PDA

View Full Version : Impeachment is on the table: Ohio Attorney General

JustRalph
05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/05/06/copy/CLEAN_COPY.ART_ART_05-06-08_A1_8AA4CNF.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

AG Scandal
Quit or be impeached, Democrats tell Dann
The governor and seven other top Democrats tell the beleaguered attorney general to go
Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:18 AM
By Alan Johnson, James Nash and Jim Siegel

A defiant Attorney General Marc Dann rebuffed calls from state leaders to resign yesterday, pushing his fellow Democrats toward something that apparently hasn't happened in Ohio's 205-year history: the impeachment of a statewide official.

Gov. Ted Strickland joined seven other top Ohio Democrats in an extraordinary effort to oust the attorney general. They said Dann no longer can function in that office because of a litany of management failings and ethical breaches -- including an affair with an employee -- that surfaced in an investigation into sexual-harassment charges involving a Dann aide.

The Dispatch broke the news of the unified call for Dann's ouster yesterday on Dispatch.com.

"The work of the office of the attorney general matters more, and is far more important, than any one person," the Democrats wrote in a letter sent Sunday night to Dann. "In many, many cases it is all that stands between the people and the powerful. Sadly, we no longer have even the most remote hope that you can continue to effectively serve as attorney general and that is why we are asking for your resignation."

Dann rejected the request in two late-night phone conversations Sunday with Strickland. The governor said Dann was "rather firm" in his resolve. Dann reaffirmed his refusal in an e-mail at 11:43 a.m. yesterday to his entire staff.

"I am in the office, have rolled up my sleeves and am working on behalf of the people of the state of Ohio. I hope you will do the same," he wrote.

Later yesterday, Dann told the Akron Beacon Journal editorial board that he needs more time to prove himself.

"If I reach a point where I am detracting from the office, I will reconsider," Dann said. "I am nowhere near that point now."

Dann, 46, was paid $98,466 last year.

In a news conference on the Statehouse steps, Strickland said Dann told him "that he does not believe that he has done anything that would justify his leaving office, that he feels that he was elected by the people, and he will continue to do his best to remain in office."

But the governor, who noted that he spoke for five or six hours Sunday with other Democratic officials, said Dann must step down because of inconsistencies in his testi- mony and the totality of the problems in his office.

The Democrats' letter was also signed by Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, Treasurer Richard Cordray, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher, the party's two legislative leaders, Rep. Joyce Beatty and Sen. Ray Miller, both of Columbus, and state party Chairman Chris Redfern.

The state party also is prepared to disown Dann, Redfern said. In 2006, Dann was the most outspoken member of a Democratic statewide slate that promised to end corruption in state government. On Saturday, Redfern said, the party's executive committee is to vote on rescinding its 2006 endorsement of Dann.

~more at the link~

rrpic6
05-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Gov. Strickland and the other top Democrats in Ohio are really playing politics now. Dann is certainly an embarrassment to this area, but his personal life should not lead to Impeachment. His hiring of Guiterrez, a well-known area slug, was Dann's biggest mistake. By not firing the creap sooner has led to this free fall. Strickland is rumored to be Hillary's VP Candidate, so he wants this mess over soon. A long drawn out Impeachment process will wear down any advantage the Dems have in winning the State vs. McCain in November. We all know "whoever wins Ohio, wins the White House".

RR

JustRalph
05-14-2008, 09:58 PM
He threw in the towel today after State Troopers seized control of his office on the authority of the State Inspector General, at the direction of the Governor and the Legislature.

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/05/14/dan15aaa.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

JustRalph
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/05/14/copy/0_BLACK_EYE.ART_ART_05-14-08_B1_1BA6O5F.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Traficant, the mob, and now Marc Dann
Youngstown native's scandal gives his city an even worse rap

related article on Youngstown Ohio Damage to the State's Reputation

chickenhead
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Traficant for Attorney General! I miss that guy..

Snag
05-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Traficant for Attorney General! I miss that guy..

I wonder what happened to the "rug"?

JustRalph
05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I wonder what happened to the "rug"?

Still locked up, I think?

JustRalph
12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/12/18/dann_money.html

Dann faked financial reports, complaint says
Thousands diverted to family and aides, inspector general finds

Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:06 PM

Former Ohio Attorney General Marc Dann falsified his campaign finance records to disguise thousands of dollars spent to benefit his wife, children and top campaign staffers, a complaint filed today says.

Statements of receipts and expenditures that Dann's campaign filed with the secretary of state "contain incomplete, inaccurate and false information concerning expenditures from the fund for travel, food, beverages, cell phones and other expenditures," Inspector General Thomas P. Charles said in a sworn statement filed with the complaint before the Ohio Elections Commission.

Among the improper campaign spending cited by Charles:

* Payments to a supplier of a personal business operated by Dann's wife, Alyssa, that were "converted to the personal use of Alyssa Lenhoff Dann."

* Air travel and lodging for Dann's immediate family, along with cell phones for his wife and two minor children.

* Regular payments to communications director Leo Jennings III for "consulting services" actually were used for rent and utilities at a Dublin-area condo shared by Dann, Jennings and Anthony Gutierrez, Dann's general services director. Both Jennings and Gutierrez were fired last spring. Payments to campaign treasurer Mary Beth Snyder for "consulting services" actually went for keeping Dann's campaign books.

* Purchases of snacks, beverages, fast food and incidental items were made almost daily both in the Columbus area and around Youngstown, where Dann resided.

Outlays from a separate pool of cash collected from corporations, political action committees and others for Dann's transition also were improper. Charles said.

Specific amounts were not listed for any of the items. Both Dann and his campaign treasurer committed election falsification, Charles said. Jennings helped Snyder and Dann break the law by attempt to disguise the "consulting" payments, Charles added.

Dann took office in January 2007 after campaigning against the "culture of corruption" in Columbus. He was forced to resign May 14 of this year after his fellow Democrats mounted an impeachment effort and investigators led by Charles conducted an extraordinary raid on the attorney general's office.

~more at the link~