PDA

View Full Version : Match up software?

jk3521
05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I just could not resist! A seller on E Bay had Match Up software up for bid along with the manual. I scooped it up for the Buy it now price of $22. Anyone had any experience using it. Good buy or Goodbye?

DJofSD
05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
If your familiar with the precepts of the Sartin Methodology, it's a great introduction. I started using it when I got frustrated with TPR. A good handicapper can find winners using Match Up.

Some might pan it but there's no reason not to use it as a stepping stone to other programs after a while. One draw back is it is manual inputs. But Doc always said there were advantages to having to enter the data by hand. And it is true.

Erudito
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Is this a DOS version or Windows version? The Windows version by Randy Kovach doesn't have a manual. It uses the HAT files from BRIS. The DOS version is a manual input key program. Good luck with your new toy.

delayjf
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
DJ,

you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all you have to do is change the file extension of the hat files to use with the match up.

I used the match-up for a few years and had some good results. but i will warn you not to use sprint pacelines in a route race and vice versa. Sprinters stretching out will look unbeatable.

DJofSD
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
What I used was the DOS version of the Match Up. It was strictly manual input when I started to use it in early 1990. No BRIS files were being used for input until Jimmy and Randy came out with XTOR then AODDS.

delayjf
05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I used the Synergetic Match-up II disk. I remember Phil showed me that by simply changing the hat files extention to the ext used by the program you could download. But it's been a few years since I did that and off the top of my head I don't remember the ext used by the Match-up. I belive you had to open the file with Aodds first, then change the extension and copy the file to your race file directory.

lsosa54
05-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Don't know about the Windows version, but the DOS version of the Match Up has input for 3 time calls and 4 beaten lengths calls. It saves files in the old .rac Sartin format, which may have changed around the time of Fractals to .api.

A Odds exports to the 4 time call Sartin programs in the .rac format but I don't think these files work with the 3 time call Match Up DOS program. I think manual might be the only way to go.

Ted Craven may be working on a 3 time call export ability in the old .rac format for RDSS, not sure. I believe RDSS does have the ability to export in .rac format for the 4 time call programs, but again not sure.

socantra
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I just could not resist! A seller on E Bay had Match Up software up for bid along with the manual. I scooped it up for the Buy it now price of $22. Anyone had any experience using it. Good buy or Goodbye?

If you got the old red Match Up manual, you got a bargain, whether you ever use the software or not.

jk3521
05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Socantra, Is it the content of the Red Manual or the worth of the manual itself ? The manual and program are sent on a USB flash drive.

socantra
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Socantra, Is it the content of the Red Manual or the worth of the manual itself ? The manual and program are sent on a USB flash drive.

I have paid at least $20 for the manual several times, but that was for the original, not a ripped off copy. The information is priceless.

Houndog
05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't know about the Windows version, but the DOS version of the Match Up has input for 3 time calls and 4 beaten lengths calls. It saves files in the old .rac Sartin format, which may have changed around the time of Fractals to .api.

A Odds exports to the 4 time call Sartin programs in the .rac format but I don't think these files work with the 3 time call Match Up DOS program. I think manual might be the only way to go.

Ted Craven may be working on a 3 time call export ability in the old .rac format for RDSS, not sure. I believe RDSS does have the ability to export in .rac format for the 4 time call programs, but again not sure.

AODDS 5.5 does have the ability to export to the older 3 call Sartin Programs in the .rac format so I am thinking it may work for the DOS Match Up program.

As far as RDSS is concerned it does have the ability to export to the 3 call Sartin programs (Energy for example). The RDSS export is not officially set-up to work with the 4 call programs but it seems to work OK with sprint races just using sprint lines. In route races it doesn't seem to work when mixing 8; 8.5; and 9 furlong lines in the same race. The .rac file format is different in the 3 and 4 call Sartin programs.

Ted Craven
05-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Lou,

3 calls now, 4 calls shortly (old RAC file formats)

Ted

delayjf
05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I had two version of the matchup, the one were I coverted hat files to rac files might have been the 4 call version. If anyone has some hat files from Aodds give it a try. But I also recall that while the fourth fraction was added, I recall a conversation were with some in the Sartin group at the time that the fourth fraction was added only for asthetics and was not used in calculating the ratings - I don't know if that is true or not.

JoeLong
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
AODDS 5.5 does have the ability to export to the older 3 call Sartin Programs in the .rac format so I am thinking it may work for the DOS Match Up program.

Yes, I am sure this is the case, the drawback of course is you can only use .hat files with AOdds 5.5, changing the .drf extension to .hat will not work with AOdds 5.5. The only version of AOdds that will work with standard .drf files is AOdds Super Gold 98 with the last update which removed the .drf restriction, I think it was Build 190.

Still, the bigger question is... Is the DOS Match-Up program better at getting contenders than simply using AOdds in the first place?

DJofSD
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't know if that is true or not.

Yes, that is true. Even in the more advanced Energy based S/W the stretch call is input into the program but it is not used for any calculations.

Houndog
05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, I am sure this is the case, the drawback of course is you can only use .hat files with AOdds 5.5, changing the .drf extension to .hat will not work with AOdds 5.5. The only version of AOdds that will work with standard .drf files is AOdds Super Gold 98 with the last update which removed the .drf restriction, I think it was Build 190.

Still, the bigger question is... Is the DOS Match-Up program better at getting contenders than simply using AOdds in the first place?

Joe good point. AODDS 5.5 as you say must use the "HAT" file it will not use the $1.00 DRF file. If you download alot of races this makes a difference.