PDA

View Full Version : Dont know if this has been posted yet...

lilmegahertz
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Eight Bells for Eight Belles

by Claire Novak

Updated: May 9, 2008

A petition urging Churchill Downs to honor Fox Hill Farms’ deceased filly Eight Belles by ringing eight bells, a nautical euphemism for “finished,” prior to the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), is gaining momentum among horse lovers across the nation.
The online petition, started by horse lover Joni Massengale, requests the memorial action be taken in memory of Eight Belles after her tragic breakdown in the 2008 edition of the Derby.
The term "eight bells" signifies the ending of one watch and the beginning of another aboard a ship. It can also be a way of saying that a sailor's life long watch is over, for instance, in his or her obituary.
The petition reads: “Whereas the Kentucky Derby is the epitome of Thoroughbred horse racing, rich in its history and traditions; and whereas the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing is a celebration of the beauty and athleticism of the breed; and whereas on May 3, 2008 one horse raced with the heart of a champion and a spirit greater than her body; let eight bells be rung before the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby in memory of the filly.”
Located at 8BellsForEightBelles.org (http://8bellsforeightbelles.org/), the petition gives those that sign an opportunity to leave comments, some of which are posted on the site. There is no personal information being collected other than name, city, state, and country, and there is no solicitation for money.

A flash introduction to the site, accompanied by the audio track of eight ringing bells, reads, “Spirit, courage, hope, beauty, heart, grace, determination, champion: Eight Belles.”

46zilzal
05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Good idea and I am spreading the word.

JustRalph
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
her name was not eight bells............. it was eight belles and it refers to something completely different than what they are proposing.......

they could come up with something better...........but if I was Churchill I wouldn't want to revisit the issue right before the race,,,,,,,,,, give me a break.

xfile
05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
her name was not eight bells............. it was eight belles and it refers to something completely different than what they are proposing.......

they could come up with something better...........but if I was Churchill I wouldn't want to revisit the issue right before the race,,,,,,,,,, give me a break.

What does her exact name refer to?

njcurveball
05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
a nautical euphemism for “finished,”

WOW! This is something right of Stephen King! Scary! :eek:

46zilzal
05-09-2008, 04:38 PM
(nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical
time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells
signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.

DJofSD
05-09-2008, 05:01 PM
What does her exact name refer to?

Only the owners know the background to the name. However, belles in french usually means a beautiful woman.

Nacumi
05-09-2008, 05:27 PM
She was named for one of artist Andrew Wyeth's family homes in Maine (Porter named a few of his horses in homage to them), but her name actually references this painting by Winslow Homer, Eight Bells. Here's an article about how Porter was inspired by the family: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/18357764.html

http://www.art-prints-on-demand.com/kunst/winslow_homer_11011/bells_hi.jpg

toetoe
05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
This idea is worse than having Paul Simon sing "Joltin' Joe has left and gone away ... hey, hey, hey ..." in center field, BUT better than having Roseanne "Pass That Chocolate" Barr singing the national anthem.