PDA

View Full Version : Information Please

HUSKER55
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know what happens when they euthanize a horse like eight Belles?

Do they check to make sure the horse wasn't a victim of the trainer, (or someone else), or bad treatment, bad handling or etc, etc?

Do any "authorities" get involved in the process? Who makes the decision?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

husker55

lamboguy
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
we just lost a tremendous athlete. obviously you don't understand that the legs on a horse are very fragile, because proportionally they are to small for their bodies.

there is no chance that the trainer or any other trainer misshandled this horse or anyother horse that raced in kentucky today. these horses are worth millions of dollars.

cj's dad
05-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Please don't look for conspiracy theories. She would have been worth Millions had she continues to progress past today's race.

OTM Al
05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Many states require a necropsy (animal autopsy). It probably won't tell you anthing we don't already know though. I am curious though if there would be any signs of extreme exhaustion that caused her to take the bad step. I noted in my thread that she had been running continuously since September and figured (wrongly) it would catch up with her in the stretch.

Spectacular Sid
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Caifornia probably has the longest running necropsy program. It isn't done to see if someone "got to" a horse but to try and better understand the types of injuries that occur and perhaps figure out a cause. Kentucky not having the most educated of racing commissions, it's doubtful they have such a program. Kentucky has never been about getting to the truth on many things.

Tom
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
If an autospy showed illegal drugs, do you really think it would ever be reported?

I don't.

Good old boy networks run racing.

magwell
05-03-2008, 11:52 PM
If an autospy showed illegal drugs, do you really think it would ever be reported?

I don't.

Good old boy networks run racing. Please Tom you need to take a break.....:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

HEADSUP
05-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Im sure she was insured and you can rest assured they dont pay millions without a thoro exam

joe

Tom
05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Please Tom you need to take a break.....:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Here's a thought - put me on IGGY. You just went there. Break this.

Living Flame
05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
To those of you who babble about accidents happening, and that we shouldn't look for conspiracy theories,etc: You're not thinking. When a human dies unexpectedly, the police get involved. You WANT them to get involved. Yes, accidents happen to both people and animals, but deaths still need to be investigated.

There are people out there who will take a crowbar to a horses leg, play it off as an accident ("The horse kicked his stall") and make a nice chunk of money off insurance. It happens. The FBI has even investigated such things. More often (and this happens a lot), people will knowingly run unsound horses, or horses on illegal meds, and collect insurance money when the horse breaks down. Or, even if they don't do it for the insurance money, they'll still run a horse that has no business being on the track in the hopes that someone will claim him, or because there's a chance the horse will at least finish 5th and bring back a small check.

You need to understand there are a lot of people out there who do not vcare about the welfare of the horse.

Now, in Eight Belle's case, I believe her connections (or at least, her trainer) do care about their animals, and would never think of doing anything that could actually harm them.

But we must do everything we can to understand the nature of her injury and why it happened. Was it due to the hard race she had run? Her breeding? Legal meds? Illegal meds? The track? Training practices? Something the jock did? An undetected injury?

HUSKER55, I have heard they are going to do an autopsy on her. But, it just may not reveal why this happened. Rest assured, her trainer was very upset, and I think her owner was too. They don't seem to be the kind who would ever have intentionally done something to hurt her.:ThmbUp:

Oh, and horses legs do manage to carry them through most races just fine, thank you. It's just that it seems most modern horses are not as strong as they used to be.

I recall hearing about a filly who, many decades ago, won two races - IN THE SAME DAY! And she did just fine. Horses of yesteryear often ran with only a few days between races. They stayed sound, for the most part. Oh, and fillies often ran against the boys, too!:cool:

Kelso
05-04-2008, 01:07 AM
You need to understand there are a lot of people out there who do not vcare about the welfare of the horse.

<snip>

But we must do everything we can to understand the nature of her injury and why it happened. Was it due to the hard race she had run? Her breeding? Legal meds? Illegal meds? The track? Training practices? Something the jock did? An undetected injury?

<snip>

it seems most modern horses are not as strong as they used to be.

I recall hearing about a filly who, many decades ago, won two races - IN THE SAME DAY! And she did just fine. Horses of yesteryear often ran with only a few days between races. They stayed sound, for the most part.

Very nice response to some very reasonable questions, LF. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PurplePower
05-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know what happens when they euthanize a horse like eight Belles?.......Do any "authorities" get involved in the process? Who makes the decision?......All of the states in which I trained and which I have knowledge of their Rules of Racing for my Trainers' Exam Prep Class have a rule that states that all horses euthanized as a result of a racing injury MUST be necropsied and the owner is responsible for the cost. The Association of Racing Commissioners International passed a model rule at their meeting in Austin in March that, when passed by all state racing authorities, will require that all horses that die while within the enclosure (stable area, racetrack or paddock) be necropsied. This will include horses that are found dead in their stalls or that are put down as result of colic or other non-racing injury.

The Racing Commissions are the authority, and the State Veterinarian(s) do the necropsy. The stable's practicing veterinarian may be there to observe. The State Veterinarians look for drugs (legal and illegal) and any other prohibited substances (increased levels of CO2 suggesting a milkshake, or too high a ratio of certain kinds of steroids suggesting exogenous steroids in the system, etc.)

JustRalph
05-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Please don't look for conspiracy theories. She would have been worth Millions had she continues to progress past today's race.

excellent point.......... she could have been sold for milliions after running second in the Derby.

asH
05-04-2008, 03:13 AM
Has anyone ever heard of a horse breaking both front ankles?

She probably injured one , then shifting her weight to take pressure off of that one, injured the other...tough filly

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Has anyone ever heard of a horse breaking both front ankles?

She probably injured one , then shifting her weight to take pressure off of that one, injured the other...tough fillyI've seen it in person, at Aqueduct many, many years ago....although it may not have been ankles, but both legs snapped right after the wire....

HUSKER55
05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I see in the banner ads that Excalibur was horse of the year and died in a slaughter house. You read that and then read about the "not so honest" trainers and owners and you start to wonder.

Also, I am a Reagan fan. I do trust people,...but I feel better when I verify it.

Eight Belles gave everything she had trying to win.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond

:)

husker55