PDA

View Full Version : Whoa, Curlin nominated for Arc

bane
05-11-2008, 01:28 PM
urlin, the 2007 Horse of the Year and champion three-year-old male, is among 148 nominees for the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (Fr-G1) on October 5 at Longchamp. The purse for this year’s 2,400-meter (11.93-furlong) race has been doubled to approximately $6,178,798 (4-million euros), making it the world’s richest turf race.

Multiple Grade 1 winner Curlin made a special red carpet appearance at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) day on May 3. Majority owner Jess Jackson said the Smart Strike colt likely will make his next start in the $750,000 Stephen Foster Handicap (G1) on June 14 at the Louisville track.

Jackson was hesitant to discuss other races Curlin might run in this year. But he hinted another international start may be a possibility for the winner of the Emirates Airline Dubai World Cup (UAE-G1) on March 29 at Nad al Sheba Racecourse.

“I’d love to go some places that haven’t been showing Kentucky off,” Jackson said on Derby day. “That’s why we went to Dubai. Planting the American flag there was important. I’m a patriot, and I think we need a little boost for Kentucky, for the USA, particularly in the Middle East.”

Steve Asmussen trains Curlin, a career earner of $8,807,800.

Rumor is to he might go for The Japan Cup Turf. Big Brown and Curlin might not meet at all this year, meaning a reason to race him for just a little bit at 5! I honestly think that they will skip the classic, and this will be intresting to see.