PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown in the Preakness

Onion Monster
05-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm sure he has scared off some of his competition and he has the perfect running style for any dirt distance, but I'm going to try to beat Big Brown in a couple of weeks. Why?

1. Bad feet. Big Brown's physical problems are well documented on this board. Two weeks to rest and heal may not be enough down time. Dutrow, who was remarkably confident heading into the Derby, is sounding sheepish about the Preakness. They can't scratch a potential Triple Crown winner.

2. Bad value. He's a freak, superhorse, etc. He'll be 3-5 or lower.

3. I'm a glutton for punishment. He beat me in the Derby (I backed Denis of Cork, Gayego and Recapturetheglory, necessarily in that order) and I'm coming back for more.

Anybody else with me?

Semipro
05-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm sure he has scared off some of his competition and he has the perfect running style for any dirt distance, but I'm going to try to beat Big Brown in a couple of weeks. Why?

1. Bad feet. Big Brown's physical problems are well documented on this board. Two weeks to rest and heal may not be enough down time. Dutrow, who was remarkably confident heading into the Derby, is sounding sheepish about the Preakness. They can't scratch a potential Triple Crown winner.

3. I'm a glutton for punishment. He beat me in the Derby (I backed Denis of Cork, Gayego and Recapturetheglory, necessarily in that order) and I'm coming back for more.

Anybody else with me?Think I'll wait and see how Dutrow is thinking a few days out if he says feet are ok then I'll believe him but probaby just play exotics just to have action but if he doesn't break down he will again win my seven.

Ron
05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sure he has scared off some of his competition..

As of now he has scared off all 18 of the live Kentucky Derby entrants.

BIG49010
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know what Dutrow had in him, but he looked like he could run another 1 1/4 after the race. Keep him happy for 2 weeks, is about all he'll have to do.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know what Dutrow had in him....You write as if this is the first time BB ran a decent race....:lol:

Tex9Down
05-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Icabod Crane will run in the Preakness. But, not so sure I'll bet him to win.

ny0707ny
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Anybody else with me?

How is it possible this horse ran 3 triple digit beyers without getting tired from any of those races? I don't follow it close enough but is this really normal? How come the bounce rule does not apply to him? He does not look like a horse that would be a superhorse. I still don't understand it.

Tom
05-04-2008, 09:29 PM
The only thinkg I will be looking at is the Preakness undercard. Aboutthe time of the big race, dinner sounds good.

Can't see any reason to get excited about the Preakness. All the total washouts in the derby.....what's to watch for?

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
He does not look like a horse that would be a superhorse.First, please tell us what a horse that would be a superhorse is supposed to look like.

chickenhead
05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
sumfin like this?

ny0707ny
05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
First, please tell us what a horse that would be a superhorse is supposed to look like.

That is hard to explain. It is like looking at a horse before a race and knowing he is gonna run a big one and that he is fit. Some people told me you can't tell. I can usually though not all the time. Naughty New Yorker looked great before his last race but did nothing really. But I found out he only had 2 weeks rest between races. Probably explained it.
BB just looks like a regular horse. I guess he is kind of on the bigger side not sure. I don't know off hand his size.

War Pass is the best current example of a horse that looks like he can win anything.

Invasor was another horse that looked like nothing can stop him. He actually got blocked in one race I remember and came back and still won. He was amazing in every way. He looked it every time.

Semipro
05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
How is it possible this horse ran 3 triple digit beyers without getting tired from any of those races? I don't follow it close enough but is this really normal? How come the bounce rule does not apply to him? He does not look like a horse that would be a superhorse. I still don't understand it. He was lucky and hit the genetic lottery a little like Smarty Jones with sire line with tons of speed and a dame's line with stamina seems he has the talent to do about anything they want with him. What should be really scary for the competition he is becoming a more ratable(professional) horse and if can stay sound will win the triple crown.

Vinnie
05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh my Lord Chickenhead you have me and my wife rolling over here. That is too Funny.... :)

All the BEST!

Semipro
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
sumfin like this?Is he running soon don't usually bet off looks but he sure looks like a superhorse to me thanks for the laugh:lol:

sandpit
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I think Icabod Crane will run in the Preakness. But, not so sure I'll bet him to win.

Icabod will only serve to drive down BB's odds :D

sandpit
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
How is it possible this horse ran 3 triple digit beyers without getting tired from any of those races? I don't follow it close enough but is this really normal? How come the bounce rule does not apply to him? He does not look like a horse that would be a superhorse. I still don't understand it.

It's simply a matter of pure talent; in the 90s, Formal Gold used to run ridiculously high Beyers on a regular basis and while I thought he was a nice looking animal, he didn't look like the second coming of Secretariat.

I don't think that BB has bounced to this point because he never has extended himself. In the Derby, the way he would stop and start, seemingly listening to Desormeaux's every wish, was amazing. After the race, Desormeaux said he actually gave the horse a breather between the 1/4 and 5/16ths pole! That blows my mind; when every one else is all out, he was able to rest his colt because he knew he what he had in the tank.

Rackon
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Not only that, but Bb galloped out strong, didn't really want to pull up and barely broke a sweat.

Never underestimate dam side stamina lines.

If by any chance BB has a large heart, it came from his dam's side of the family.

He's not the most gorgeous TB in the world, but he's handsome enough, and he's positively gorgeous in motion. It's effortless for him - so far. Every horse has a limit, but BB hasn't found his yet. A super star doesn't have to win the beauty contest, they just have to be fast.

Shenanigans
05-04-2008, 11:08 PM

Anybody else with me?

Saw an interview with Dutrow this morning and they asked him about BB feet. He said "he is over it, it was an infection." Really? I didn't realize quarter cracks are "infections". If it was an "infection" maybe he needs to fire the groom.

Greyfox
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Undefeated by many lengths.
Runs into a 24 m.p.h wind twice.
Runs 5 wide and 3 wide around two turns.
Returns to the photo area without a sweat.
Earns a 107 +Beyer.
Gimmeee a break Jake.
He's the horse to beat. It's just that easy.
Will I bet against him? You betcha. It's a horse race.
WillI bet on him? You betcha.
Weight your plays and you can make money.

DJofSD
05-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Has there ever been a walk over in the Preakness?

Kelso
05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
The TC races will be the first time he's had to run in quick succession. Wonder how Tomicito ... with perhaps the Preakness as a prep ... would do against BB in the Belmont.

Without question, BB is a fantastic horse. Wonder if he'll be able to handle fresh talent at every challenge.

rastajenk
05-05-2008, 01:44 AM
nyny, your hard-on for War Pass has passed delusional into the realm of low comedy. It kind of makes one feel sad, but one can't help laughing at it, like street-corner wackos proclaiming The End Is Here.

WinterTriangle
05-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Saw an interview with Dutrow this morning and they asked him about BB feet. He said "he is over it, it was an infection." Really? I didn't realize quarter cracks are "infections". If it was an "infection" maybe he needs to fire the groom.

Do ya'll think it's prudent to have a horse that just ran this kind of race run the Preakness 2 weeks later? Is he *sound* enough....foot-wise, and historically speaking, in terms of other horses who have run the Preakness after Derby?

ny0707ny
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
nyny, your hard-on for War Pass has passed delusional into the realm of low comedy. It kind of makes one feel sad, but one can't help laughing at it, like street-corner wackos proclaiming The End Is Here.

:sleeping: :sleeping: Uh......... he still holds the record for fastest beyer even when compared to Big Brown. He was well on his way to getting even better running a 98 at Gulfstream withing even being urged during the entire race. If the hrose didn't have physical problem he would be better than Big Brown I think. :bang: Regardless if he could have gone the 1 1/4 mile he is still the better horse.

Marshall Bennett
05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Do ya'll think it's prudent to have a horse that just ran this kind of race run the Preakness 2 weeks later? Is he *sound* enough....foot-wise, and historically speaking, in terms of other horses who have run the Preakness after Derby?
Thats what winning the TC is all about , what would you expect ?

KingChas
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Think I'll sit back and enjoy the ride.
Go Big Brown....... :jump:

This may be the last triple crown winner we will ever see that ran on the traditional good old fashioned dirt.

The future holds many an asterisk***@*** :ThmbDown:

ny0707ny
05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Think I'll sit back and enjoy the ride.
Go Big Brown....... :jump:

This may be the last triple crown winner we will ever see that ran on the traditional good old fashioned dirt.

The future holds many an asterisk***@*** :ThmbDown:

That ain't the half of it. How is the Breeders' Cup going to be this year if they race it on a non-dirt track for first time at SA? :bang: :bang:
Go Colonel John! :jump:

Norm
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I think those who are waiting for Big Brown to bounce are overlooking a possibility. Maybe the Derby WAS his bounce race :D .

peakpros
05-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I was impressed with how well BB handled the crowd in the KD.

If you saw him on the track before the FD he was a mess. Fighting the pony and washed out.

He was much more of a professional horse on saturday. And ran like one. I think he only gets better.

ny0707ny
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I was impressed with how well BB handled the crowd in the KD.

If you saw him on the track before the FD he was a mess. Fighting the pony and washed out.

He was much more of a professional horse on saturday. And ran like one. I think he only gets better.

He looked just slighty green in the Derby. Very very little though I noticed. Most would not see it. He is getting there fast.

Semipro
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
He looked just slighty green in the Derby. Very very little though I noticed. Most would not see it. He is getting there fast.Please explain as to how he looked green to you.Was it the calm presence in the post parade or the way he loaded in the gate without incidence. maybe it was the way he broke alertly but yet be ratable to the point he was positioning himself exactly where Kent was asking. Maybe it was when he switched leads on cue. Did I miss something or did he veer awkwardly when he hit his best stride and was leaving them in the dirt.

Pace Cap'n
05-05-2008, 10:19 PM
He looked just slighty green in the Derby. Very very little though I noticed. Most would not see it. He is getting there fast.

In what respect?

ny0707ny
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
In what respect?

This is a matter of opinion like everything else. He has fewer races than anyone else in the field. It is not that odd he is not the exact same level. They had more races than he did. I notice the slightest things. That is why I start picking my favorites at 2 for the Derby. I watch every little movement the horse makes during and before races. It is not easy to explain.

Marshall Bennett
05-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Hard to expect perfection after only 4 races . Hopefully they'll race him long enough , though these days chances are slim .

DJofSD
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Please explain as to how he looked green to you.

That's easy. Older TV sets have an adjustment for tint. His was turned slightly too far in the green direction.

ny0707ny
05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
That's easy. Older TV sets have an adjustment for tint. His was turned slightly too far in the green direction.

:lol:
Actually my eyes could only focus on him since my horse I never really seen with the bad start he had. I didn't see the Colonel until the stretch run started. On replay I saw him though make a nice move around the turn.

Pace Cap'n
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
This is a matter of opinion like everything else. He has fewer races than anyone else in the field. It is not that odd he is not the exact same level. They had more races than he did. I notice the slightest things. That is why I start picking my favorites at 2 for the Derby. I watch every little movement the horse makes during and before races. It is not easy to explain.

Help me to understand this...you watched every little movement before and during the race yet cannot name one reason for your statement that he looked slightly green. How can this be?

JustRalph
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM

Wow, I suggest a break. You are starting to embarrass yourself.

Kelso
05-06-2008, 12:33 AM
I notice the slightest things. ... I watch every little movement the horse makes during and before races. It is not easy to explain.
Why does the following exchange come to mind:

George: "I happen to dress based on mood."

Jerry: "But you essentially wear the same thing all the time."

George: "Seemingly, but within that basic framework there are many subtle variations only discernible to an acute observer that reflect the many moods, the many shades, the many sides of George Costanza."

Jerry: "And what mood is this?"

George: "This is morning mist."

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Wow, I suggest a break. You are starting to embarrass yourself.

If you guys are interested I think you can find some books on how to read horses. It is a big part of handicapping. If you take it just as a joke you will never learn anything new.

At least have an open mind and be willing to learn new things in life. :bang:
I was willing to learn from others since the day I started following horses. If you don't learn something new every day, you are not reading enough. Do not be close-minded guys. Thanks. :sleeping:

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2008, 03:31 AM
It's been a long time but....is anyone thinking D2U?

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
It's been a long time but....is anyone thinking D2U?

What is D2U?

cj
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Kreed.

Tom
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Plan B

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Plan B

:bang:

Wickel
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
If you guys are interested I think you can find some books on how to read horses. It is a big part of handicapping. If you take it just as a joke you will never learn anything new.

I was willing to learn from others since the day I started following horses. If you don't learn something new every day, you are not reading enough. Do not be close-minded guys. Thanks. :sleeping:

Are you talking about Joe Takach type stuff, as in physicality handicapping?

Wickel
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
As of now, I'm backing El Gato Malo. He gave Colonel John a run for his money two back. Don't know what happened in the SA Derby. I felt Colonel John and Pyro made nice runs in the Derby, considering they were demolished at the start. The Colonel was squeezed at the start and shuffled back to 17th early on, erasing any chance he had. Pyro was shut off even worse. Both might have not gotten to BB, but it certainly would have been a much closer race.

rrbauer
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
When I looked at my "sheets" for the Derby what stood out was how SLOW most of the field was. BB laid over the field and the filly was 2nd. That's how they ran. The horses that ran 3rd and 4th did that on the strength of absolute ground-saving trips. Maybe a newcomer will show up in the Preakness and give BB a tussle. All BB has to do IMO to win the TC is to stay sound and healthy.

CyberBet
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
ny0707ny

I know what you mean!
I feel the same and cannot point a finger to why either. He just seems like the big kid that should be in 10th grade but is still in 5th and acting like it. It is almost as if when he takes the lead he is saying "OK, what next jock? and kind of loses focus. Although he looked MUCH better on Saturday, than he did in Florida.
I have a close friend that had over 3,000 wins in Europe as a jock and he says the horse is still not focused, and that once he does the world is his. I will take his word for it as I am sure he knows more that I do on the subject. All he did was ride them all day every day, what does he know right? Actually he is now nearing 65 and still rides every morning.

You should hear the old stories and all of the crazyness that went on back then. I can listen for hours on end.
Not really trying to pick here but there are some people that can see things in a horse that the average person may not. I think I can see some things but nothing like my friend. ny0707ny might be that kind of person as well.

newtothegame
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM

I am new...so I appreciate the suggestion on books...but those I could find without the astute knowledge of a pro. The question still posed has yet to be answered.......How did he look green as you mentioned you watched every little move etc etc..? I would like to know from a pro's point of view...as books wont give me the insight to what you saw...

"without the horse...there is no sport".
newtothegame

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
ny0707ny

I know what you mean!
I feel the same and cannot point a finger to why either. He just seems like the big kid that should be in 10th grade but is still in 5th and acting like it. It is almost as if when he takes the lead he is saying "OK, what next jock? and kind of loses focus. Although he looked MUCH better on Saturday, than he did in Florida.
I have a close friend that had over 3,000 wins in Europe as a jock and he says the horse is still not focused, and that once he does the world is his. I will take his word for it as I am sure he knows more that I do on the subject. All he did was ride them all day every day, what does he know right? Actually he is now nearing 65 and still rides every morning.

You should hear the old stories and all of the crazyness that went on back then. I can listen for hours on end.
Not really trying to pick here but there are some people that can see things in a horse that the average person may not. I think I can see some things but nothing like my friend. ny0707ny might be that kind of person as well.

Thanks for not making me look like a crazy man! :lol: I didn't get my information on this subject by books really. They do have books on this subject matter. I think most has to be learned yourself though. I just can tell by watching the horses a lot over the years. It is the same with reading people. Others can spot things you maybe can't in someone. It is very hard to explain.

When Daaher raced before his last and final race he looked annoyed to me in the stalls. He didn't win that race. We found later on he had a injury and had to be retired.

It is funny though because BB has no competition. So it looks like he will win the TC by default. Looking at the horse though I think just the opposite. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I am new...so I appreciate the suggestion on books...but those I could find without the astute knowledge of a pro. The question still posed has yet to be answered.......How did he look green as you mentioned you watched every little move etc etc..? I would like to know from a pro's point of view...as books wont give me the insight to what you saw...

"without the horse...there is no sport".
newtothegame

Your asking the wrong guy. I am not a pro. Im a casual fan of the sport. I just notice little things that is all. Seeing him run in the Derby I just didn't think he was full 100% pro out there just yet. It is not worth mentioning in comments though. One other said it in this thread above also. We will find out by June anyway, so we have to wait and see.

Shenanigans
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM

If a horse has quarter cracks and depending on how bad they are, 2 weeks can be tough on a horse. Quarter cracks happen towards the back part of the hoof, near the heal. They usually start from the ground and crack upwards towards the coronet band (where the hoof meets the hide). Cracks that make it to the band are extremely painful to the horse. Keeping a crack from traveling up is very hard also. Everytime a horse places weight on the hoof, it "flexes" (spreads) moreso towards the heal. Which is the reason it's hard to heal a quarter crack without laying a horse up. The faster a horse moves, more weight is on the hoof and more spreading occurs. Patching, IMO, just covers the crack but how much holding together it does I have my doubts. Bar shoes are used too. Basically they are normal shoes with a straight bar add to the shoe at the heal. The idea is to "hold the foot together." At the same time, it's not allowing a hoof to do what it naturally should do - absorb shock.
If Big Brown truely has quarter cracks and Dutrow gets him through the TC, don't expect to see him run after that, he'll be retired.

newtothegame
05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Your asking the wrong guy. I am not a pro. Im a casual fan of the sport. I just notice little things that is all. Seeing him run in the Derby I just didn't think he was full 100% pro out there just yet. It is not worth mentioning in comments though. One other said it in this thread above also. We will find out by June anyway, so we have to wait and see.

Yeah your right there...I think for the sport, would be nice to see a TC winner...but, I am not sold on BB yet myself.. I will be looking for value in other horses.

"without the horse, there is no sport"
newtothegame

ny0707ny
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
If a horse has quarter cracks and depending on how bad they are, 2 weeks can be tough on a horse. Quarter cracks happen towards the back part of the hoof, near the heal. They usually start from the ground and crack upwards towards the coronet band (where the hoof meets the hide). Cracks that make it to the band are extremely painful to the horse. Keeping a crack from traveling up is very hard also. Everytime a horse places weight on the hoof, it "flexes" (spreads) moreso towards the heal. Which is the reason it's hard to heal a quarter crack without laying a horse up. The faster a horse moves, more weight is on the hoof and more spreading occurs. Patching, IMO, just covers the crack but how much holding together it does I have my doubts. Bar shoes are used too. Basically they are normal shoes with a straight bar add to the shoe at the heal. The idea is to "hold the foot together." At the same time, it's not allowing a hoof to do what it naturally should do - absorb shock.
If Big Brown truely has quarter cracks and Dutrow gets him through the TC, don't expect to see him run after that, he'll be retired.

I don't know much about bar shoes, but from what I hear, everyone says never pick a horse in a race that wears them. Am I right?

DJofSD
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Kreed.

Same as Derek2You?

joanied
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Not only that, but Bb galloped out strong, didn't really want to pull up and barely broke a sweat.

Never underestimate dam side stamina lines.

If by any chance BB has a large heart, it came from his dam's side of the family.

He's not the most gorgeous TB in the world, but he's handsome enough, and he's positively gorgeous in motion. It's effortless for him - so far. Every horse has a limit, but BB hasn't found his yet. A super star doesn't have to win the beauty contest, they just have to be fast.

Was reading through this thread and I thought I'd toss in the X Factor...very good Rackon... I wonder if they have had his Heart Score done...he very well may have a large heart, literally... I'd have to research his pedigree a little, but just having Princequillo in there means BB may have a large heart...wouldn't surprise me at all.

Shenanigans
05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know much about bar shoes, but from what I hear, everyone says never pick a horse in a race that wears them. Am I right?

Personally I wouldn't pick them, but then again, I don't gamble.;)

rastajenk
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Why is it that everybody that sounds like a crackpot comes back with something like "If you can't see it, I can't explain it" or "you must be open to alternative planes of awareness" or similar BS. This ain't navel-gazing on a Himalayan mountaintop; it's handicapping, one race at a time. A little skepticism is okay, but all the little tiny doubts and frears and misperceptions aren't doing anything to slow down the Brown, and the race is to the swift.

BeatTheChalk
05-07-2008, 01:26 AM

Will a ghostly figure of a headless horseman be there
in Baltimore .. to oversee the situation. ? :jump: :bang:

jjm323
05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
As of now, I'm backing El Gato Malo. He gave Colonel John a run for his money two back. Don't know what happened in the SA Derby. I felt Colonel John and Pyro made nice runs in the Derby, considering they were demolished at the start. The Colonel was squeezed at the start and shuffled back to 17th early on, erasing any chance he had. Pyro was shut off even worse. Both might have not gotten to BB, but it certainly would have been a much closer race.

He's running in the Lone Star Derby instead.

joanied
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM

They've been doing it since the TC was started...yep, it's Ok. As long as the trainer knows his horse is coming up to the Preakness is good shape...ya really can't pass it up...even with Big Brown running....they ran against Secretariat...it IS horse racing afterall...and ya never know til they go!!
Big Brown seems to be plenty sound enough, and his feet, as stated by Dutrow, are not an issue...at least not right now. And his Derby run sure didn't seem to take :jump: much out of him.

joanied
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Geeze....give the guy a :faint: break....please. He's crazy about War Pass...maybe if that bothers you so much, you outta quit reading his posts.

Marlin
05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
What am I missing? Why are so many horses lining up to face Big Brown?

DJofSD
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Second place money?

russowen77
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
IMO, this is the race he could be had in, if he stays healthy for all 3. With his breeding he might just pull a Secretariat in the Belmont.

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2008, 03:03 PM
What am I missing? Why are so many horses lining up to face Big Brown?Lots of horses lined up to face Barbaro, and Barbaro won the Derby by a larger margin....

The Preakness is a pretty nice race to hit the board in, so why not take a shot?

LemonSoupKid
05-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I see what you are trying to do with linking the Barbaro example, but I think it is a worthless comparison. The Derby is a race that everyone shoots for, totally unlike the Preakness, and Barbaro wasn't the horse to beat, unequivocally, as Big Brown is now. That is mainly because we didn't have the same knowledge about the horse going in.

Your second comment is right on, however. Traditionally (over the last few years, save for last) place horses were 20-1 or even higher. Midway Road, Magic Weisner, right?

Are you guys playing exotics in this one?

LemonSoupKid

cj
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Barbaro was hyped a lot more after the Derby than Big Brown has been. People have short memories sometimes. :)

Tom
05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Actually, I haven't heard a thing about BB since the Derby.
Only the filly......it's like BB disappeared.

joanied
05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, I haven't heard a thing about BB since the Derby.
Only the filly......it's like BB disappeared.

I think Dutrow isn't as sure about BB in the preakness and is staying low key right now.
A week from today :jump:

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2008, 06:30 PM
You know, Dutrow started getting low key BEFORE the Derby....in that interview with Bob Costas on the NBC telecast, Dutrow couldn't have been more low key, PLUS he backpeddled on his $100,000 bet....he told Costas he wasn't going to bet the horse....

So, to think Dutrow has suddenly become low key for the Preakness might be a misnomer....I think it started a few hours before the Derby....

joanied
05-10-2008, 09:10 PM
You know, Dutrow started getting low key BEFORE the Derby....in that interview with Bob Costas on the NBC telecast, Dutrow couldn't have been more low key, PLUS he backpeddled on his $100,000 bet....he told Costas he wasn't going to bet the horse....

So, to think Dutrow has suddenly become low key for the Preakness might be a misnomer....I think it started a few hours before the Derby....

Now that you mention it...he was rather humble during that interview...in fact, that interview made me like the guy. I just don't know what to think about Dutrow:confused: But, I'm looking for BB to win big in Maryland:jump:

onefast99
05-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Lots of horses lined up to face Barbaro, and Barbaro won the Derby by a larger margin....

The Preakness is a pretty nice race to hit the board in, so why not take a shot?
KD shut him off after he was in cruise control, take into consideration the added distance and his KD win equals barbaros. Barbaro towered over a better bunch of 3 yo's but Big Brown is the real deal and when he wins the Preakness the media will only talk about how he might be the next Triple Crown winner!

onefast99
05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Now that you mention it...he was rather humble during that interview...in fact, that interview made me like the guy. I just don't know what to think about Dutrow:confused: But, I'm looking for BB to win big in Maryland:jump:
Probably realized he didnt include the St Liam winnings on his tax return!!!

BCJMU
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Anyone know where I can find the list of all races/odds at Pimlico for this Saturday (May 17th)?

ryesteve
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Anyone know where I can find the list of all races/odds at Pimlico for this Saturday (May 17th)?I don't think they've drawn entries yet for Saturday...

classhandicapper
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I think Dutrow isn't as sure about BB in the preakness and is staying low key right now.
A week from today :jump:

Apparently Dutrow is a "Sheet" reader and is convinced that Big Brown is at risk because he ran such a big number in the Derby (ground loss aided). So much so, even though he said the horse came out of the Derby in better shape than his prior two efforts, he's been giving the horse a lighter training schedule heading into the Preakness. I always knew that some of "bounce theory" was just misinterpretations of figure fluctuations related to trip, pace, bias etc.... But now I am beginning to suspect that some of it could be a self fulfilling prochecy.

46zilzal
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't think they've drawn entries yet for Saturday...
Equibase has it right here:http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/PIM051708USA-EQB.html

joanied
05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Apparently Dutrow is a "Sheet" reader and is convinced that Big Brown is at risk because he ran such a big number in the Derby (ground loss aided). So much so, even though he said the horse came out of the Derby in better shape than his prior two efforts, he's been giving the horse a lighter training schedule heading into the Preakness. I always knew that some of "bounce theory" was just misinterpretations of figure fluctuations related to trip, pace, bias etc.... But now I am beginning to suspect that some of it could be a self fulfilling prochecy.

NO NO NO... don't take the wind :faint: outta my sails...to hell :mad: with the numbers, Big Brown can't read :jump:

Grits
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Remember when you were a child, playing on the beach and you'd look to the sky and see a little single engine Cessna passing overhead with a long sign attached to the tail...........EAT AT JOE'S.

Brown's gonna have one flying from his tail Saturday that says.......

FEET, DON'T FAIL ME NOW !!!!!!!

Marlin
05-16-2008, 02:38 AM
NO NO NO... don't take the wind :faint: outta my sails...to hell :mad: with the numbers, Big Brown can't read :jump:Don't worry. If Big Brown could read the sheets he would get drunk on Friday and show up late for the race.:)

joanied
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Grits & Marlin....:lol:

winningponies
05-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Big Brown is still the horse to beat. The only question is his soundness and dealing with the short rest. I think that is what Dutrow is worried about. We think the only horse that has any shot of an upset is Gayego. We may key both horses for Trifectas. We also think Icabad Crane may be a bomb that hits the board.

ryesteve
05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Equibase has it right here:http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/PIM051708USA-EQB.html
Yeah, they do NOW, but they didn't 4 days ago when I said they hadn't drawn entries yet :rolleyes:

usedagain1
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
He has gone past being the horse to beat and is now the horse to win. I couldn't beleive how much raw power he has.

The have a blog here, not sure if it is of any value: http://www.crownbigbrown.com/big-brown-blog.html

Onion Monster
05-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm here to take my medicine. I couldn't find anybody in the field to use, so I bet Big Brown to lose (I got 3 to 1). He didn't, I did.