PDA

View Full Version : Billiards

bigmack
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I've always wanted to "shoot stick" with some level of ability. Several months ago I bought a regulation sized table and set-up a billiard room.

So far, so rotten. Do you get better the more you play or do you just have to have an eye for it?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/pool.jpg

DJofSD
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
So far, so rotten. Do you get better the more you play or do you just have to have an eye for it?

I think as long as your using good technique you should see some improvement. If you know some one that can help you by giving you some pointers or lessons, that would get you going.

I used to think I was OK. Entered some tournaments at the then hot place there in PB and quickly had my *ss handed to me. Oh well.

bigmack
05-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I used to think I was OK. Entered some tournaments at the then hot place there in PB and quickly had my *ss handed to me. Oh well.
A chum, whom I thought was one hell of a shooter, played in that tournament in PB and was mertalized within minutes. Some formidable players there.

Pace Cap'n
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Some tips:

When lining up for a shot, it is good to have the cuestick right between your eyes.

When in the act of shooting (lining up and the actual shot), the shooting arm should remain stationary from the elbow on up. The only arm movement should be in the elbow and wrist.

If you wear glasses, bifocals suck big time. Get some single-vision glasses dialed in to the table.

The best way to improve your game is to play someone better than you are.

A quality (read $) cue is a big help.

robert99
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
The snooker version has the world's best players so try googling "learn snooker"

For example
http://www.learnsnooker.co.uk/flash-snooker.swf

shows how the placing of the cue ball for the next shot is an important part of the shot that pots the first ball.

Five things that might help but it takes a few months hard practice before it becomes natural:

Practice the same shot with the balls in the same positions, over and over

Then practice potting the ball AND placing the cue ball with spin to come to rest at the same spot

Use the absolute minimum force - your cueing action needs to be delicate, controlled and absolutely repeatable

Get your eye line down to as near the table level as you can.

Imagine two lines that intersect at the object ball - it is the intersection you aim for in you mind's eye - not the object ball nor the cue ball

delayjf
05-07-2008, 07:44 PM
There are some books out there that can help as well.

DJofSD
05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Pace Cap'n,

What about the grip of the cue itself? What do you use for holding the stick and what kind of bridge do you make with the hand on the table -- wrap the finger around the stick or make a "tent"?

Pace Cap'n
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I would just use whatever is comfortable for the shot at hand. The more you have to stretch for the shot, the less practical it is to wrap the finger around the stick.

To shoot off the rail, place the cue between the index and middle fingers. Fold the thumb under towards the palm and rest it alongside the cue. If the cueball is exceedingly close to the rail, well, that's a tough shot.

JustRalph
05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Mack, I used to have a pool room in the house. 9 Footer that has been passed down through the wife's family. Built in the 40's, heavy as hell. Nice Table. Rehabbed a few times over the years. Let's just say you can have the best table in the world, but it won't help your game unless you get some instruction. I took a total of 10-12 lessons from an individual provided by the local pool table dealer. I was three times as good after those lessons. I still sucked, but I don't embarrass myself anymore. If you can find someone to give you lessons. Give it a whirl.

OTM Al
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Its practice and watching and playing people better than you. The key to good play is a consistant controlled stroke to gain the leaves of the cue ball for each successive shot. Balance and form are essential. I've been playing for years but I just don't practice enough anymore so my game has deteriorated a bit. Pool is part math and part art and it makes you consider what is possible.

I would recommend that if you are interested, look around your area and see if they have an APA league. That way you can find a group of people and play each week in competition with other teams You will be able to see how many different people play and you'll pick up a lot. Matches are skill handicapped, so even a low ranked player has a chance to knock of a top player. I've played in this for about 8 years now and its a lot of fun if you can find a good team. In many places the APA matches are played in bars, so if you like shooting a little stick and kicking back a cold one with friends, its a fun way to go. Also teams that win their leagues play in regional tournements with a chance to go to a national tourney in Vegas. There are singles tournements as well, though you must be on a team with a number of matches already played to qualify. My team captain won his way to a trip to Vegas in the singles play which was last weekend (held at Riviera) and had a pretty good time.

bigmack
05-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Much obliged to all for the sound advice.

Tablewise, got a 9' Olhausen. Mighty fine piece of craftsmanship.

The room it's in sure is swell. I've never had as much fun lighting a room as that.

As a taller fella I struggle with my eye line being where I'd like but I'm happy with a fairly soft grip and a well structured "keep it high" bridge. I struggle with a consistant game and have heard my stroke is a bit fast.

All in all, it's a nice place to spend some time. Perhaps, as I fine tune, I'll venture out and play in the local leagues.

JustRalph
05-08-2008, 02:32 AM
have heard my stroke is a bit fast. .

My instructor said that was the number one mistake. Too fast and too hard.

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
My instructor said that was the number one mistake. Too fast and too hard.Oh brother...I wonder who is going to have a fun time with that last line....:lol:

Pace Cap'n
05-08-2008, 11:30 PM
I'll give it a shot...

He: If I'd known you were a virgin, I would have been more gentle.

She: If I'd known you were in such a hurry, I'd have taken off my pantyhose.

JustRalph
05-09-2008, 02:10 AM
I thought about it after I submitted the message............ what the hell.......