PDA

View Full Version : Who Places and Shows in the Preakness?

BCJMU
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Your prediction. :jump:

Wickel
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Yankee Bravo places and Big Brown shows.

The winner: Kentucky Bear

onefast99
05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Yankee Bravo places and Big Brown shows.

The winner: Kentucky Bear
Looks as if you will have a losing day with that prediction. BB wins again, face it he is the best of this so-so bunch. Yankee bravo will be in the mid pack somewhere.

Bobzilla
05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Brownie is the probable winner. Without knowing post positions, it's hard to say, but a couple I expect to move up would be RILEY TUCKER and HEY BYRN. I hope Pletcher is able to talk Mr. Stronach in to entering HR into the Preakness rather than the Canadien race because he will undoubtably take most of the beat-brownie money, and I don't think the big gray will finish on the board. I look forward to having some win money on RT and HB in case BB doesn't show up, and I definitely look forward to the more likely event of playing BB on top of RT and HB in exotic combos. Need to wait for post positions before getting serious about predictions.

onefast99
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Brownie is the probable winner. Without knowing post positions, it's hard to say, but a couple I expect to move up would be RILEY TUCKER and HEY BYRN. I hope Pletcher is able to talk Mr. Stronach in to entering HR into the Preakness rather than the Canadien race because he will undoubtably take most of the beat-brownie money, and I don't think the big gray will finish on the board. I look forward to having some win money on RT and HB in case BB doesn't show up, and I definitely look forward to the more likely event of playing BB on top of RT and HB in exotic combos. Need to wait for post positions before getting serious about predictions.
BB proved he can win from anywhere!

Bobzilla
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Agreed, Onefast99. I'm waiting for post positions so I can begin to think seriously how I'll be filling in the slots beneath BB in exactas, trifectas and superfectas.

BTW, would anybody here know if 10 cent supers will be available for the Preakness? The 20 horse field in the Derby was, apparently, too much for the tote system to handle in regard for all the combos of a 10 cent super.

rrpic6
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Agreed, Onefast99. I'm waiting for post positions so I can begin to think seriously how I'll be filling in the slots beneath BB in exactas, trifectas and superfectas.

BTW, would anybody here know if 10 cent supers will be available for the Preakness? The 20 horse field in the Derby was, apparently, too much for the tote system to handle in regard for all the combos of a 10 cent super.

Pimlico has not offered 10 cent Supers yet, so look to play $1 supers. It was CDI's decision not to have 10 centers for the Derby weekend, supposedly to prevent the long teller lines there backing up further. They could have set the SAM's or ADW's for the wager but chose not to. I imagine they thought "why charge 10 cents when we can charge a dollar".

RR

lamboguy
05-12-2008, 06:33 PM
big brown has proven he can win with clean trip from the outside, i wonder what he would do in a shorter race from the rail!

does anyone know if jamie theriot is coming to ride kentucky bear?

his agent ain't no stranger to the winners circle, he must have done it for about 4000 times prior with pat day

Bobzilla
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
rrpic6, thanks for the info. on Pimlico's wagering menu in regard to 10 cent superfectas.

In regard to the rider on Kentucky Bear, I did read in a DRF article this morning Jamie Theriot will be riding him in the Preakness.

whyhorseofcourse
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Big brown looks much the best in the field.
IMHO the only way he loses if something goes wrong.

Hey byrn second
Yankee bravo third.

FlyinLate
05-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Big brown looks much the best in the field.
IMHO the only way he loses if something goes wrong.

Hey byrn second
Yankee bravo third.

Similar to mine just reverse second and third :jump:

Bubbles
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Place: Macho Again (horses that do well at CD often do well at PIM, and his only loss at CD was to eventual Blue Grass winner Monba)

Show: Racecar Rhapsody (should relish the jump back to regular dirt after several tries on poly)

Fourth: Gayego (I understand he broke from one of the most outside posts in the Derby, but he does so again here as well)

joanied
05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
big brown has proven he can win with clean trip from the outside, i wonder what he would do in a shorter race from the rail!

does anyone know if jamie theriot is coming to ride kentucky bear?

his agent ain't no stranger to the winners circle, he must have done it for about 4000 times prior with pat day

Yes... Theriot will be aboard Kentucky Bear.

joanied
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm kinda concerned about BB"s post...the #7 is not a ggod one for him because every jock in that race will be trying to keep BB covered up, and unless he breaks like a Quarter Horse on Saturday, Kent D will have to ride very smart to stay out of trouble...wish he'd drawn an outside post. But I beleive he's the best of them all... so here's my finish order:
Big Brown:jump:
Gayego
Icabad Crane
Hey Byrn
Stevil

Marlin
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I love Macho Again in this spot. Throw out the Poly debacle. I have this horse potentially running a lifetime best.

Riley Tucker intrigues me a bit. I like the fact he was within shouting distance of the pace in the Lex. The winner came from far back and other closers moved up substantially.

All that being said Big Brown should once again win by daylight. I really don't like Gayego. Last minute decision to enter. Can a 32K son of Gilded Time really go 1 mile and 3/16ths? Not with my money. Good luck.:)

joanied
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I love Macho Again in this spot. Throw out the Poly debacle. I have this horse potentially running a lifetime best.

Riley Tucker intrigues me a bit. I like the fact he was within shouting distance of the pace in the Lex. The winner came from far back and other closers moved up substantially.

All that being said Big Brown should once again win by daylight. I really don't like Gayego. Last minute decision to enter. Can a 32K son of Gilded Time really go 1 mile and 3/16ths? Not with my money. Good luck.:)

I picked Gayego to place because of 2 things...it WAS a last minute desision, so they must be very happy with his training...and if anyone can get a Gilded Time to get the distance, it's Mike Smith.

Best of luck to you also...hope you cash in.

Bubbles
05-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I think Gayego and Hey Byrn are two nice horses. However, being relative speed horses breaking from 12 and 13, they're either going to need to gun it right out of the gate or settle and rate behind the leaders. If they try to stalk, they'll be sitting five-wide around the turns.

I think Gayego will be much closer to the pace than he was at Churchill, given THAT trip. Tough to say about Hey Byrn.

joanied
05-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I think Gayego and Hey Byrn are two nice horses. However, being relative speed horses breaking from 12 and 13, they're either going to need to gun it right out of the gate or settle and rate behind the leaders. If they try to stalk, they'll be sitting five-wide around the turns.

I think Gayego will be much closer to the pace than he was at Churchill, given THAT trip. Tough to say about Hey Byrn.

Yes, I think Hey Byrn is kind of a mystery, but should run a very good race.
Gayego got crushed in the Derby...gotta put that one on the back burner, and I really think Mike Smith can finesse Gayego's speed.
This one may be a better race than the Derby. Hope the track is fast and not, ugh, muddy.

The Black Eyed Susan sure isn't much this year...no great fillies running there that I can see.

russowen77
05-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I am going to box Hey Bryn, Giant Moon and Behindthebar for a lil bit just in case the unexpected happens and throw those horses along with Ky Bear in the tri and super.

Kelso
05-15-2008, 11:33 PM
every jock in that race will be trying to keep BB covered up, and unless he breaks like a Quarter Horse on Saturday,That's how he got the rail from PP12 in the Florida Derby. He should be able to do it again ... unless he left it all in Louisville.

Robert Fischer
05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
big 7 x 3,5,6,12,13 x 3,4,5,6,8,10,12,13

small 7 x 5,12 x 3,6,12

PLACE:jump:
12Gayego gets a pass for the terrible racing luck in the derby. He wasn't going to win or compete for the win, but he was victimized by the traffic and field size. Blinkers here may decrease his chance.

5Behindathebar is a good looking colt, although you look at his way of going and you look at his El Camino and you knock him down a notch or two. Still an underneath candidate.

3Icabad Crane has the rallying style to get underneath. Rose knows the track and team is coming off the win where he caught Pino sleeping in the Tesio. A poor mans Street Sense, very poor.

13Hey Byrn is best at a mile. 9.5 is too far. However, he looked good in the Holy Bull @ 9.5furlongs. Slow paces can fool you into thinking a miler has stamina. This race could be so bad that he can outrun his pedigree.

6Racecar Rhapsody is a bit cheap out of Tale of the Cat, but his rallying style and good jockey/horse relationship mean he will be passing tiring rivals late.

3rd or 4th (all the above plus:):bang:
10Riley Tucker is a tough horse to guage. He seems like he could run 3rd or 4th without ever threatening again.

8 Kentucky Bear, after being comically overbet in the FOY was a big surprise in the Bluegrass. He isn't a bad animal and could put up an effort here, but class probably shows through and he fades. Needs the perfect trip.

4 Yankee Bravo could have been a true G1 3yo turf miler, but who the hell wants that? His mediocre performances have brought him a 3rd and 4th in Grade I and II Derby preps. Possibly on his way to another 3rd or 4th and raise his stock even more.

Suckers/Supers:cool:
Sucker = Tres Barachos- tempting to use the speed. His weak race in Arkansas Derby earned a pretty 3rd. Should give way in the stretch

Super = Icabad , RAcecar, Riley and STEVIL all add value to your 4th slot.

joanied
05-16-2008, 11:36 AM
That's how he got the rail from PP12 in the Florida Derby. He should be able to do it again ... unless he left it all in Louisville.

After reading some insightful things about BB, which impressed me even more with him, I doubt he'd leave it anyplace...I look for an excellent break, and despite other horses crowding him in, he'll find a spot and go for it...Kent D can do anything with this colt, so I just cannot see him anyplace else but the winner's circle.
:jump:

whyhorseofcourse
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I gave the past performances a look and I am really starting to like Icabad Crane.

In all honesty the race looks like a pass race to me unless your betting on big brown.
If I bet a super, it would look as follows.

7/3,4,12,13/3,4,5,12,13/3,4,5,6,7,12,13

Marshall Bennett
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Place : Gayego

Show : Tres Borrachos

russowen77
05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Behindthebar scratched. I might put RAcecar in my donation 3 horse box for Pimlico. :)

sam i am
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Gayego
Giant Moon

and thats all I have to stay about that.

toetoe
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I was on Hey Byrn's bandwagon for months.
Now, however, I must agree with Marlin.
Macho Again, for the very first time. :D

Upon perusing Marlin's missive, I thought:

"Hey, my key ... he LIKES it." :jump:

LemonSoupKid
05-16-2008, 05:59 PM
7 with 8,10,11,12 with 2,6,8,10,11,12 with 2,6,8,10,11,12,13

7 with 8,10,11,12 with 6,8,9,10,11,12

Exacta? How about Big Brown keyed over KY Bear, Gayego, Giant Moon, and Riley Tucker

LSK

joanied
05-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Same as the first day I posted them...and with so many all of a sudden getting onto Gayego, I'm surprised his odds are still long....Icabad Crane is awful long odds too....hmmmmm...
Wish I had a way to place a bet :mad: :(

Big Brown:jump:
Gayego
Icabad Crane (Rose knows)
Hey Byrn
Stevil (just cause it's Zito)

lamboguy
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
KENTUCKY BEAR

russowen77
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I am going to have to rethink this. You have posts 10-13 all wanting to be close to the lead and the 2 is going to try and take it. This thing has the opportunity to be a really chaotic race.

Robert Fischer
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
12Gayego

3Icabad Crane

13Hey Byrn

6Racecar Rhapsody

throw in #1Macho Again

overthehill
05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
if you believe the beyers. it has to be gayego for place. leaning towards 1 &2 for show as these two figure to get rail trips.

Semipro
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
In order 7-12-1-11-2

NYPlayer
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I like Tucker mostly to place, but I'll play him in all the underneath positions in the triple and super. Stevil is also interesting as is Tres B. My fourth and fifth choices are Macho and Racecar. Everything underneath Big (mostly). I might have one ticket with Tucker on top.

Here's to the Triple Crown!
Good luck to Big Brown!

098poi
05-17-2008, 03:55 AM
7 / 1,4,6,12 / 1,4,6,12

Bobzilla
05-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm sure Desormeaux is going to do his best to keep that big UPS truck out in the clear, but I keep asking myself how might Brownie react if say, he doesn't break well, others get an early tactical position while Brownie gets covered up. I'm not sure if he's ever run into that before i.e. surrounded by foes. Eventually he'd free himself, I'm sure, and probably put it into high gear. Even if BB has a developmental regression today he's still so far superior to these I could see Kent hand riding him from the 5/16 on home.... okay, slight exaggeration.

My trifecta will be:

Big Brown/ Icabad Crane, Racecar Rhapsody, Riley Tucker, Gayego/ IC,RR,RT,G

If for some unforseeable reason Brownie blows a tire and cannot perfrom to his ability I'm betting on Icabad Crane, who can save ground, reserve energy, and pick up the pieces of the chaotic mess that might contribute to Brownie's unlikely undoing. IC has been making incremental improvements with each start and I don't think he's found the true extent of his current range as of yet, and furthermore, never underestimate the advantage of having a race over "Old Hilltop", aka "The Crab House". Besides win money on IC, I will have a rather large exacta wager 7/3.

More than anything I just hope to God this is a safe event for all.

Viruss
05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Suckers/Supers

Thats me!!!!!!!!!

I'm taking Tres Brorrachos for place or show behind Big Brown ...my thoughs here are BB plays the presser/stalker behind Tres Brorrachos, I see these 2 setting a soft pace here, BB trainer wants that Crown and the respect/fame that comes with it.Just my thoughts after seeing him after the derby...

My bets are this. Tri & Supers

7 / 2 / 1,6,810,11,12
7/ 1,6,8,10,11,12 / 2

Good Luck Earl

FunkyMonkey
05-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I do not have a good sense about who will be there at the end but my sense is that if BB loses any of the TC races it is going to be this one. So, if pressed I's probably go with Riley and/or Mucho on top.

Bobzilla
05-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I could be wrong on this one, but my sense is if BB loses today he'll never race again.

lamboguy
05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
my guess is if he was going to lose he wouldn't run today!

ljb
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
i am boxing the 6,7,8,13 in an exacta. $24.00 bet
If odds are low I may also put a key 7 with these and reverse it.

Greyfox
05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
7 / 1,4,6,12 / 1,4,6,12

:ThmbUp:

KingChas
05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Ex. BB/over Macho Again,Kentucky Bear,Stevil
7/1-8-9

Tri. BB/ over Macho Again,Kentucky Bear,Stevil,Riley Tucker
7 w 1,8,9,10 w 1,8,9,10

Tom Barrister
05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm going with 1-4-8-13, some involving Big Brown, and some without him on the ticket.

I'd like to see Big Brown win and complete the Triple Crown, if only for the interest that might generate (e.g. the newcomers it might bring to the game).

kroebuck67
05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
small 7 x 5,12 x 3,6,12

If you're using Gayego in the 2 spot, why wouldn't you use Behindatthebar in the 3 spot? Just curious...

Oddzilla
05-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm confused. Did not fall in love with anything for second or third.

Here's my contribution, calling it good with $1 Superfecta 7,WT,12,WT,1,6,8,10,WT,1,6,8,10 and $1 Superfecta 7,WT,6,8,10,WT,6,8,10,WT,6,8,10

I have never needed a beer so bad than right now.

Marlin
05-18-2008, 02:27 AM

All that being said Big Brown should once again win by daylight. I really don't like Gayego. Last minute decision to enter. Can a 32K son of Gilded Time really go 1 mile and 3/16ths? Not with my money. Good luck.:)Big money. How do you win tons on a 1-5? Huge! Good call Bub. I hope you hit it as much as I did!:)