PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Visit

andicap
02-19-2003, 02:09 PM
My cousin and I are spending two days in Florida next month to take in Gulfstream and exhibition baseball (i've never been to either).

We will be at GP on March 12-13 and would love to meet anyone from this board at the track.

Suff
02-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Andi... Most MLB teams have spring training in Central Florida. But Three teams have thiers in Southern Florida. The Expo's.. The Cardinals and the Orioles. The Orioles will be your best bet as they are right in Ft. Lauderdale.... near the track at Ft. Lauderdale Stadium.

They actually have a Home game against the Cincinatti Reds on Thursday,,,March 13th at 1:05... If that fits. If your going to be near Tampa...( Thats a 4 hour ride from Ft. lauderale) You could see any number of teams... matter of fact,... the Yanks play the SOX on thursday NIGHT...at 7:05 on March 13th in Tampa.

Do you know where you staying? The hampton Inn is Directly across the street from the track.... It's Nice and clean and mid-week it's roundabout $100 a night depending on availibilty?

There's a hole in the wall Joint about 5 miles from the track Called the Wayside inn that I have stayed at Before. It's cheap and near the Beach and no more than an 10 minute Ride to the track. Matter of fact there's a Bar right next door.. called the wayside... on 1st street... One Block back from Federal Highway (same street Gulfstreams on)...... It's owned by a Boston guy... and many Boston Horse players hang out in there ... If your looking to have a few beers with some other horseplayers.. This aint a bad place... Matter of fact... Just behind the BAR... above the cash register is a Picture off two smiling men In Tuxedos. It's a Picture of My Dad and Colin Powell!! My Father went to the Dinner at the TOUCHDOWN club in DC every year and the Picture is from like 1985 before Powell was famous. The Guy that owns the Joint and his wife Tend bar in there... They were both great Friends of My Dads. You tell them you know that Guy in the TUX and his son. Guaranteed they Put up up a few rounds for you.

Enjoy yourself... and I hope you post a detailed account of your trip when you get back..........

Wayside Inn

38 NE 1ST Ave

Dania, FL 33004-2811
Phone: (954) 922-2411

The Hampton Inn
1000 South Federal Highway
Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
954-874-1111