay of the RETAMA PARK race in question. In my opinion, after watching the HEAD ON REPLAY from two different aspects...i.e. the general replay in full...and then starting the HEAD ON replay and pausing the video right after the start, I could see the Number 5 gate was still closed after the other horses got out at the start. In my opinion, you got RIPPED OFF!

Don't be a milquetoast and wring your hands, and just suffer your frustration in silence.and say "Oh well, there's nothing I can do". If that happened to me, I'd take positive action and do these three things:

1.Send an email to RETAMA PARK through their CONTACT PAGE (it's under the 'ABOUT US' menu), and address it to the RACING MANAGER and register my complaint. Hopefully he'd watch the video and then 'rake the stewards over the coals' (verbally of course).

2. Then I'd send an email to the editor of a local newspaper in Selma, Texas
and publically embarrass the RETAMA PARK stewards with my criticism of their negligence, indifference, and failure to act in the public's interest in the fairness and integrity of the game of horse racing, after that race in question.

3. I'd file a report at the great consumer website www.ripoffreport.com (http://www.ripoffreport.com/) and publically embarrass the RETAMA PARK stewards some more.

--What I'd be doing there is exercising my right to freedom of speech and doing what RIGHT, not the POLITICALLY-CORRECT way that a lot of people do by saying or doing nothing because they fear it's not nice to criticize someone else, because they it might hurt their feelings, or those folks might criticize me back.

--If some racetrack employees so something right, contact the track's GENERAL MANAGER and give him or her some positive feedback too when their employees deserve it.

T2W

Also send to the Texas Racing Commission and the Texas Attronery General.

Any other state, something would probably be done. Texas???? wellll....:bang:

theiman
05-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Before you file complaints investigate the rules.

The DRF chart had this comment:
Queen of Los Olmos --flipping rig-off slow.

I remember someone on another board complaining about something similar at I think Evangeline. If a horse uses a flipping halter and moves in the gate it can cause the gate to be delayed in opening. This did not result in a refund, per the rules as the movement action along with the halter on is supposed to do this. It is the risk you take, I think when a flipping halter is used.

I am not 100% sure of the rule but check it out before filing a complaint.

bigmack
05-15-2008, 01:18 AM
QH race charts, log wind speed and direction for 330 yards? We should be so lucky.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/59-3.jpg

Tom Barrister
05-15-2008, 04:33 AM
If the horse used a flipping rig/halter, then there's usually no refund. It's been a while since I've read the information about flipping halters, but this is what i remember:

A flipping halter/rig (also known as a gate halter) is a device attached to the horse's bridle and the starting gate (usually by a rope but sometimes by a chain), with the intention of stopping a horse from flipping in the gate. When the gate opens, it pulls the halter off, and the horse can start.

If a horse with a flipping halter is being fractious as the gate opens (generally if it's rearing back at that point in time), this can keep the gate from opening (since the rope/chain is pulling back on the gate, keeping it from opening forwardly) until the horse stops pulling. The halter can also get tangled in the gate, preventing or delaying it from opening. The quarterhorse racing rules of most states (California for a fact, probably most others) state that if a horse is using a flipping halter, and the horse or halter delays or hinders that gate from opening, that horse is still declared a starter. If the gate fails to open due to mechanical failure (not related to the flipping halter), the horse is declared a non-starter.

Most tracks announce which horses are using a flipping halter, but of course that won't help a simulcast player who can't hear or isn't listening to the track's audio feed and who isn't paying attention to the visual announcement.

ryesteve
05-15-2008, 09:12 AM
The only problem I have with this explanation: if you do a frame-by-frame of the start, you will see that stall 4 also opened late. Not nearly as bad as the 5, but the stall was only half open at the point at which every other gate (but the 5's) was fully open. This makes me wonder if either there was an electrical problem, or, if the explanation re the 5 is completely correct, did the 5's actions impact the start of the 4? Anyone who backed the 4 (only lost by a length) ought to be screaming as well.

whyhorseofcourse
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I never knew anything about the flipping rig.
Thanks for posting that. I am not going to email anyone though. I dont want to get anyone fired over my $18 bet. Besides I would think someone already emailed the track. I was just in shock on how the inquiry light was up for about a minute.