PDA

View Full Version : Match Race ?

cj's dad
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Will the Preakness be a race among 5 or less? DRF has reported that ONLY Recapturetheglory is considering coming to B'more for the race. What a train wreck this could turn out to be, the Derby winner racing against a group of third tier competition. Apperently, other than Eight Belles, the rest of the derby field was 2nd tier at best.

Rackon
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I think it likely we'll have several new shooters. Not many will want to take him on. The best looking one coming up, Harlem Rocker, is probably bound for the Canadian Triple Crown.

There will still be money for 2nd-4th. And there will be plenty of folks betting BB's feet won't hold out for the Belmont.

Marshall Bennett
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
A sign of the times . A big time winner and everyone scatters . Hard as hell to get a decent race together these days .

Bubbles
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Horses will show up.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that we thought War Pass would be facing a short field in the TB Derby, and look what happened there.

cj's dad
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
A sign of the times . A big time winner and everyone scatters . Hard as hell to get a decent race together these days .

Just looked at today's Baltimore Sun and there are 7 listed as definite (not counting BB):
Behindatthebar 1st last out
El Gato Malo fifth
Giant Moon fourth
Kentucky Bear third
Stevil fourth
Tres Borrachos third
Yankee Bravo fourth

3 listed as doubtful/possible/probable:
Harlem Rocker
Macho Again
Recapturetheglory- doubtful

Of this possible field of 10 challengers the results of their last race are as follows:
Won - 3 - 2 of which are on the D/P/P list
Finished 3rd - 2
4th - 3
5th - 2

I can hardly contain my excitement!:sleeping:

cj's dad
05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Horses will show up.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that we thought War Pass would be facing a short field in the TB Derby, and look what happened there.

Bubbles, (I thought your dad taught you better)

so will 70,000 drunks; that alone won't make it anything other than what it is. Remember, even when you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig.

take care/ see ya in Saratoga

njcurveball
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Will the Preakness be a race among 5 or less?

Owners and trainers get their faces on TV, that brings a few extra each year. I am guessing they will have 8 or 9 this year.

Remember, running 2nd to Big Brown may be a BIG DEAL if he winds up his career undefeated. Getting close to him at the finish an even bigger one.

Marshall Bennett
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Hopefully Kent won't have to do much , save some for the Belmont . :p

Semipro
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I can't understand why Denis of Cork or TOE are some others wouldn't like the Place purse.

KingChas
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I can't understand why Denis of Cork or TOE are some others wouldn't like the Place purse.

They should ask Nick Zito.
Birdstone was entered in the 2004 Belmont to get a place purse. :eek:

Marlin
05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Always enjoy watching the doc "Jewels of the Triple Crown". Historically, many triple crown winners have faced short and overmatched fields. My guess is that Denis and a few others realize they cannot beat the Brown on the square. However, with the extra rest they will be willing to take a shot in the Belmont.

Bruddah
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Always enjoy watching the doc "Jewels of the Triple Crown". Historically, many triple crown winners have faced short and overmatched fields. My guess is that Denis and a few others realize they cannot beat the Brown on the square. However, with the extra rest they will be willing to take a shot in the Belmont.

Maybe Jerry Bailey will come out of retirement and help defeat BB like he did Smarty Jones. ;)

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2008, 03:21 AM
A sign of the times . A big time winner and everyone scatters . Hard as hell to get a decent race together these days .Sign of the times? Hey, two years ago Barbaro absolutely CRUSHED the Derby, yet EIGHT others came to Baltimore to take him on in the Preakness.

Why do you think nobody is showing up this year? Big Brown at least has bad feet. Barbaro had no such apparent vulnerabilities heading to Pimlico in 2006. You would think there would be a number of horses wanting to run in the Preakness this year, hoping that BB's feet get the best of him.....