PDA

View Full Version : Making your own Morning line/odds line

Sea Biscuit
05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Making your own Morning line/odds line
When you sit down to handicap do you ever bother to make your own morning line/Odds line?

Every professional handicapper does and you should too. If not for the whole field then just for the one or two or three contenders in a race at least. I know its difficult but you must try.

A morning line/odds line essentially is to assign odds to every horse in a field in relation to its todays chances of winning the race.

How do you go about making a odds line??

Please let me explain how its done.

Suppose you have a race where you give two horses equal chances to win the race.

Their chances of winning would therefore be 50% to win the race.

To calculate the odds for these two horses this is how its done.

100/50=2-1 ( the 1 is constant here)=1

The odds for the above two horses should be even money.

Now if one of the horses goes off at 50 cents to a dollar and the other horse’s odds drifts to 4 to 1 at post time which horse should you bet?. You are darn right if you say the 4 to 1 horse because he is an overlay. Now its entirely up to you to decide what represents an overlay price for you.

Some handicappers go for double their own M/L odds and some even go for 2.5 or three times their M/L odds and a few I know demand 4 times their M/L odds which in my opinion is a bit too much too ask.

Has it ever happened to you when you come across a race where you say that such and such horse would lay over the field and win by 3 or 4 lengths. I am sure it has. But he is the pick of the resident track handicapper and you also figure he will be the post time favorite and you just turn the page and totally forget about this race because you are not a favorite bettor.

Now assuming your handicapping is up to par and the horse indeed has a advantage over the rest of the field by over 3 or 4 lengths, the chances of this horse winning the race is a whopping 95%

Let us take a minute and calculate your own M/L odds for this horse.

100/95=1.05-1=.05

The odds for this horse should really be 5 cents on the dollar. In other words this horse should not pay more than $2.10 for a $2 win ticket.

Now if this horse is going off at even money at post time that would be 20 times your M/L odds.

Like the proverbial saying goes for horse players,

Knock down little old ladies in the line to make your bet on the even money overlayed favourite.

Have fun at the races.

LottaKash
05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey Sea Biscuit, good stuff, and you are absoulutely right about knowing what price you should take on your selection, based on how good a chance he has to win........

I did that for a bunch of years, and I woudl make some money doing it that way.....trouble was with that, for me, I would just be waiting all day, and some nites I would have 5 or 6 winners, and not have made a play all day.....What fun is that ?........

In more recent years, I have learned to ask for more from my selections, and I wait, for only certain situations that meet my criteria for play....Now, this doesn't allow for a whole lot of action, as I generally use only those spot-plays, where I am almost certain my horse will be in the thick of the action, and if everything goes right and he is in position to strike to the wire, I will have a good shot to win.........Given that my win % is up to about 40% at most tracks....So, my bottom line is I will accept 2/1 on my picks....and if it's odds drop at the last minute of play, well so be it, other times it will go up......

For me most races are are almost a toss-up between 2 or 4 horses....and by playing so many races, I found, I was laying out all that cash each nite, I was just breaking even......So, in the end (where I am now), I find that racing is much more rewarding and more fun, since I have tightened my handicapping way up.......

This is just another way of playing your horses without all that tedious Line-Making and waiting for your price.......Or to put it another way, I would rather wait for a good horse @-2/1, rather than wait for that good price at 4/1 or better, and then never get a bet in all night......so much less pressure, that way..

All the best players, do make a line, and they wait for their number before sending it in, because that is exactly what it takes to win in the long haul..... I used to want to bet professionally and make a living this way,...But.Now, for Me, I just like all that Cheap Change coming in at a steady rate......If you do your homework, the wins will come, and screw that odds-line.....haha ... :lol:

Good Luck, have fun, and make a line........:cool:

humbly,

LottaKash
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Also, while we are on this topic, I would like to add something further......

I often use, to good advantage, the EXACTA, as a back up bet, to my WIN Bets.....I always make the WIN bet first, or play a COLD Exacta as in a win bet with one and sometimes two horses for the underneath part.....

Many times the Exacta would protect my Win Bet if my horse happened to lose and be 2d.......Other times when I am trying a Cold Exacta, with my prime horse on top of 1 or 2 horses for 2d, I would play the 2d choice horse for the win, so if my top pick fizzled, and my 2d choice won, it would protect my Cold Exacta........:rolleyes:

Playing this way, if you are a decent handicapper, keeps things in perspective, as a bad night will usually turn out to be a break even nite........so much less pressure and lots more fun....

I used to make a lot of place bets, and there is something good in doing this, and sometimes I still do, but, I have found the exacta to be more profitable........If a horse comes in 2d @ 8/1 and pays $8.40 to place.....and the exacta comes back $32.00. and it only cost you 3 units of betting to get that exacta, well you can well see, that the exacta is a great place bet...After all, Your horse did finish 2d and most likely it was beat by your 2d or 3d choice......if you are a good handicapper, that is....:bang:

humbly,

mrroyboy
05-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Very well written Latta Kash. But now le's get to the good stuff. Who do you like this weekend? LOL

mrroyboy
05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Seriously

The overlay idea is good in theory but very hard to do in practice. You have to know each horses chance of winning plus in a paramutual system good horses get bet.
I think Lotta Kash's approuch is right. Be very selective in your picks and try to get about 2-1.

Stick
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with LK. When you have a spot play methodology at a certain track, you realize what MAO odds can make $ in the long run.The board shifting so much after the start of the race at some tracks also makes a line tough.

LottaKash
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey, guys, glad people are talking here........:jump:

I will take 2/1 or even 7/5 at times,as there is such a thing, as a low priced overlay.......But, I do enjoy the times when, the crowd is lookin' the other way, and they forget all about my little goody.....haha...and my horse romps and goes double digit........:jump:

I am going to write a perspective on Betting Odds in the Horse's last two races...you can look for it over the weekend..... lot of hard earned stuff, that I am willing to share with you.....:jump: ...you can look for it in Tips,Tricks & Angles.........

best,