PDA

View Full Version : Break downs on foreign track

jasperson
05-10-2008, 09:37 PM
When I got some of the pp data on South American racetracks from lrl and Pimlico I noticed that a lot of their horses raced in excess of 40 times a year for several years. That got me to thinking is there any data on the number of broken legs per number of starters on foreign track vs American tracks? I suspect it is less but I don't have any data. Also are broken legs less prevailent on turf race vs dirt races in the US? Does anybody know if this type of data exsists and where we could get it?
Jack

Marshall Bennett
05-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I would assume a good turf course is much safer , definately softer . I would assume a chewed up turf course isn't safe . This is an opinion , I've seen no data .

razzle
05-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Jasperson,

When I got some of the pp data on South American racetracks from lrl and Pimlico I noticed that a lot of their horses raced in excess of 40 times a year for several years. That got me to thinking is there any data on the number of broken legs per number of starters on foreign track vs American tracks? I suspect it is less but I don't have any data. Also are broken legs less prevailent on turf race vs dirt races in the US? Does anybody know if this type of data exsists and where we could get it?
Jack
I think your question is an important one. I hope someone can chime in with data, especially related to the experience on dirt in Hong Kong.
raz

dutchboy
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Jack

http://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/newsimages/pressingmatter.pdf

Link to an article that provides breakdown stats from foreign countries.

jasperson
05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks dutch boy

razzle
05-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Dutch boy,

Thank you for the article. It cites research from UP New Bolton Center comparing breakdown rates between the US, Europe and Asia. That is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I am unable to tell if the comparisons are dirt to dirt or a mix of surfaces.

It apparently was written in 2007 in response to the increase in fatalities at Arlington in 2006 before the surface switch. The article slants against medications being a major contributor to the rates, but doesn't give a basis for that position.

If anything, the article seem most critical of the US practice of racing 2yo juveniles in short dirt(?) sprints with the emphasis on "speed, speed, speed."

My thanks, again, to jasperson for the question.

juanepstein
05-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Jasperson,

I think your question is an important one. I hope someone can chime in with data, especially related to the experience on dirt in Hong Kong.
raz

there is no dirt in hong kong

shatin racecourse has an all weather track in the middle and a StrathAyr turf course just like MOONEE VALLEY in australia.
http://www.strathayr.com.au/html/turf/race.htm

happy valley is straight up turf.
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/03/22/happyvalley_wideweb__470x338,0.jpg

razzle
05-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Juanepstein,

Thank you.

raz

dutchboy
05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.racehorseherbal.com/Training/Records/records.html

Interesting pictures at the bottom of the webpage. Found it as I was looking for stats on breakdowns.

Amazing what can be found on the Internet.

juanepstein
05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
those pictures are cool.

love the one showing the mule grooming the track.

kenwoodallpromos
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Drugs do not cause breakdowns- running them when they should not be can.

Tom Barrister
05-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Drugs do not cause breakdowns- running them when they should not be can.

Aren't drugs a contributing cause, i.e. helping the horses feel good enough to get past the vet's inspection and/or feel good enough to race when unsound?

46zilzal
05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Drugs (NSAID's and steroids)in varying degrees, block the biochemical mechanism of repair i.e. inflammation.