PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown vs Curlin

Burls
05-04-2008, 06:30 AM
It's only a matter of time, you know.
Probably not until The Breeder's Cup Classic so that Big Brown has some time to mature.
Who's going to prevail?

cj
05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I doubt Curlin is going to run on synthetics. The trainer has pretty much said that already. My vote was for a dirt race.

FunkyMonkey
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
how about an option for will never happen...that`s my pick.

mannyberrios
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Big Brown is a great horse.

classhandicapper
05-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'd take Curlin now because he's the more seasoned developed 4YO, but I'm not so sure about in the Fall. On the other hand, I'm not so sure Big Brown will make it to the Fall. With his history of physical problems and the demands of the Triple Crown he could go bad again.

Stevie Belmont
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Ridiculous to think about now anyway..

Curlin is a 4 year old and number 1 horse ranked in the world, it's not fair to compare. Maybe down the road.

This is what racing needs..

My gut tells me the first race Big Brown loses will be his last race

AlanBaze
05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Curlin has raced against a much tougher crop than Big Brown. The Phillies seem to be a stronger more competitive group this year. Big Brown doe'nt want anything to do with Curlin......

russowen77
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Ridiculous to think about now anyway..

Curlin is a 4 year old and number 1 horse ranked in the world, it's not fair to compare. Maybe down the road.

This is what racing needs..

My gut tells me the first race Big Brown loses will be his last race

Unfortuately I think your last statement rings true.

phatbastard
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
or maybe just...''his feet are problematic, we feel the need to retire him''

ny0707ny
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I saw Curlin race at Dubai this year. Nobody is beating him weather they 3,4,5,6. No matter how old they are.

Right Now Big Brown is only in the Hard Spun, Steet Sense range. Both really fast horses but not the top where Curlin is now. Big Brown is only 3 years old so we have to see how he progresses.

If you have three races where he got triple 106 speed figures, that might be his max he will run. We have to see later in the year. Curlin can run near a 120 Beyer. BB would look like an allowance horse.

Indulto
05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Big Brown has already shown more than Curlin the day after the Derby.

Secretariat's steroid use was well-publicized when he encountered difficulties in the breeding shed. How do we know that Spectacular Bid wasn't given them as well?

There are still 3YOs that weren't eligible for the Derby to give him a run in the Preakness, but there is little reason to believe he is not a worthy TC contender.

Here's hoping his hooves hold up and the Torpedeaux learns to ride 10 f races. Based on Dutrow's stakes record this year, you could hardly ask for more. Where were all the naysayers when Frankel was winning everything in sight?

I thought mentioning Dutrow's prior personal problem with drugs was inappropriate at the time given softball questions to everyone else.

JMO.

Fredo515
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I answered Big Brown but I didn't realize the question meant if they raced "right now".

I thought the question was aimed at if they ran against each other as 3 year olds--I think Curlin would win right now but would favor Big Brown if they ran against each other as 3 year olds.

Fredo515
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
PS..Big Brown still looked full of run when he completed the Derby !

Marshall Bennett
05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Big Brown is faster than Curlin . In a match race he'd come out on top , at any distance . Would be cool to see !! With a full field of horses , who knows .

Semipro
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
PS..Big Brown still looked full of run when he completed the Derby !Yes he was really just getting into that overdrive gear in the last furlong and has never been in a close race but for Smooth Air and Eight Belles nothing has even been in the same hemisphere with him and he was drawing away from them who knows how well be would run if tested.Believe me I love Curlin bet him in every race he has run in besides Dubai. Big Brown is the only horse that might beat him I would bet in a match race about 5/1 or higher.

cj's dad
05-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Big Brown is a great horse.

Not until he comes back fresh and ready to run and win in 2 weeks and then 3 weeks later in Ny.

You are probably right, and I hope you are, BUT

jonnielu
05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Probably not until The Breeder's Cup Classic so that Big Brown has some time to mature.
Who's going to prevail?

What's the distance?

jdl

KingChas
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Probably not until The Breeder's Cup Classic
Who's going to prevail?

Monba :(

joanied
05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
What's the distance?

jdl

Of the BC Classic??
1 1/4 mile :)

Burls
05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Prospect of Curlin proves daunting

By MARTY McGEE LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Churchill Downs racing officials have more than five weeks to hustle horses for the Stephen Foster Handicap, but all that time still might not be enough to get a field of much size.

That's because Curlin, the reigning Horse of the Year, is tentatively being pointed to the June 14 Foster, and who wants to run against him?

"Having a horse like Curlin is great, but it sure does make it tough to get anybody else," said Donnie Richardson, senior vice president of racing at Churchill.

Trainer Steve Asmussen said Tuesday at Churchill that he is "possibly, hopefully" intending to run Curlin in the Grade 1, $750,000 Foster, which would mark the colt's first start since his smashing victory in the $6 million Dubai World Cup on March 29. Curlin had his first timed workout since the World Cup when he breezed an easy half-mile in 52.20 seconds here Monday.

"He'll go another slow five-eighths next Monday," said Asmussen. "He's been galloping great. We're going to keep him on a regular schedule. I just want to take it easy and make sure I avoid doing anything too much too soon with the old boy."

Curlin, owned primarily by the Stonestreet Stables of Jess Jackson, has earned more than $8.8 million, a little more than $1.1 million shy of Cigar's all-time record of nearly $10 million. Asmussen said nothing beyond the Foster is set, and it is possible the colt may not run in October in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic, which he won last fall. Asmussen said the Arc de Triomphe and/or the Japan Cup are being kicked around as alternative races so as to showcase Curlin in other parts of the world.

I forgot that the Breeder's Cup will be at Santa Anita, on the poly.
Tom suggested the Jockey's Club Gold Cup on another thread.
That's a 10 furlong dirt race late enough in the year to give Big Brown a bit of maturing time.
If there is a Curlin vs Big Brown showdown, I'm guessing it'll probably be there.

NORTHEAST
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Marshall Bennett]Big Brown is faster than Curlin . In a match race he'd come out on top , at any distance . Would be cool to see !! With a full field of horses , who knows .[/QUOTE ]------ ----That's an interesting point,I'm a fan of both horses and although it's premature to talk about a match race between the two,the idea is very interesting. I remember Dutrow saying that his older stakes horse Diamond Stripes,who won a big race on the Dubai World Cup undercard couldn't stay with Big Brown when they worked out in company together Consider BB is a young 3 year old with little experience, that really says something about how talented this horse really is.-------Let's hope he and Curlin stay healthy.,the thought of the two of them competing against each other this fall is great for racing.

joanied
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
That stuff about running Curlin in the Arc or Japan so people in other parts of the world can see him, is a bunch of crap.

I think because the BC is being run on Poly, the Curlin camp will want to avoid it. I can't recall, but I don't think Curlin has ever been on poly?
In my opinion, they are scared to try Curlin on the Poly.

I think you are right about the meeting of Curlin & BB...the Jockey Club would be the likley place...or the Travers?
I hope they do meet...now that would be a race for the ages!!

Marshall Bennett
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Curlin and Brown are good enough to overcome any surface problems . If they're both sound in the fall I think they'll go . The purse is huge , hard to pass up .

joanied
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Curlin and Brown are good enough to overcome any surface problems . If they're both sound in the fall I think they'll go . The purse is huge , hard to pass up .

I think you're right...at least they SHOULD be good enough to overcome any surface.
And let's see...Tiznow is the only back to back Classic winner...be mighty fine for Curlin and his connections to be the 2nd horse to accomplish that feat.
But, I suppose if they are even thinking about Curlin in the Classic, they'd need to try him on Poly first...
man, if they do run Curlin & BB and several others, if Col. John stays healthy, he'll be there...we may have ourselves a hell of a Classic this year!!
Fingers :jump: crossed

Marshall Bennett
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I think you're right...at least they SHOULD be good enough to overcome any surface.
And let's see...Tiznow is the only back to back Classic winner...be mighty fine for Curlin and his connections to be the 2nd horse to accomplish that feat.
But, I suppose if they are even thinking about Curlin in the Classic, they'd need to try him on Poly first...
man, if they do run Curlin & BB and several others, if Col. John stays healthy, he'll be there...we may have ourselves a hell of a Classic this year!!
Fingers :jump: crossed
A hell of a field anyway . How it would play out on the fake stuff ... hmmm

joanied
05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Sometimes I wonder why they can't combine the poly with dirt...I wonder if that is possible, and if so, wouldn't it perhaps be a good compromise?

Marshall Bennett
05-07-2008, 05:40 PM
yeah ... and run all the graded events on the dirt half . :lol:

jonnielu
05-08-2008, 07:27 AM
That stuff about running Curlin in the Arc or Japan so people in other parts of the world can see him, is a bunch of crap.

I think because the BC is being run on Poly, the Curlin camp will want to avoid it. I can't recall, but I don't think Curlin has ever been on poly?
In my opinion, they are scared to try Curlin on the Poly.

I think you are right about the meeting of Curlin & BB...the Jockey Club would be the likley place...or the Travers?
I hope they do meet...now that would be a race for the ages!!

At 1 and 1/4 Curlin would likely loose by 6, except that being the champion he is, running against Big Brown will bring out the race of his life, to be within one.

The JCGC would be the appropriate race for them to meet. Maybe by then the idiots could figure out that they've been throwing rocks at their Secretariat for 6 months.

jdl

joanied
05-08-2008, 10:56 AM
yeah ... and run all the graded events on the dirt half . :lol:

very funny, very sarcastic...do you feel better now?
I'm sure you are aware that I mean to mix the two in combination...but I guess you just couldn't help yourself.

joanied
05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
At 1 and 1/4 Curlin would likely loose by 6, except that being the champion he is, running against Big Brown will bring out the race of his life, to be within one.

The JCGC would be the appropriate race for them to meet. Maybe by then the idiots could figure out that they've been throwing rocks at their Secretariat for 6 months.

jdl

Throwing rocks at their Secretariat? I'm sorry, I don't get that :confused:

jonnielu
05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Throwing rocks at their Secretariat? I'm sorry, I don't get that :confused:

Well, the last time the TC was not won for 25 years, there was this other race horse, apparently also out of a "bad crop" of 3YO's that stood head and shoulders above all others. His name was Secretariat. Of course, back then fans had some appreciation for a once in a generation champion, and didn't mind that many had trouble staying within 20 lengths of Secretariat.

Some people that were alive in those ancient times, actually realized then that it may be a few years that another of such ability may be seen. Of course, the genius handicappers of today are so good at recognizing ability, :lol: :lol: :lol: that they realize that Big Brown is just a one-time lucky bum on steroids, and probably won't be able to survive the rigors of the Preakness.

jdl

Marshall Bennett
05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
very funny, very sarcastic...do you feel better now?
I'm sure you are aware that I mean to mix the two in combination...but I guess you just couldn't help yourself.
I know what you meant , was suppose to be a joke >>:lol: << .... sry !!

joanied
05-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I know what you meant , was suppose to be a joke >>:lol: << .... sry !!
Oh :blush: Well, crap...guess it flew right over my head
How's this...:D :D :D

joanied
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, the last time the TC was not won for 25 years, there was this other race horse, apparently also out of a "bad crop" of 3YO's that stood head and shoulders above all others. His name was Secretariat. Of course, back then fans had some appreciation for a once in a generation champion, and didn't mind that many had trouble staying within 20 lengths of Secretariat.

Some people that were alive in those ancient times, actually realized then that it may be a few years that another of such ability may be seen. Of course, the genius handicappers of today are so good at recognizing ability, :lol: :lol: :lol: that they realize that Big Brown is just a one-time lucky bum on steroids, and probably won't be able to survive the rigors of the Preakness.

jdl

Thanks for explaining that...I'm feeling rather a dufas at the moment...didn't get what you meant, and didn't get Marshall's joke :bang:

But yes, you are right on...I lived in those ancient times, but knew what I'd been witness to....and I would not be surprised to witenss something like it again...through Big Brown. He may not be another 'Big Red'...but there ain't nothin' wrong in being 'Big Brown' !!!!

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2008, 02:12 AM
I think you are right about the meeting of Curlin & BB...the Jockey Club would be the likley place...or the Travers?Travers = 3yo only.

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Maybe by then the idiots could figure out that they've been throwing rocks at their Secretariat for 6 months.Lovely....

One question....why be such a prick about it?

jonnielu
05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Lovely....

One question....why be such a prick about it?

Over the course of a year and a half, I've been called con man, P.T. Barnum, rip-off, condescending, and now, prick. I've taken all of that shit fairly silently from people that don't know shit from apple butter, and they still don't.

jdl

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
You haven't been called a con-man, because I would not allow such a thing. That's against the terms of this board. Would you like to revise your statement? Or did I miss a post?

If I did miss a post, please reference the link to the post and the user who called you a con-man.

Condescending prick-like attitudes don't come off very well here...perhaps you don't realize how irritating your persona is here...you may be the greatest handicapper and/or innovator in the game, but if you act like a prick, it's going to be difficult for people to notice anything good or interesting you might have to say.

And please realize, I don't make it a habit of calling folks pricks here on this board, especially authorized advertisers....so you must realize how incredibly off-putting you are in many of your posts.

joanied
05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Travers = 3yo only.

Thank you...I goofed:blush: Shame, shame, shame!!!